• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

@rotuts Thank you  rotus, I haven’t made one in a long time either and then decided I need more of these!  I had a very large bunch of chard and made a thick bechamel adding the Gruyère at the finish and added additional Gruyère slices prior to the panko.  It was delicious! 

• Thanks 1

@OlyveOyl 

what were your baking parameters ?

were the potatoes previously cooked ?

?they look nicely browned

P.S.:  try just a little freshly grated nutmeg in the béchamel,

or for that matter anything ' white ' ie mashed potatoes 

if you already haven't tried this.   just a little .  not enough to notice ' nutmeg '

I always try to remember this w potatoes , and béchamel back in the day.

Edited by rotuts (log)

@rotus  The potatoes were cooked, I had them on gentle heat while I steamed the chard. And I usually do use nutmeg but I cooked a couple of cloves of garlic with the chard and grated that into the bechamel and on top of the potatoes.  I convection baked 375*ish until the sides were bubbling a bit and the top was browned.

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Honkman said:

Variation on Tom Kha Gai with homemade coconut milk (shredded coconut mixed with hot water and strained), coconut water, coconut cream, lemon grass, ginger, shallots, turmeric, fish sauce, light brown sugar, Thai chili paste, oyster mushrooms, chicken breast, jalapeno, cilantroIMG_8266.thumb.jpeg.d4ed2d3b0f532f6b8b551c979f3c040c.jpeg

Looks great.  Do you have access to palm sugar in Boston?  Compared with light brown sugar, it's flavor is really different (to me it tastes kind of like maple syrup).  I find it makes a big difference in the Thai and other SE Asian food I make.  Plus, it's got a lower glycemic index than sugar, which is just a bonus.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Looks great.  Do you have access to palm sugar in Boston?  Compared with light brown sugar, it's flavor is really different (to me it tastes kind of like maple syrup).  I find it makes a big difference in the Thai and other SE Asian food I make.  Plus, it's got a lower glycemic index than sugar, which is just a bonus.

And if you really want to have fun (at least once) make your own coconut milk from a whole one. Crack open, pry/pop meat out with a round tip knife, and blend with hot water. Pour off and rpeat maybe 2 or 3 times. Just pour liquid off leaving solids. on round 2 or 3 do hand squeeze the solids. Yes a little of the brown "skin" stays in the flesh but no biggie.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, heidih said:

And if you really want to have fun (at least once) make your own coconut milk from a whole one. Crack open, pry/pop meat out with a round tip knife, and blend with hot water. Pour off and rpeat maybe 2 or 3 times. Just pour liquid off leaving solids. on round 2 or 3 do hand squeeze the solids. Yes a little of the brown "skin" stays in the flesh but no biggie.

I'm all for going to lengths to get results, but this is too far!  Plus, most of the coconuts I can get here are already partially desiccated so it could never get me coconut milk like I could get in SE Asia.  The UHT cartons of coconut milk that I use now are remarkably similar to fresh.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I'm all for going to lengths to get results, but this is too far!  Plus, most of the coconuts I can get here are already partially desiccated so it could never get me coconut milk like I could get in SE Asia.  The UHT cartons of coconut milk that I use now are remarkably similar to fresh.

I understtand. I was doing this in the late 70's when coconut milk was a specialty item. But it was kinda fun- became 2nd nature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I never thought to look in the refrigerated section for this; I've always gone for canned coconut milk. Do you have a favorite brand? Anything I should especially look for, or avoid?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

35 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I never thought to look in the refrigerated section for this; I've always gone for canned coconut milk. Do you have a favorite brand? Anything I should especially look for, or avoid?

UHT = ultra high temp = shelf stable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, heidih said:

UHT = ultra high temp = shelf stable

Thanks. So am I looking for a can or a carton? Where?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, heidih said:

might be time to make--  Poisson Cru

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels