• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

Lunch in Düsseldorf yesterday.
30kkWjE.jpg

A type of blood sausage called "Flönz" is unique to North Rhine-Westphalia. Flönz received its own Geographical Indication status back in 2016. I am particularly fond of this blood sausage and have eaten it many times at Schumacher brewery restaurant. However, yesterday I immediately noticed how small the portion had become.
msKvkxF.jpg

"Pillekuchen" served with apple jam/jelly is another typical dish in North Rhine. It's basically a big potato pancake. Hmm... potatoes.
x8AH0Wu.jpg

Düsseldorf-style rye rolls (and a type of seedy rye bread underneath) for the next dish.
egytKwj.jpg

Beef tartare. The onions are the sweet type, which I can eat and did eat them all.
ZuRVkwK.jpg

The stated amount is the amount you pay, not unnecessarily complicated like in some countries. No stress when eating out.
Ug2k6Mw.jpg

Have eaten here many times. It's my favourite place for lunch when in town. Have tried other brewery restaurants and they were fine but I always come back to Schumacher.
jXmUQF8.jpg

----------------------------------------

Other photos next. Turn back now if you would rather stop here.

-----------------------------------------

Stand up cafe. It's still tiny but now they have a big screen for flashing/moving adverts.
9AbHkq7.jpg

Busy shawarma restaurant.
pPfQCzt.jpg

A modified motorised bike
rqTab30.jpg

And from behind. It's a delivery vehicle
WSBCcSj.jpg

Knife sharpening service in front of a supermarket. The sharpener is a middle-aged woman. Only the second time I've seen that. Usually it's a man. Anyway, I took a photo of the sign. Will check when they are back next year so I could bring my knives to be sharpened. But maybe not as I can't carry knives on public transport.
Rir6zS5.jpg

At first it looked like the girl got this many balloons from the boyfriend
VUZD73A.jpg

Dreary but at least it was dry. Today it just rained non stop.
MaI9yqa.jpg

A popular butcher's trailer at the market. There's never no queue. You take a number and queue, then queue again to pay.
uHoRyVY.jpg

I always buy dried sausages and blood sausage at this stall. An employee with a kind face looked at me when I was making this photo. He smiled.
bLukyny.jpg

Christmas decoration and shopping is in full swing.
UWPvcTx.jpg

I love Deutchland, and the top 2 reasons are beer and bread!
B2Zy9dP.jpg

I buy breads from different bakeries, including this very well-known place. Photo taken from where I was standing in the queue. It's been much busier, you won't be able to see much of the interior then.
nJz2R1E.jpg

Ramen before going back home. First photo is shoyu broth. Second is milky bone broth with miso.
Ff9H3ZO.jpg

TvggOw3.jpg

Got 6 packages yesterday. Already ate 2...
ya6J6Zy.jpg

Some (blood) sausages and 1 of the breads I bought.
hyKe8Sb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

42 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Damn … healthy or not, that’s a work of art 🙏

It's 'healthy' because it uses rice bran oil and some egg yolk powder instead of the traditional margarine and sweetened condensed milk.  It's pretty good, but no one will confuse it with the real, unhealthy version.  I actually did find a very small can of sweetened condensed milk (like 2oz) so the next batch I'll make I'll try it with it.

• Like 2

@BonVivant – thank you so much for sharing your shopping trip photos and experiences.  It makes me homesick for somewhere I’ve never been.  I watch so many videos of Germany and would love to visit. 

I’ve been terribly remiss in posting lately.  Many reasons, but I hope to do better in the future.  We’ll see!  You’ll notice that every one of the meals I’m posting are restaurant meals.  The truth is that if I eat lunch, it tends to be out.  If I’m at home a late breakfast tends to suffice until dinner – though sometimes I have a snack or what my mom called “kitchen sink meals” – foldover sandwiches or rolled up lunchmeat and a few chips eaten at the kitchen counter while doing other things. 

We had friends from Florida staying last month.  We took them to one of our favorite spots for lunch one day –  Westwood Fountain: lunch counter food at it’s best.  They loved it and said they wish Jacksonville had something like that.  The  bologna burger:

Attachment.jpg.37fb8dc3c90160662c6be5e31cd8464d.jpg

The Italian sub:

Attachment-1.jpg.120ed26d5e635e7aac6182c8be1cc06f.jpg

The Patty Deluxe, which I’d never seen before:

Attachment-2.jpg.a97b6dcd2879229efd10d46a919451ac.jpg

Cheddar cheese, grilled onions, 1000 Is. dressing and lettuce on grilled sourdough.  It was wonderful. 

