• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Tried out the Costco gyro meat.  Had made some israeli hummus in the fridge and everything else to dress it up right.  My youngest son took the job of frying the pita dough and all knife work by my older.  Was a fun night cooking with them.

i9VXis3.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Tried out the Costco gyro meat.  Had made some israeli hummus in the fridge and everything else to dress it up right.  My youngest son took the job of frying the pita dough and all knife work by my older.  Was a fun night cooking with them.

i9VXis3.jpg

Aren't those the best kinds of dinners? I love the chaos I guess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

Ricotta, radish and nigella seeds.  The seeds offer a hint of onion.

Cauliflower, cubanelle peppers with oil cured black olives, salt cured capers, peperoncino, basil and parsley .  Anchovy, garlic, lemon vinaigrette.

Artichokes, ham and all of the above….eat the rainbow tonight!

IMG_2791.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_2788.png

Your meals are not only beautifully photographed but they are truly mouthwatering.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

I have posted these before, but make no apology for the repeat; when something's that good...

香辣海虾 (xiāng là hǎi xiā), Spicy Sea Shrimp. A generous portion of large, fat, juicy, very fresh sea shrimp with a rich, spicy sauce. The shrimp are whole shell- and head-on. ¥33.90 (inc rice and delivery); $4.68 USD

.thumb.jpg.10a55bf7482d5e2add49d3202d6da4c6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

19 hours ago, Duvel said:

And we’ve finished the round ‘round Lake Constance 🥳

So, tonight a bit of celebration in a lovely Swabian restaurant at out starting & finishing point Friedrichshafen

Beer to start with (bit thirsty) …

IMG_0458.thumb.jpeg.195b414984dca71b9c678ea60fc86a36.jpeg

Geschmälzte Maultaschen with gravy for yours truly …

IMG_0460.thumb.jpeg.7b779252053301e2298169468ac4cd11.jpeg

Little one opted for the Käsespätzle - these were excellent, thanks to a generous use of Bergkäse

IMG_0462.thumb.jpeg.949e3acfc7a54337b9a845c31194c671.jpeg

DW had the rib eye with herb butter and Parmigiano fries …

IMG_0463.thumb.jpeg.96fdcc0e273fee7596bc183f7eba3dd1.jpeg

A dessert to share for 2/3 of the family …

IMG_0465.thumb.jpeg.d06580a8962826566ccdb77c8f92e273.jpeg

And a Bodensee whiskey (that was a bit Obstler like) for me 🤗

IMG_0466.thumb.jpeg.4fb5917f8773919f76c2eaf966a4b2ee.jpeg

Is that a cloud berry on the dessert? YUM

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Is that a cloud berry on the dessert? YUM

I am not familiar with that name … I remember it to be cape gooseberry in English, but then again: not my native language. It is this

Definitely YUM !!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

I am not familiar with that name … I remember it to be cape gooseberry in English, but then again: not my native language. It is this

Definitely YUM !!!

Cape gooseberries go under many names, both in Chile and Peru, their native habitat, and in English. In Latin they are Physalis peruviana.

Local names in South America include aguaymanto, uvilla and uchuva as well as many other dialect and regional names. In English they can be Cape gooseberries, goldenberries or Peruvian groundcherries.

Here in China, they’re called 灯笼果 (dēng lóng guǒ), which translates as ‘lantern fruit’.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Cape gooseberries go under many names, both in Chile and Peru, their native habitat, and in English. In Latin they are Physalis peruviana.

Local names in South America include aguaymanto, uvilla and uchuva as well as many other dialect and regional names. In English they can be Cape gooseberries, goldenberries or Peruvian groundcherries.

Here in China, they’re called 灯笼果 (dēng lóng guǒ), which translates as ‘lantern fruit’.

Thanks … this is exactly in line with the linked article. 

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

Definitely YUM !!!

I think those are also called tomatillos. Some small ones are called ground cherries.

I grow them in my garden.

dcarch

Today's harvest

PXL_20230812_011420965_MP1.thumb.jpg.977e1835fa8b6585871c09f48dcd502c.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

These are tomatillos. Not the best looking ones that you will find but here in Costa Rica, Beggars can't be choosers.

20230811_193810.thumb.jpg.554738b5b92ad3209c2cbc494ef1b06d.jpg

I just looked on Google and they do show a yellow one that they call goldenberry. Seems like tomatillos come in all colors.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

I think those are also called tomatillos. Some small ones are called ground cherries.

I grow them in my garden.

Seems tomatillos are close relatives: same family (physalis), but different species (tomatillo = physalis philadelphica, Cape gooseberry = physalis peruviana). Both feature the “husk” around the fruit body, but the former seems to be larger and less tart, in general …

• Like 1

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I have posted these before, but make no apology for the repeat; when something's that good...

香辣海虾 (xiāng là hǎi xiā), Spicy Sea Shrimp. A generous portion of large, fat, juicy, very fresh sea shrimp with a rich, spicy sauce. The shrimp are whole shell- and head-on. ¥33.90 (inc rice and delivery); $4.68 USD

The shrimp look amazing! The shells like crunchable...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sous vide followed by a sear in cast iron pan - strip loin roast last night.  A hasty version of the crispy roast potatoes @Shelby? had posted. Yorkies, peas and green peppercorn gravy complete the meal.

Roastbeef1805.jpg.c09a7a745a5ce00e83832e2227e43f16.jpg

Had 2 slices of the roast left. Did a redux into Beef Stroganoff over Pappardelle pasta.

BeefStroganoff1810.jpg.7846f7fe31f19b3cdb7503518f3f1a11.jpg

Dessert was another new find at the little Chinese grocery store: five-nut moon cake is a favourite, more enjoyable than the usual lotus paste and salted egg yolk variety. I bought 3 tins of 4 cakes each. They keep well in the freezer, but I will be gifting some to the Chinese elders. Only one of my kids like moon cakes, so he will have some to take back to NFLD when he comes to visit end of the month.

GreshDatesMooncake.thumb.jpg.f3a0e2b6b22cc670bd2c3f8fe2297b0e.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Brought the little one to his grandparents for a week, so 700 km of driving. Wasn’t feeling like making dinner and considered getting a burger at a global franchise outlet. Reconsidered after checking their offers and made one myself instead ..,

Double patty, Gruyère, tomato, pickles and crispy bacon. Damn good & of course served on an IKEA plate. Enjoyed with the new season of Only murders in the building

IMG_0491.thumb.jpeg.1528f1872fa295ccb14184360431667b.jpeg

Good choice ☺️

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Not a beauty contest 😁 

Just want to show you what I have been having from the garden for lunch  and dinner everyday last week. ( I don't normally eat breakfast)

dcarch

PXL_20230811_144855844_MP1.thumb.jpg.15fce0c346c005ac592673a04ef7deeb.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5