• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

13 hours ago, Dante said:

Chicken Rochambeau with sides of corn-and-edamame succotash, and roasted red kuri squash

IMG_20231030_201354.jpg

That squash looks amazing, I've never seen it before.  Judging by the rich color I'd imagine it having deep flavor.

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

What is that meat product ?

Boar's Head Strassburger liverwurst. (The deli person took the casing off.) 
It's OK but I only buy it because I can't find traditional Braunschweiger at my local stores. The German place where I used to buy it closed down a long time ago. 

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

What is that meat product ?

• Thanks 1

Last night I fixed something close to a real dinner.  Kenji smashburger with fries cooked in my new deep fryer...

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I love the little fryer.  It is small and light enough that I can pick it up and move it about even when filled with oil.*  For the smashburger I got to use my Demeyere searing pan on my Paragon for the first time in a year.  The bottle of ketchup was a little old.

Something else I had not assayed in months:  using the Watanabe nakkiri on my best hinoki board, I prepared ken cut cabbage.  I dressed the cabbage with mayonnaise and a splash of apple cider vinegar.

Everything came together and I finished my meal not long after midnight.  I slept well.

*room temperature oil

• Like 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/30/2023 at 11:22 AM, Honkman said:

Korean-inspired beef stew - beef chuck braised with daikon, carrots, onions, gochujang paste, red wine, tomato paste, flour, sugar, cilantro and beef broth. Served over rice.

IMG_8428.thumb.jpeg.9bbc1307caa3c48f90cbdc12098349d8.jpeg

This looks absolutely delicious! I'm a big fan of Korean food so anything with gochujang is right up my alley. The mix of flavors from the radish, carrot, onion and the different sauces/pastes sounds really well balanced. Was it tasty?

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

On 11/5/2023 at 10:05 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd never heard of the dish.  Is that the same Rochambeau who one long ago summer day marched past the apartment where I live?  What was the recipe?

It's usually served on French bread, but I used English muffins this time because I saw some at the co-op that looked too good.

It's a layer of toasted bread, then a slice of ham, then a layer of Marchand de Vin sauce, then a piece of poached chicken breast, then a layer of Sauce Bearnaise.   

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lindag said:

That squash looks amazing, I've never seen it before.  Judging by the rich color I'd imagine it having deep flavor.

It really does!  I only add a little butter to it when I cook it, as it has more than enough flavour on its own. Earthy with a bit of sweetness.  It's one of my favourite squashes, well worth seeking out. 

Crabcakes_202311.thumb.jpg.e033990ee9d6f9d376f880f12d596e3e.jpg

Gertie's crab cakes, from 'Chesapeake Bay Cooking' - one of my favorite things on earth. I usually broil crab cakes but this time I tried shallow-frying in ghee and oil. The advantage of the broiler is you can see when the crab cakes need to be flipped. I flipped these a bit early, which meant I had to flip them twice, which meant more falling apart. Fortunately falling apart had zero affect on taste. 😋

Tartar sauce to go with: dill pickles, capers, horseradish, brown mustard, S&P, and mayo. Mrs. C added asparagus from the air fryer to a bagged mix of stir-fried potatoes, mushrooms, and asparagus. No pics, sadly.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

This bucatini has become Charlies new favorite pasta.  I had not ever heard of it until last month and was surprised to find it on the shelf at the grocery store. It is a really fat spaghetti type pasta that is hollow in the middle.

IMG_1231.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Crabcakes_202311.thumb.jpg.e033990ee9d6f9d376f880f12d596e3e.jpg

Gertie's crab cakes, from 'Chesapeake Bay Cooking' - one of my favorite things on earth. I usually broil crab cakes but this time I tried shallow-frying in ghee and oil. The advantage of the broiler is you can see when the crab cakes need to be flipped. I flipped these a bit early, which meant I had to flip them twice, which meant more falling apart. Fortunately falling apart had zero affect on taste. 😋

Tartar sauce to go with: dill pickles, capers, horseradish, brown mustard, S&P, and mayo. Mrs. C added asparagus from the air fryer to a bagged mix of stir-fried potatoes, mushrooms, and asparagus. No pics, sadly.

Suddenly, my planned dinner seems less appealing. Lovely crisp on them.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Of all the delivery meal I've been existing on for months, this was the least travelled. The restaurant is 357 metres  / ¼ mile from my home. I could walk there in 3 minutes when I used to be able to walk.

It's what you probably know as Kung-po Chicken, a term unknown here. It's 宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng).

This dish comes in several forms, even in Sichuan, its birthplace. But usually spicier than I've ever found in the west and richer in fresher Sichan peppercorns.

.thumb.jpg.1c306d042f4c21f17dcc4b4cb5c3d7e0.jpg

This wasn't the best I've had, but not bad. With rice, of course. $2.50 USD.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Scallop_sambal_202311a.thumb.jpg.d6a459af4d2779c231f7e870e3ceaf9f.jpg

Bay scallop sambal (maybe more of a thick curry), jasmine rice, and microwaved peas with butter.

Chile paste of what we had in the house: long red chiles, bird chiles, shallot, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, cashews, and toasted shrimp paste. Sauce was fried and then finished with coconut cream fish sauce, palm sugar, and rice vinegar. I was happy with the end result but it took a bit of fiddling. :rolleyes:

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3