The hot dog with kraut:

Attachment-3.thumb.jpg.203e635c2cc5f44048cfca7e0350c8c5.jpg

Mr. Kim and I had lunch at a place we hadn’t eaten at in years.  We didn’t remember it being as good as it was.  I had fried shrimp, pintos, corn, and cornbread:

IMG_4603.jpg.da7c8b56b0798cef006ef5e14c588e8b.jpg

Everything but the corn was excellent – the corn was canned.  Mr. Kim had meatloaf, biscuits, eggs, and fried potatoes:

IMG_4604.JPG.a385dba01f19951017a030e282f6bf26.JPG

All good, but the potatoes were especially great.

We ended up back at the Westwood Fountain for post church brunch.  Mr. Kim had the Italian sub again:

IMG_4605.jpg.34cc210e49b35e6e4c113691968e45c8.jpg

I had the club and their delicious fries:

IMG_4606.JPG.2235b686d2ea9c58fcf6eeb4269a0978.JPG

Mr. Kim, Jessica and I lunched at one of our new favorites Lalo’s Pinches Tacos.  Queso Fundido – chorizo, cheese dip, and pico:

IMG_4654.JPG.76fa5357bf3d0ddfdcdf76e723789184.JPG

All three of us had the Birria Tortas:

IMG_4657.jpg.2f1fa860a78775b5f70bce2ad0003844.jpg

IMG_4658.thumb.jpg.ea59a810f0cfdf86a78a4ab0c9af25e1.jpg

These were amazing.  I honestly don’t know which is better – the tacos or the tortas.  Their fabulous fries:

IMG_4656.jpg.d9a73e548bec09f90970658541d24cb2.jpg

I discovered an amazing place a few months ago and have been trying to get Mr. Kim there ever since.  It’s called Europa and is a combination deli, grocery, café, etc. specializing in European foods – with an emphasis in German and eastern European things.  It’s the place where I finally found (and fell in love with) Leberkäse.  Well, I finally got him there on Saturday and he loved it.  He had The Mighty German - beerwurst, Bavarian sauerkraut, imported baked milk cheese, sweet onion & mayo:

IMG_4737.JPG.6956e3a24bfb643332d4e26f3e97b2d4.JPG

I had the Roast My Beef - 1/2 lb. Rare roast beef, horseradish mayo on a brioche roll:

IMG_4738.JPG.363140f4779efc8e477d7482b802aa8b.JPG

No idea why the top looks so burnt – it wasn’t at all.  Both sandwiches were incredibly good.  Can’t wait to go back again and try something else. 

Drinks:

IMG_4739.thumb.JPG.0f4d08609b8fb3dcd26e1b9f3575dbf4.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Some lunches:

Clam Chowder with Oyster Crackers added later:

ClamChowder2609.jpg.01e933de02f6933c4ca270bc9d40fde3.jpg          

KD and creamed salmon                                                      KDSalmon2619.jpg.e4efd3e47fb6059c6dcfc59acd0cdb4b.jpg

Tong Yuen with Daikon. Hubby not a fan of the dumplings so he got wontons

TangYuen2656.jpg.6bda8d69ed7ffbc4c16bea755105471f.jpgWontonsDaikon2655.jpg.e53ca25449c831d93ad1fbc8e11cd74e.jpg

All Dressed Pork Congee with Siu Yook bones from the BBQ shop:

PorkCongeeallDressed2571.jpg.af1af581dee6a09ccb707b4e521d7279.jpg                            

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Faux Pho for lunch!
No Thai Basil to be found, so had to settle for mint and cilantro. Used Campbell's Pho broth, udon noodles, bean sprouts, bok choy, sliced chicken breast and red jalapeno pepper.
Hit the spot as it was a chilly day with snow.
                                                                                           FauxPho2807.jpg.c62f55a29ec5db3b0c55184ae61ae64b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We’ve had a few leftover whomp biscuits from me making a Thanksgiving morning casserole, so I made this for Mr. Kim for lunch a couple of days ago:

IMG_4834.JPG.ccec82c3a4b8a246e87dbf3d352ed1eb.JPG

Sausage and egg biscuit and berries. 

My lunch the same day:

IMG_4835.JPG.176af2a6a313510550eba1ce9f8233b2.JPG

Cold turkey sliders with mayo and Napa cabbage.

Today we had a post church lunch at our local deli, Boychik’s.  It was drizzly and chilly, so matzoh ball soup seemed to be in order:

IMG_4864.JPG.202d3246107764e620f72598f2b4eb42.JPG

I didn’t realize the picture was blurry until I uploaded it.

