• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Then again, neither of us are as bad as a friend of my grandfathers who told me stories of his buddy putting ketchup in his coffee at hunting camp.... 🙄

I just spend three days on a camping site within the city limits of Amsterdam … anything goes with the right motivation 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I just spend three days on a camping site within the city limits of Amsterdam … anything goes with the right motivation 😎

I suppose with the traditional 'warming' liquids one requires while sleeping outdoors *ahem* - that anything might be....possible.

I have been known to jump into Algonquin park lakes in late May with the proper....motivation! 😛

Black cod came in today. I splurged on this fillet at about $22. Those are fennel fronds from our garden, on olive oil and vermouth de Champéry. I was going to make a white wine and parsley sauce, but it was so freaking good just like this I'm just going to eat it off the stove here, with some local new red potatoes. Pairing with Grüner Veltliner.  Who's coming over...?

IMG_20231005_182754215~2.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 4

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

11 minutes ago, johnnyd said:

Black cod came in today. . . . Who's coming over...?

I will be there in a minute . . . 😃 I wonder if Atlantic and Pacific black cod are the same species - we had some delicious and delicate black cod in the PNW.

Green_bean_chorizo.thumb.jpg.fc8cde2b69439a434bbc72d36274442a.jpg

Bunch of green things to use up so we had a Very Green Dinner. Long beans with chorizo, tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeno, basil, and cilantro. Broccoli with butter and Parmesan cheese

• Like 11

Atlantic cod and Pacific cod are both in the genus Gladus and very similar. 

Black cod, or sablefish, are from the same class, but from a different order (Scorpaeniformes), and are very different, culinarily, than what we would call cod.

• Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

I wonder if Atlantic and Pacific black cod are the same species

My understanding is that all black cod (sablefish) is Anoplopoma fimbria and from the Pacific. The USFDA says that ony the name sablefish should be used to market the species. If your  black cod is from the Atlantic it is probably Patagonian Toothfish (aka Chilean sea bass) instead.

Edited by liuzhou
typo. sticky keyboard (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

As stated we're discussing black cod from the PNW not the Atlantic.

@C. sapidusasked about the difference, if any, between black cod from the Atlantic and that from the Pacific. I replied to that. We are discussing both.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

2 supermarkets advertised Prime Rib @$7.99 / lb. For convenience tonight as I am busy getting the house and menu ready for family gathering for Thanksgiving this weekend, I picked up a single rib roast.  Started at 500F for 20 minutes, then lowered to 225F for 45 min. Tossed in taters as well. Resting took it up from med rare to med, but still good.

Have another meal in some form tomorrow before the turkey and ham!

Hubby's plate:                                                              RibRoast2313.jpg.9471a3ce08f661286eafc2ded8cb8d86.jpg  

And then there's mine!

RibBone2317.jpg.1d698f10cbd7e0065830f187b6070e6e.jpg                                                         

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 10/4/2023 at 4:03 AM, liuzhou said:

These were accompanied by two sachets of tomato ketchup (which should never be anywhere near fish and chips) and a tiny pot of Kewpie sweet mayonnaise. The ketchup went straight into the trash and the mayo had a silver dagger thrust into its heart before being hung, drawn and quartered. The "chips" were pale and limp and the fish was overcooked and dry, despite the coating not being at all coloured. The whole combo had been fried in what tasted like months old well-used oil. The aftertaste won't go away even after me washing my mouth more than once and then gargling several times with 18 year old single malt whisky, purely for medical reasons, you understand..

It is bad enough that you are still in pain and suffering, but you shouldn't have to suffer through a meal like that. 

The ketchup and the mayo would have met the same fate here as well.  

4 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

If the dreaded ketchup wasn't one of the ingredients

It's the same in my house. Ketchup is an ingredient never a condiment. When I was little my mother made her own ketchup and I loved it. Nothing I have ever tasted since can compare with what she made and I just don't like it. And of course, she made 20 quarts at a time and never wrote down the recipe.

