• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

🧠 "Do not follow Sirloin and Parisienne Potatoes with your b××lsh××. Do NOT follow Sirloin and Parisienne Potatoes with your b××lsh××!" 

Hey Guys! 

20230808_174014.thumb.jpg.443b0deb8585f1801f2dadf8e2273fd0.jpg

Brown Rice, Lamb Koftas, Frozen Veg, World's Ugliest Plate. 

The kid loved it though 🤷‍♀️

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

Last Friday night's dinner, at a quite new restaurant in Greenwich Village (in the sub neighborhood known as the "west village") called Libertine. (For the second week in a row, dining at a place where we'd not been before, we were seated at basically the best table in the house - for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Hewing somewhat classic French bistro, the quite compact menu yielded some delicious food.

IMG_9980.thumb.jpeg.2add60a111052375b7a470c7b6272087.jpeg

Jambon persillé.

IMG_9981.thumb.jpeg.919a018ccd16f1cb94404e8d535c0717.jpeg

Saucisse purée.

Last night's simple dinner...

IMG_0003.thumb.jpeg.b920b2b6352250a0f9c513d8d15dda0e.jpeg

Spaghetti with red clam sauce.  Roasted broccolini served with.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

IMG_9981.thumb.jpeg.919a018ccd16f1cb94404e8d535c0717.jpeg

Saucisse purée.

So much more elegant than "bangers and mash," no?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

that jambon slice looks perfect.

too bad their wb site does not offer a menu.

Their menu is hard (but not impossible) to find online.  In the restaurant, it's on a blackboard, allegedly so they can change it at will (which they may do after the review cycle).

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Due to a run of unusually cool days, last night I needed homemade soup.

Minestrone, consisting of the usual suspects handily made in the crock pot.

Next will be a new one for me and I imagine it will be a killer soup and I can't wait to try it out.

Hot Ukrainian Borsch

(recipe from America's Test Kitchen.com)

Broth

1 (2-pound) boneless pork butt roast, well trimmed and cut in half
onion, halved
large carrot, sliced 1 inch thick
bay leaves
½ teaspoon table salt
10 cups water

Soup

pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ small head green cabbage, halved, cored, and sliced thin crosswise (5 cups)
1½ teaspoons table salt, divided
¼ cup vegetable oil
onion, chopped fine
ounces beet, trimmed, peeled, and shredded (2 cups)
 carrots, peeled and shredded (1½ cups)
(6-ounce) can tomato paste
⅓ cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
tablespoon lemon juice, plus more for serving

FOR THE BROTH: Combine all ingredients in Dutch oven and bring to boil over high heat. Adjust heat to simmer and cook, covered, until pork is tender, about 2 hours, occasionally skimming foam off surface.2Transfer pork to large plate or cutting board. Discard onion, carrot, and bay leaves. When pork is cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces (it's OK if meat starts to shred). Skim fat from surface of broth. (Alternatively, cool broth completely and refrigerate overnight. Refrigerate pork separately.)

FOR THE SOUP: Reserve ½ cup broth. In Dutch oven, bring remaining broth to boil over high heat. Add potatoes, cabbage, and ½ teaspoon salt. Adjust heat to maintain gentle simmer and cook, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beets, carrots, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste (mixture will be thick) and cook until fragrant and tomato paste is slightly darkened in color, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add reserved broth, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits.

Add beet mixture to Dutch oven and stir gently to combine. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in pork, dill, lemon juice, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Portion borscht into bowls and garnish each serving with more dill. Serve. (Borscht can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 4 months.)
  • Like 3

Looks good.

My ex's (Mennonite) grandmother made a "zummerborscht" that's very nice at this time of the year.

Use a ham or chicken broth, some new potatoes, baby carrots and beet tops, then finish it with about 3 times as much fresh dill as you think necessary (I'll often put in a whole stalk of dill, then fish it out at the end and sprinkle some chopped dill over the top as a garnish). At the table, add a splash of buttermilk if desired (it's good!). Can also be served chilled with the buttermilk already in it, if you're a cold-soups person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

36 minutes ago, lindag said:

Due to a run of unusually cool days, last night I needed homemade soup.