Mr. Kim had the corned beef, pastrami, and slaw:

IMG_4866.JPG.836da6e20cd480a99b6d5999bb126f0b.JPG

I had the steak and cheese:

IMG_4865.JPG.a358526e771ec5d80266e0d6060a9372.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

23 hours ago, Dejah said:

. . . Campbell's Pho broth . . .

I had no idea this product existed. How is it?

Zucchini, Poblano chile, and green bean tacos with toasted garlic, white onion, jalapeno chile, Meyer lemon and Mexican oregano. Zucchini was "sweated" beforehand to keep the texture firm.

Zuke_garlic_tacos.thumb.jpg.ddb29e6d57d53038431771767092efd3.jpg

• Like 9

Smoked Winnipeg Goldeye on rye bread and watercress.

SmokesGoldeye.thumb.jpg.578835cc37a600d51f0a5b642f1674c1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

31 minutes ago, Dejah said:

What a beautiul fish. Looks like it flakes nicely. So an open face sandwichAnyy saauce or spread on the bread

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Unfortunately there isn't an 'outstanding' button rather than just 'like' and 'delicious'. I haven't had goldeye for over forty years yet still remember how good it was. Nice way to serve it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

We like slow-cooked dishes/meals. Made one of partner's childhood favourites: "thread meat" and cauliflower with nutmeg. The cut needs long, slow braising and then the meat comes apart in thread-like strands. Children call that "thread meat", hence the name.
Lots of bay leaves from my plant in this (have had my bay laurel plant for many years, didn't save the info tag). Not sure about the exact variety but it smells so intense (no problem for us).
NrqO0xp.jpg

Steamed half a head of cauliflower until tender.
qw9VwjW.jpg

Another meal was my favourite flatfish: brill. Getting ready for the oven. Brill is sweet and delicate, I like to keep it simple.
5grPnHL.jpg

Meal #3. From left to right: Mettwurst, Düsseldorf-style fresh blood sausage, Tyrolean Speck.
j9gTZLS.jpg

Cheese is the best food in.the.world. Nothing is above it. Nothing. (Middle is Swiss Emmental, a bit aged, nice on a slice of bread with Marmite. Or without anything, really.)
wfIGIVo.jpg

Some longan, and that's my new "The Mouse" bread board! A wood product stall at the market in Düsseldorf has this The Mouse design. Getting harder to find nowadays.
JET2Qlr.jpg

@Kim Shook: me, too! I also feel the same about Austria. Love the nature and gastronomy in both countries. If you ever find this Culinaria Germany book... I know you would enjoy reading it. Also, that's a nice beer. I've been to beautiful Bamberg several times. The brewery where your beer comes from is extremely popular with locals and tourists alike. One of the top breweries on my beer list. Already hard to get a seat at that brewery bar-restaurant way back then. It only got worse every time I returned. All the beers in their core range are great, but especially the "Urbock", though... Whoa. It's like eating and drinking at the same time.

@Dejah: I use the same cube. Not the type who makes everything from scratch or "authentic"! (I prefer the noodles in the photo)

Could eat this every day. Oh wait, I actually did almost just that, in 2004.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@johnnyd 

best use for take out leftovers Ive ever seen

and if you dont have that much , add more lobster 

*****   Five Stars 

I ordered Tom kha with scallops and they gave me TWO !!  So I had half left, bought a cooked lobster @ $10 and in it went. Scallops are $25/lb so I understand, and their coconut lemongrass broth is exquisite

• Like 3

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Took two days, but I managed to track down the only nurse in this huge hospital who knows the address of where she works. So, now I'm back to my usual food delivery app of late.

To celebrate, for lunch I went for fusion food. Sichuan-Mexican, The in fact. Had a Sichuan flavoured burrito.

IMG_20231128_134434.thumb.jpg.b003133145625030b66d517bdf3a6bc1.jpg

Contents are chicken fillet, lettuce, tofu, scallion etc with a spicy Sichuan sauce. Not bad. Fat and bulbous, as the Captain said.

Here's the thing as advertised on the app.

Screenshot_20231128_135223.thumb.jpg.08b6ee5f5819491cdc95bfad1412ceb6.jpg

Shows the contents better than the real thing.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Fat and bulbous, as the Captain said.

LOL Just a couple of days ago I told my GF that I want that song played at my (hopefully long-deferred) funeral, just to mess with people.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

20 hours ago, heidih said:

What a beautiul fish. Looks like it flakes nicely. So an open face sandwichAnyy saauce or spread on the bread

No, just butter on Winnipeg Rye bread, then a squeeze of lime juice on the fish.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com