• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

1st Course was pizza.. same old flat bread we do often so no pictures.

Dessert was Crème Brûlée!

I got a searzall pro and my brother doesn't do chocolate so my wife decided to make this.

All set with the Searzall and the raw sugar on top.

20230429_183500.thumb.jpg.7478472099077a4857000eb5e8fd5257.jpg

Now with crunchy top. worked very well!

20230429_183801.thumb.jpg.847da76b518b7ba2b6cb2eb1da74229a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

14 hours ago, heidih said:

So is the green unblanched (growing style) valued at all? Sure drives growing cost up. I tried to blanch cardoons once... 

In Germany during Spargel season the white phenotype reigns supreme. 

The green one is available year round (imported), typically smaller and predominantly used as a side veggie, while the white seasonal one is the main.

The green phenotype is much cheaper to produce, because you don’t need all that extra work to keep the sunlight away (grown in covered earthwalls until ready, dug out and cut manually, …). Green asparagus can be grown in a regular field and machine-harvested.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, it's not Spargel, but it's our first pick of the season :) 

thumbnail_IMG_4388-1.jpg.07afad3490f4df13564c590ff5ceadbf.jpg

Along with SV steaks

thumbnail_IMG_4389.jpg.c24e32afdfbaf927b5597d31ce9132b6.jpg

Venison spaghetti red

thumbnail_IMG_4393.jpg.02905106240f7b7d63527b908b821e48.jpg

Quesadillas to use up left over steak

thumbnail_IMG_4396.jpg.16e2b492257add76fa40ceef480488a3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4397.jpg.b50cf79e2720c78e8dfe83daf9ec6205.jpg

Lemon posset for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_4399.jpg.05cb0e893cc6535b6a0e1ff488222694.jpg

I got some mussels from Misfits a while back.  Also some shrimp and scallops so decided to make cioppino.  Used my canned tomatoes.  Fresh basil and dill from the garden.  Turned out really well and hit my seafood spot.

thumbnail_IMG_4405.jpg.ef39449ae45e8367efba7b01fcf57a77.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4406.jpg.98356105535ed4533485881d81653e31.jpg

Lots of sourdough bread to sop up the broth

thumbnail_IMG_4407.jpg.9b86643324303dbda1fc0bad4e098b2c.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 6

@Shelby 

there is a Lot of tasty Wow 

in your post .

Im assuming te MisFits Seafood was frozen  

how was it packed ? 

Vac'd ?    

I also assume you used it directly from Fz 

how did you cook it ?     

in a ' broth '   ?   low simmer ?

Wow again !

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

there is a Lot of tasty Wow 

in your post .

Im assuming te MisFits Seafood was frozen  

how was it packed ? 

Vac'd ?    

I also assume you used it directly from Fz 

how did you cook it ?     

in a ' broth '   ?   low simmer ?

Wow again !

Yes,  the scallops, shrimp and mussels are all vac packed (separately).  The mussels are already cooked.  So, from frozen I put them (plus the rest of the seafood) in the broth and gently steamed with the lid on for about 7 mins or so until the mussels opened up.  I was skeptical about the already cooked mussels but we really enjoyed them.

@Shelby 

the mussels were cooked , but still in the closed shell ?

thus your timing for the mussels ' to open up '

and the other Fz seafood was added Fz  , at the beginning ?

I ask    as  can get various vac'd seafood   

broth I certainly understand ....

gives me something to think about ..

BTW  :  all our tastes differ , in out own ways .

Im not a fan of ' tomato ' in a fish stew.   

I grew up on The Peninsula  3/4 down  ( San Francisco )

there was a very fine fish restaurant , quite close to your home

" Fish House      

informal , lots of room for the tables 

fish   very fresh   grilled , baked etc

they did a Cioppino that was outstanding :

packed w all sorts of seafood , perfectly cooked .

friends got it all the time and loved it 

it was that good .

I just thought it would be better w a non-( even light ) tomato broth   

How Odd .