Minestrone, consisting of the usual suspects handily made in the crock pot.

Next will be a new one for me and I imagine it will be a killer soup and I can't wait to try it out.

Hot Ukrainian Borsch

(ste. Portion borscht into bowls and garnish each serving with more dill. Serve. (Borscht can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 4 months.)

I'll be making Ukrainian Borscht as well later today. The recipe I use is similar except I add a can of Pork and Beans at the end, something our Ukrainian Baba friends did. And of course, LOTS of dill added while cooking and before serving.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Grandson wanted to learn how to cook fish that isn't dry, so we teamed up and cooked up pickerel and new taters (parboiled then finished in Ninja toaster oven.  We just did my usual, brush the fillets with mayo and coat with fine cracker crumbs. He took home leftovers and a package of frozen fillets to cook another day on his own.

PickerelTaters1732.jpg.a4326a1818ab02f1f6ba3c85c5d3caf2.jpg

Breaded pork loin chops in mushroom gravy. I find lean pork chops often dry cooked "naked", but this way, always tender and juicy.  A can of Campbells mushroom soup with added fresh sauteed mushrooms work great. The pan is finished in the oven. Corn is lovely at this time, and I have an over-abundance of green beans. I think green beans, purple ones and Romanos have taken over the mysterious zucchinis that appear on door steps. I have been finding bags at the door as well as harvesting from my small patch in the glower bed - the only edible i plant! LOL!

PorkChopsmushroomgravy1738.jpg.1d539dc2b0add93877febaab60bd2573.jpgPorkChopsplated1740.jpg.6d533f1cc47af34890bea5f6986501e0.jpg 

Steak, leftover noodles, and Romano beans with fuyu

SteakBeans1708.jpg.63ecaa732a284793ed53854dd7164670.jpg

Walmart had chickens on for $1.97 / lb! Cut up 2 and did up a tray of Citrus Marinated Roast Chicken. Shared with our very helpful bachelor neighbor, and some leftovers for lunch next day.

CitrusMarinatedRoastChicken1749.jpg.55b5722a536182f3d3632eb469754653.jpgCitrusMarinatedRoastCHickenplated1754.jpg.8ddc168099dbf311b6f9519f5222d187.jpg

Was given 3 Kohlrabi, so made soup with pork bones. Opened the last can of Fried dace, added some lapcheung to stir-fried Shanghai Bok Choy

KolhrabiSoup1748.jpg.0eaca3fe0da3586a1deace25f317aa81.jpgFriedDaceBokChoyLapcheung1766.jpg.bc0708f181d74f16da04d1fbc1a1c1c4.jpg

Dessert was the most expensive Dragon Eyes I have ever eaten! I didn't realize they were 12.98/lb! I bought 2 bundles to share with my brother, and realized when I got to the car, I paid $44.00!
But they are a rare treat here, so I kept them and savoured every one!

DRagonEtes1736.jpg.de61ec59f0c57502cde477fae3a5d7ae.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah 

love your pork chop Rx

when I started to cook 

Campbell's  creamed soups 

w add-ins   made tasty meals.

dry red table wine ,  mushroom soup , some garlic

chicken thighs   baked 

Coq au Vin , close enough for the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Last Friday night's dinner, at a quite new restaurant in Greenwich Village (in the sub neighborhood known as the "west village") called Libertine. (For the second week in a row, dining at a place where we'd not been before, we were seated at basically the best table in the house - for reasons beyond my comprehension.

They know you are an influencer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

They know you are an influencer.

Not even on a good day.  Though I imagine there's a fair amount of "where I've eaten, maybe even how I've tipped" in the RESY/Open Table/The Fork apps.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

Your reputation precedes you. One of the original internet influencers.

edit: I see I was beaten to it.

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

After a thankfully uneventful trip home from Mexico, we very much enjoyed a simple dinner of barbequed hamburgers and fresh corn, eaten on our deck. It is PNW cool and no humidity to speak of. Blissful and not in the least taken for granted.

