• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The iconic “Maggi Dosenravioli” turns 65 today !

Duvel

An article worth running through the Google translator: the iconic Maggi Dosenravioli turns 65 today !

Not haute cuisine, some argue not even cuisine at all, but it’ll do when needed …

This ad from the 70’s reads “travel, rest and Ravioli” …

3b4cdba0-357c-49eb-a48d-2175c51e1d97_w71

… and me and the little one agree !

10357E48-1BE3-4B21-B5D6-00CFD220F1D3.thumb.jpeg.8b3dabc8be9ea7852ad88b358aa1bdcd.jpeg

9747A385-81C4-4398-B77A-1B41037C31B3.thumb.jpeg.76f26a3f6d07b5c845df083432d8348a.jpeg

Happy Birthday, Dosenravioli !

• Like 7

very interesting .  wonder how different it is from

a local product :

shopping-1.thumb.jpeg.9bde05bc4422a32fa7ba20286929865b.jpeg

this served me well  ( w cheese added  that would melt )  years ago.

got re-aquanted with it over the pandemic ( via Target delivery of cases of 12 )

and found this 

lasagna-can-40247.png.f3c84dd1bc22892ef84907917d250fde.png

preferable these days .  ( with cheese that melts in the Micro )  very similar ingredients 

years ago the Ravioli went  in a toaster oven ( G.E. ) 

35 minutes ago, rotuts said:

very interesting .  wonder how different it is from

a local product :

shopping-1.thumb.jpeg.9bde05bc4422a32fa7ba20286929865b.jpeg

Without knowing exactly and based on the picture I’d say probably quite similar …

If your product also requires a bit of extra spice and some molten cheese and tastes best when the consumer is slightly inebriated, it’s likely exactly the same 🤗

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

tastes best when the consumer is slightly inebriated,

Or when it's a cherished childhood memory. My husband's stepmother was a stingy mean woman and they rarely got enough to eat. One of his fondest memories was the few times that she served them this. He loved them to his dying day.

• Like 2

My G.E toster oven got me through my first year of Trade School

s-l500.jpg.915f88a16a7e169c256109b75c35e6d2.jpg

it worked for years and years and more years

back then " ' 70's "   some dried oregano and jack cheese was added .

pre ( and post ) pandemic :   Penzey's Tuscan blend  ( it has a touch of anise )

and TJ's parmesan-ish  and granulated garlic 

table wine infusion starts before the exact can is selected .

during the early Pan :  ravioli , spaghetti and meatballs , and lasagna 

were  the selections.   these were evaluated ,  and , the meatball in the

spaghetti wasn't bad at all !  noodles , not so much .  lasagna ( sic )

was determined to be above the rest .

even now , when its the Lasagna ( sic )

I discovered a ' case ' from Target that's not that far out of date !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Without knowing exactly and based on the picture I’d say probably quite similar …

If your product also requires a bit of extra spice and some molten cheese and tastes best when the consumer is slightly inebriated, it’s likely exactly the same 🤗

Anecdote: my father found himself child-sitting a granddaughter whose Italian grandmother on the other side made fabulous ravioli.    Trying to entertain the child, he asked if she were hungry (yes), looked in the cupboard and asked if she would ravioli (yes).   So he opens and heats a can of Chef Boyardi and serves her a bowl.

Looking aghast, she blurted, "THOSE aren't ravioli."  

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

eGullet member #80.

Going down the canned ravioli rabbit hole, I learned that canned ravioli was pioneered by the Italian army during the WWI. Ettore Boiardi and his company probably started cranking out canned ravioli here in the US in the 1930s but it was the rations contracts during WWII that really grew the Chef Boyardee company. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

To paraphrase Mary Poppins, "Just a small glass of Weisen helps the Dosenravioli go down, the Dosenravioli go down, the Dosenravioli go down....

That was two years ago, when I took little one on his first bicycle tour up the “romantic Rhine”. This picture is taken after his first day, just 25 km of cycling - he was done.

But then: buying the can in the campings snack shop, opening the can with a Swiss Army knife (that didn’t really had a proper can opener 🙄), heating it up over a propane cooker and finally eating the raviolis, sitting in front of the tent and watching the Rhine river flowing by, just a few meters from the tent - one of the tastiest meals he had 🤗

And truth to be told: I enjoyed it as much as him. Beer wasn’t necessary …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Funny how circumstances can dictate how much better foods like that taste. When I lived on the lake in Hot Springs, we would periodically take the boat and go up the lake to the dam (WONDERFUL on hot days, when the 60-degree water flowing through the outlet at the bottom of the dam would drop the air temp 10-15 degrees. On one such trip, we were WAY upstream from civilization when we decided we were starving. Pulled in at the marina, perused their snacks. Not a lot on offer, but we got potato chips, Saltines, and several cans of Vienna sausages (colloquially pronounced in the rural South as vy-AY-nee, I swear).

Awful little things. But that hot day, sitting in an upside down ski vest in the cool end of Lake Hamilton, they were five-star.

Explanatory note 1. Lake Hamilton lies between two dams, Blakeley Dam, which actually forms Lake Ouachita, and Carpenter Dam, which forms Lake Hamilton. So there’s a cold end and a warm end.

Explanatory note 2. If you turn a ski vest upside down, stick your legs through the armholes, and fasten it at your waist, it’s like an armchair in the water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com