• Like 3

Stir fry with char siu (from the batch I posted a while ago), onion, bok choy, carrots and mushrooms.  Served with basmati rice.  This was made sans sauce at the wife's request.  I mixed up my normal sauce of soy, hoisin and cream sherry separately and applied to mine after plating.

stir-fry45.jpg.5b09c94ff6babad74f1b49eec74f3e78.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

7 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Murgh makhani & brussel sprouts.  Some grocery store "naan" as I threw out my shoulder and couldn't lift the mixer nor did I feel like rolling any out.

WAKBEYI.jpg

That naan looks dubious. How is it? Aldi in Australia actually has some pretty good frozen roti that is our go-to, since I can never get my act together to make it.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

After being traumatised by that dreadful "fish and chips" disaster, I went back to China and ordered some 花椰菜炒肉片 (huā yē cài chǎo ròu piàn), stir-fried pork slices with cauliflower. Or I thought I did. What turned up was 花椰菜炒肉末 (huā yē cài chǎo ròu mò), stir fried minced pork with cauliflower. I can live with that.

They offered a choice of four spicy heat levels, no chilli, mildly spicy, hot, or HOT. I went for hot, but suspect they sent HOT. I can live with that, too.

With rice, of course and a side of water spinach.

cauliflower.thumb.jpg.0b533453c0963964263749d84314b917.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

After being traumatised by that dreadful "fish and chips" disaster, I went back to China and ordered some 花椰菜炒肉片 (huā yē cài chǎo ròu piàn), stir-fried pork slices with cauliflower. Or I thought I did. What turned up was 花椰菜炒肉末 (huā yē cài chǎo ròu mò), stir fried minced pork with cauliflower. I can live with that.

They offered a choice of four spicy heat levels, no chilli, mildly spicy, hot, or HOT. I went for hot, but suspect they sent HOT. I can live with that, too.

With rice, of course and a side of water spinach.

cauliflower.thumb.jpg.0b533453c0963964263749d84314b917.jpg

That cauliflower looks almost good enough to eat.  Almost.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, haresfur said:

That naan looks dubious. How is it? Aldi in Australia actually has some pretty good frozen roti that is our go-to, since I can never get my act together to make it.

That's why I used quotes.  Store bought naan is fine until you make it once.  After that it is nearly inedible.  That being said, soaked in curry at least saves it some.  

We were in a pinch time wise.  I make the curry sauce in large batches and freeze it only requiring a quick sear on some chicken and bam dinner.  Sadly we even freeze leftover rice to make it easier as well.  Sometimes speed is huge in particular with two teens in traveling sports.

• Like 3

Chicken pot pie, spicy salsa, pickled garlic scapes with a greens, tomato and olive salad.

It was a busy day yesterday so I went with a Swiss Chalet frozen pie but nothing like home made.

Consumed with a Garrison Brewing Tall Ship ale.

DSCN1260.thumb.JPG.532eed854fd4b406c45d877c4d41c1c2.JPG

• Like 10

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Tonight was a couple of 川香无骨鸡柳卷饼 (chuān xiāng wú gǔ jī liǔ juǎn bǐng) Sichuan Flavour Boneless Chicken Fillet Burritos. Tasty.

_20231007225519.thumb.jpg.c1d9ed752cbc85c5521e6d329b588e70.jpg

@KennethT

I must make Gà Xào Sả Ớt soon, now that I can source lemongrass! A favourite.

Image from Meituan delivery app.

Edited by liuzhou
added image (log)
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight was a couple of 川香无骨鸡柳卷饼 (chuān xiāng wú gǔ jī liǔ juǎn bǐng) Sichuan Flavour Boneless Chicken Fillet Burritos. Tasty.

_20231007225519.thumb.jpg.c1d9ed752cbc85c5521e6d329b588e70.jpg

@KennethT

I must make Gà Xào Sả Ớt soon, now that I can source lemongrass! A favourite.

Image from Meituan delivery app.

I used to make it all the time but it fell out of rotation after I had problems with my lemongrass plant.  Recently I bought some from my local Hmart (a primarily Korean but some other Asian type store) for a barbeque that I keep meaning to post about but haven't yet.... but had some extra, hence....  Usually the stalks I can get here are mostly desiccated husks (I really need to grow a new plant) but these weren't terrible, just not great.

• Like 1