• Like 9

On 8/7/2023 at 10:11 PM, Ann_T said:
Green Peppercorn Steak for dinner tonight.
Steak was a Sterling Silver NY York Strip that weight just over 17 oz. Big enough for Moe and I to share.
GreenPeppercornSteakAugust7th2023.thumb.jpg.bb2db8aa1b1343d28a60406f7119fe99.jpg
Served with Parisienne potatoes, sautéed cremini mushrooms and steamed carrots and asparagus.
Steak is always an easy worknight dinner.

Looks amazing. Ive never used green peppercorns. Are they softer then black peppercorns? Milder in pungentcy?

Edited by FeChef (log)

Something new for me: white bitter melon. Taste the same. Not sure if it was more expensive as it was given by a cousin who found it at a Chinese supermarket in Winnipeg.
Cooked it the same way as I usually do with the green melons: fermented black bean garlic sauce. Used pork instead of beef this time as I was prepping a huge amount of pork for Char Siu.

whiteBitterMelon1779(1).jpg.d460f17ae8037dca43d27f927762e891.jpgPorkBitterMelon1782.jpg.bd92fbf43c4f89c543031330e97cd4da.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Continuing the Lake Contance circumnavigation …

The way from Switzerland to the (German) city of Konstanz was miserable. It rained non-stop. We managed to build up the tent in a more or less “dry” state …

IMG_0439.thumb.jpeg.c899470d38be50211c204362c391dfc2.jpeg

… and headed straight for the nearby thermal swimming pool/spa, where we spend the rest of the day. I wasn’t in any mood to cook anymore, so we enjoyed some items from the camping’s restaurant:

Drinks: Fanta for little one and local beer(s) - quite pleasant …

IMG_0401.thumb.jpeg.aedd890c8204c64d6360a00234bfa165.jpeg

Fresh lake fish, in a fish & chips style …

IMG_0405.thumb.jpeg.050210d5c70e279dd14b945843341c34.jpeg

Little one wanted burger …

IMG_0404.thumb.jpeg.c3405c6b2e4dad02131aaec58fa07fad.jpeg

And we had a garlic bread (because I saw the cook handling some fresh dough when I ordered, so I had to sample - it was very good 👍)

IMG_0406.thumb.jpeg.c9cff4b5a411c70cab65a277b249d5ed.jpeg

All in all a pleasant ending to an slightly wetter day than anticipated 😉

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Second to last day of Lake Constance …

After a day-long visit (in surprisingly good weather) to the flower island of Mainau

IMG_0411.thumb.jpeg.0e27ae04c99451121d66f9a0a7068ddd.jpeg

… it was time for the culinary highlight of this tour: the obligatory can of Dosenravioli (as recently discussed here) …

IMG_0418.thumb.jpeg.76ee3b282314bab042448808293dbd7a.jpeg

IMG_0424.thumb.jpeg.67cbc6a9f703515a6eec7d88a3088c9a.jpeg

As others in the family were not so enthusiastic, we also had some roasted chicken from the supermarket (no way to make that look sexy) …

IMG_0422.thumb.jpeg.b32e96766ea979bb163f411514f78b1f.jpeg

… and some salad 🙄

Plus another beer to try from the town, which wasn’t bad, either !

IMG_0425.thumb.jpeg.a458f076190c0691513d833d3997c857.jpeg

After dinner we enjoyed a leisurely stroll along the lake in the sunset …

IMG_0432.thumb.jpeg.8eb0c804573de0d14cd91553907f37b3.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Another favourite. This time from Hunan. 孜然炒牛肉 (zī rán chǎo niú ròu), Cumin Beef and a very good version, too.

cuminbeef.thumb.jpg.f49f2db9864cc6135e55f0f2a03b61bc.jpg

This is very similar to my preferred 肉夹馍 (ròu jiā mó) filling. What's not to like?

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, FeChef said:

Looks amazing. Ive never used green peppercorns. Are they softer then black peppercorns? Milder in pungentcy?

I love green peppercorns in different sauces.   You can buy them brined or dried.  I only use the dried ones because I don't like the flavour that the brine adds to a dish. 

I usually just soak the dried ones in chicken or beef broth, or wine to soften them a little before adding to a sauce.     

• Like 1