• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

I drove my parents and little one up to the coast line (Baltic sea) for a week of holiday with my fathers car, and returned by train to my hometown. That has the advantage that I had ta stopover in Hamburg, so …

A hot (and surprisingly strong) Grog !

IMG_1228.thumb.jpeg.0b143bedaad28191f0205bcdf9c77e07.jpeg

Followed by the unusual, yet very delicious Labskaus, a stew made from beef, potatoes and red beets, served with fried eggs & pickled herring !

IMG_1231.thumb.jpeg.96bde72537a7d711b31a3b3e9513e820.jpeg

Yum 🤗

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@Duvel 

Im pleased you use your regional knowledge of Cuisine

to snap up regional specialities.

Im far more experienced with middle and southern European cuisine

so seeing these more northern dishes is a real treat for me.

• Thanks 1

Whoa. Just got home. Disoriented and "depressed". First meal was sourdough bread with cheese. I missed cheese and sourdough. Went to a Chinese/Asian supermarket in the big city nearby to pick up a few things. Feels a bit strange not eating seaweed in different things every day so my first lunch at home I had to have some.

Next time I want to make "tororo soba" (Japanese mountain yam with soba). Forgot to get the yamaimo (Dioscorea japonica) yesterday for that dish. Purple sweet potato wheat noodles with seaweed, yolk and natto for now. To eat you stir the ingredients together and the whole thing turns into a slimy mess.     
TKbWX3O.jpg

Natto with silken tofu. One of the ultimate neba-neba (slimy food) ingredients.
AsFGnz4.jpg

Tamari-glazed salmon belly
BRPN9cu.jpg

SLeHLCn.jpg

I shall resume the trip photos and stuff shortly.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

38 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Next time I want to make "tororo soba" (Japanese mountain yam with soba). Forgot to get the yamaimo (Dioscorea japonica) yesterday for that dish. Purple sweet potato wheat noodles with seaweed, yolk and natto for now. To eat you stir the ingredients together and the whole thing turns into a slimy mess.     
TKbWX3O.jpg

Could be the whiskey highball talking, but I‘d come around for that in an instant 🤗

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First Caldo Verde of the season. Yukon Gold, onion a bit of garlic simmered in fresh chx stock then immersion blended. Collard greens rolled up and sliced thinly, simmered 15 minutes, crisped Linguiça to finish.

IMG_20231102_142833457_HDR.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Made a riff on the classic club sandwich with some sliced leftover chicken breast (poulet rouge from Joyce Farms), Nueske’s bacon, avocado, medium cheddar, iceberg lettuce, tarragon dijon, and Duke’s mayo on toasted local sourdough.

Coincidentally, it is also National Sandwich Day.

IMG_7361.thumb.jpeg.aa3b10163a4f1b40dda065703fdd433d.jpeg

IMG_7364.thumb.jpeg.97b6e85ccb98f6561ddf1f4550647f54.jpeg

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 5

Lunch today, I was digging through the freezer last week and found chicken stock.  My wife remembered and suggested rissotto.

So Risotto with a 2015 Chardonnay :)

20231105_113156.thumb.jpg.f45970aede00b7408462d29ceb23006d.jpg

20231105_110907.thumb.jpg.afa865b748e15ce8401fb15bef79d3af.jpg

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

越式香茅烧牛肉三明治 (yuè shì xiāng máo shāo niú ròu sān míng zhì ), Vietnamese Lemongrass Roast Beef Bánh Mì.

BnhM.thumb.jpg.fc1e3cc7dd02bd995eca77afc8423400.jpg

I wish they wouldn't slice them like that. I've never been served them like that in Vietnam.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I rarely make quesadillas so perhaps that is why these were wildly overstuffed. Quite delicious, though. Frying the fillings in chorizo grease probably didn't hurt. Well, except for my coronary arteries.

Quesadillas_202311-1.thumb.jpg.eb60f2810b6b002dee47cb7c3d7c8e06.jpg

Fillings: chorizo, shrimp, and sauteed shishito and serrano chiles, shallot, and garlic. Feta cheese, cilantro, and raw shallots not pictured.