I used to grow my own tomatoes 

3 rows of 8 plants each , started from seed.

soaker hose , black plats, an home made cylindrical cage 

from 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/5-ft-x-150-ft-Steel-Mesh-Roll-05042/206154692

still have a 1/2 spool !   maybe 50 USD back then ?

mid January , inside of course.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

the mussels were cooked , but still in the closed shell ?

thus your timing for the mussels ' to open up '

and the other Fz seafood was added Fz  , at the beginning ?

I ask    as  can get various vac'd seafood   

broth I certainly understand ....

gives me something to think about ..

BTW  :  all our tastes differ , in out own ways .

Im not a fan of ' tomato ' in a fish stew.   

I grew up on The Peninsula  3/4 down  ( San Francisco )

there was a very fine fish restaurant , quite close to your home

" Fish House      

informal , lots of room for the tables 

fish   very fresh   grilled , baked etc

they did a Cioppino that was outstanding :

packed w all sorts of seafood , perfectly cooked .

friends got it all the time and loved it 

it was that good .

I just thought it would be better w a non-( even light ) tomato broth   

How Odd .

I used to grow my own tomatoes 

3 rows of 8 pants each , started from seed :

mid January , inside of course.

Yes, here is a picture from the website I ordered them from (the mussels)

thumbnail_Screenshot2023-04-30at10_21_56AM.png.c7b2afd4612795de8d551999f770159b.png

I don't know how they did it lol but I was afraid they would be tough and rubbery but they were very tender.

I like a little tomato in this...especially my home grown ones.  I used chicken broth that I had frozen and added a couple of shrimp bullion cubes to give it more depth.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yes, here is a picture from the website I ordered them from (the mussels)

I find this astounding. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.91f3c998b9a8511d71b097a93d9c357a.jpeg

Marcella's pan-roasted chicken, with white wine, rosemary and garlic. Whole chicken, cut up, pieces browned in olive oil, removed, pan deglazed with white wine, white wine reduced, garlic and rosemary and chicken added back until done. This (obv) is Significant Eater's plate, breast deboned and sorta carved (hey, it was hot). Roasted "peewee" potatoes (which are a pain in the ass to peel). Haricot verts blanched, shocked, sautéed in schmaltz with garlic and crushed red pepper.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 hours ago, Duvel said:

You need to peel it (with a special peeler that cuts just a very thin outer layer away, which is reserved for stock). Then blanch in water with some sugar/salt/lemon slice for 5-8 min - very tender.

… and said blanching water / stock gets used the next day for Spargelsuppe (together with two reserved spears of asparagus and some sausage mince, made into small meatballs). Yummy ! And a nice bridge towards tomorrows Spargel dinner 🤗

50892B8E-3CFD-42FA-A484-1C5C44DCE61F.thumb.jpeg.df0b5a726f8df1f00c212f44c4f75eb3.jpeg

Accompanied with a nice Sauvignon Blanc from the company …

A8640E7E-DBBB-4762-BCCD-C7C4585968BF.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Me too!

I ordered from WildFork for the first time before the holidays and had the box sent directly to my parents home with a couple Misfit boxes. WildFork uses the same cryovac'd packaging for the mussels and clams. I did some doubtful head shakes but surprisingly good. 

They live in a food desert except for live blue crabs, oysters, and shrimp. I made a few fisherman stews and chowders over the 10 days. Small portions of cod, swordfish, salmon, tuna, made for an easy to pull together fish stew for the table.

Mirepoix, butter, white wine, add big chunks of fish. A 1/2 cup of broth, shaved fennel, then mussels and clams directly from the freezer. Cover and steam a few minutes until open.  

My second WildFork recent order has filled my freezer with same. And smoked duck breasts, rack of lamb, and lobster. meat for rolls. 