I doubt shishitos are traditional but we had leftovers . . .

Quesadillas_202311-2.thumb.jpg.5cd9fd203aefa89edcdd79ce9adc70d7.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Clarify (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

33 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

I rarely make quesadillas so perhaps that is why these were wildly overstuffed. Quite delicious, though.

And I thought I made over-stuffed quesadillas - they look like a quesadilla/taco hybrid with all that filling!  

They also look seriously delicious!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

And I thought I made over-stuffed quesadillas - they look like a quesadilla/taco hybrid with all that filling!  

They also look seriously delicious!

Sound delicious. Out here with that level of innards they'd more likely be griddled between two tortillas, pushed down a bit and cut in large wedges versus a fat taco.

Thawed, fried, bake

Cod/potato burger on a Potato bun--  Cod had Breggs herbs seasoning and the potato was garlic and butter ( Mash )--no egg to bind so a little tighter processing

53317020888_65f104ec3b_b.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

"Oyakodon" (chicken and egg bowl). (See how it's done at one of the most popular Oyakodon shop in Tokyo)

XLdplSB.jpg

Seaweed, miso soup and pickles.
BK0kMr6.jpg

Pumpkin
lrriLSL.jpg

A crunchy, sour salad. White strands are shaved fennel.
DNjLHgD.jpg

Medium rare pan-seared duck breast. Sweet-sour-savoury pomegranate sauce. More pumpkin on the side, as well as simple boiled small potatoes.
X9ORFuR.jpg

Pumpkin on the right is in meal above (though, not sure if I got the name correct). Squash on the left is in another meal below.
tZgUETd.jpg

Squash soup with chewy, nutty whole grain wheat.
PmGpo7x.jpg

Pumpernickel and mushrooms
PrZ9HZN.jpg

z32X1ST.jpg

The cheese. Very hard and strong tasting/smelling goat's cheese.
cjbL2jh.jpg

Everything sounds beautiful in Spanish (to me). Si. Last cheese brought back from Lanzarote ("Lan-Tha-ROH-Teh").
MX4TBcR.jpg

Snacks and beer
XSjQOqw.jpg

Beer with the duck meal
cc2GfAz.jpg

Some beers are fine to drink way past expiry date
y6d3OQg.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On 11/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, BonVivant said:

A crunchy, sour salad. White strands are shaved fennel.

I'm totally stealing the pomegranate & fennel salad!  

This was supposed to be fish tacos but I was too lazy to make tortillas so it's just grilled rockfish on a plate with a Brussels sprout, radish and kimchi slaw and tots. 

B9AFB185-64D6-48A6-88C9-1EF6AB4CE187_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.078fc67d35dfc91a8682fe8a64e3946c.jpeg

Some odd reflections there on my plate.  Not sure what's up with that. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

MayDawsonsHoosierSugarCreamPiewithCoconutNovember14th20232.thumb.jpg.9d4b1b24f39c43095799ac147d8f576e.jpg
I had intended to bake my favourite coconut cream pie, but used the last of the eggs yesterday.
Didn't want to wait until after I got back from the grocery store today so decided to use the Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie recipe
and just turn it in to a coconut cream pie by adding toasted coconut to the filling and on top of the whipped cream.
MayDawsonsHoosierSugarCreamPiewithCoconutNovember14th20233.thumb.jpg.e0f9a710748ffddaa2e00cd5b16a2099.jpg
It was suppose to be dessert tonight but Moe decided he would have a piece for his lunch.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Sweet-and-Sour Caramelized Squash with Pistachio Za'atar from The Cook You Want To Be served on a bed of arugula. 

2C015D90-B600-47D4-8C81-F3F8C4699530_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d479fb65c4238f98ce779fb91fcbf7a5.jpeg

Roasted squash and shallots get a drizzle of a red wine vinegar and honey reduction with golden raisins and a sprinkle of za'atar made with fresh thyme, lemon zest, sumac and roasted pistachios. 

Rather Ottolenghi-esque.

If Google books likes me today, this link will take you to the recipe from the book. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 6