• Like 6

Vegetable Gulasch with Polenta Nero and Paprika-Oil Sour Creme - The vegetable stew had dried corona beans, tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, yellow pepper, zucchini, cauliflower and parsley cooked in a broth made with fresh tomato water, smoked paprika and tomato paste. Polenta nero doesn’t actually contain any polenta but is made from mashed potatoes carefully cooked with buckwheat flour and potato water and afterwards mixed with parmesan and sautéed shallots

IMG_7433.thumb.jpeg.866024c170acfd78645ebd1d5ce2c158.jpeg

• Like 14

Great weather weekend: sunny skies, a much appreciated lack of heavy winds and temps that nudged into the teens.

Most of it spent outside so mostly quick dinners from the freezer.

Breaded cod filets with red and green hot sauces and tomatoes and saurkraut (down to my last jar).

CodwithredandgreenhotsaucesTomatoandSaurkraut.thumb.JPG.514da7e38b08c13a5b61a78f7d3dfd39.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Melissa Clark's cognac-tarragon chicken from a recent NY Times article, roasted with some watermelon radishes in the pan.  They soaked up some of the juices and were my favorite part of the dinner.  Everyone really liked the chicken.  It uses quite a lot of tarragon though, so if you don't like tarragon I'd skip it.  Mashed potatoes and green beans with almonds alongside.

cognacchicken.thumb.jpg.398a76ec0e39c17cf6e25239ee75b58c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

On 4/29/2023 at 12:21 PM, Annie_H said:

If you can't meet the boats at the dock or catch/gather your own, we prefer frozen. The advances in flash/deep freezing the past ten years or so...or have a trusted fish monger, frozen is preferred. We plan to make similar tomorrow night. From the freezer. 

We have kayaks to gather mussels, a boat for fishing, friends that dive for scallops. A secret location with thousands of sea urchin just 5 feet down.

No fresh off the boat or going out in our area for any shell fish. We do have tanks at the local Superstore, but quality is never guaranteed. I have picked thru', bought, only to come home and find some dead. My best bet is to buy frozen - P.E.I Mussels - cooked, and also cooked clams from the Chinese supermarket. Will have to suffice until we get to the east coast to visit our son!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 4/29/2023 at 2:50 PM, Duvel said:

Well … if it is fresh (like cut in the morning fresh) it is very delicate with a milder flavor than the green phenotype (which is basically the same plant, just grown under / above the earth). You need to peel it (with a special peeler that cuts just a very thin outer layer away, which is reserved for stock). Then blanch in water with some sugar/salt/lemon slice for 5-8 min - very tender. I also usually eat a spear or two raw while I am at it, cooks treat 😋

Never fresh from the fields but saw some at our local supermarket: $7.98 / lb! I didn't buy...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Grandson was here Saturday to help me dismantle Xmas - finally! Put a ham and a pan of scalloped taters in the oven. It made for an easy supper when we were done working outside.

HamScslloptaters0782.jpg.f007366922f9c72457dcfe69568279da.jpg

Nice weather coming in! Was able to pull out the Big Easy yesterday and did up the char siu I had marinating  the last 2 days. These slabs were from a whole boneless pork loin ($1.99 / lb). It's leaner than I'd like (usually use pork butt), but they turned out well. Will be making Char Siu baos later today.

CharSiucage0788.jpg.2fe70e0bb2ff5eb534fb0302ab511eb0.jpgCharSiu0790.jpg.6c6e838acf7aae9c337c129b623a1e7d.jpg

Had picked up a smallish AAA Striploin roast. Cut it into 2 thick steaks. Pan seared and finished in the Ninja Air-fryer toaster oven. Sweet taters were also done in the Ninja.

StripLoinsteak0795.jpg.3c571588164cc40be39f5320d3e70008.jpg               

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The other recent fast meal I've posted before I think. This with the smoked duck breasts are giving me more options. Capra lamb/hatch chili tamales. 25-30min in the steamer from frozen. Extra credit I made a fresh blender green sauce--2 heaping tBsp of plain yogurt. Juice of one lime, a jalapeño, fistful of cilantro stems and same of carrot tops. Splash of rice wine vinegar.

And a special request for a shaved salad side and for a few days lunch salad bowls. Tossed in chili crisp for a kimchi vibe. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 11.48.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 11.49.40 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1