• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

One thing about Eric Kim, though, he has a knack for inventing the wheel. Again.  A two page spread in the magazine just because he adds furikake?

Lots of dead horses in food writing these days.

Of course, Duke's! 

In Philly, we were lucky enough to score a Tommy DiNic's roast pork and broccoli rabe hero for lunch at the Reading Terminal Market (which was a friggin' zoo). It was great.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Lots of dead horses in food writing these days.

And why is that, do you think? Many recipes I see these days look like somebody spun a food wheel, blindfolded, and picked five ingredients to make a meal from..  Remember that thread about three ingredients that are weird together?  If there was a contest to make a dish with all three Melissa Clark would win.   Oh, wait, I didn't say it would be edible.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Many recipes I see these days look like somebody spun a food wheel, blindfolded, and picked five ingredients to make a meal from..

Either that or they are regurgitated recipes from other sites with one ingredient changed to make it the bloggers own original recipe. I cringe every time I see somebody taking the really good classics and adding things to it just to have something 'original'. I can't count the times that I have read through a recipe, gagged, and thought, you've got to be kidding me!

12 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Either that or they are regurgitated recipes from other sites with one ingredient changed to make it the bloggers own original recipe. I cringe every time I see somebody taking the really good classics and adding things to it just to have something 'original'. I can't count the times that I have read through a recipe, gagged, and thought, you've got to be kidding me!

Spoken like John McEnroe! Yes. Need a new take on an old standard? Add raisins. Or furikake. Or miso.Or rutabaga. Or radish greens.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Spoken like John McEnroe! Yes. Need a new take on an old standard? Add raisins. Or furikake. Or miso.Or rutabaga. Or radish greens.

Thank you - you've cracked me up.  I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a classic recipe and said, "you know what this needs??  Furikake!!"

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

your article mentioned a particular style of tomato for this :

it had         ' the warmth of the Sun in it '

I grew tomatoes for years , which I started in Jan seeds indoors 

its true darker large red tomatoes might have more tomato aroma when nicely ripe 

the Early Girls I harvested , when warm 

had plenty of that same warmth .  the got cut into 1/8th or so

and went right into the cooked and seasoned linguini 

all summer long.

nothing like the warmth of a just picked home grown tomato.

Exactly as you say. This was an Early Girl, still sun-warm

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I actually saw a recipe the other day for medium rare carpacio served with wasabi sauce.

Was it beef carpaccio? So many other proteins and even vegetables have been touted as “carpaccio’ now which I also enjoy. 

9 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Was it beef carpaccio

Carpacio is thinly sliced Raw beef fillet. I'm not sure about the original recipe but I've usually had it with a lemon and oil dressing or vinegar and oil dressing on arugula. The dish was named after the artist Carpacio for its red color because he was known for putting a splash of red in everything that he painted. I know that they call all kinds of concoctions carpacio, but to me it is only made with thinly sliced raw beef.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Puerto Escondito-Style Halibut Ceviche Tostadas from Asada

9C6C90EF-7D6E-40D4-93CB-832B00DC8718_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4c098d4e04f3c678001a78d6e8a00ef7.jpeg
Great dish.  I made the tortillas with Masienda red corn masa harina and, per the book,  fried them in duck fat and peanut oil. Crispy/crunchy and very flavorful! The charred habanero crema is excellent and livens this up compared with a standard ceviche. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

... and you've just returned from Indonesia! Did you forget to restock when you were there or did your sick spell preclude that?

the spice paste is homemade. I make a large batch and then freeze.  I'm not a big fan of premade pastes - way too many preservatives.

Also, this soup is more Javanese but I was in Sulawesi.  I didn't see this type of soup anywhere during the trip.

• Like 1

I was curious about a newish restaurant in Chinatown called Hakka Cuisine, after a friend ate there, and after I'd read a write-up or two about it.

Located near the very beginning (or end I guess, depending on which way one is walking), I decided to walk down to the end (or beginning, I guess) of Division Street for lunch yesterday.

Obviously, a solo lunch is not great for any grand pronouncements about whether a new-ish restaurant is worthy, so none will be made here.  They have lunch specials, which I'm on the alert for at Chinatown restaurants, when having lunch by myself. So that's what was ordered.  (The specials usually include soup and rice, at a reduced price and portion size - good for a solo diner).

The "soup" was basically lukewarm, though I don't think any amount of heat would've helped it - clear and pretty tasteless...not even a scallion in sight.  I ordered a Hakka specialty:

IMG_9946.thumb.jpeg.7f1fa8ccafedd6e67b5dda8c52897226.jpeg

Pan-fried tofu stuff with pork.  This was tasty, and I guess it's a fairly classic dish of the Hakka canon. Big portion, though I ate it all. Rice was fine. Diet Coke was good.

Wouldn't mind returning with a group, in order to try some of the larger format dishes.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Tofu and Gai Lan in Oyster sauce - lunch for vegetarian granddaughter:

TofuGaiLan1609.jpg.6136c6a5a65a601c3a407bc857d20c57.jpg      

Luncheon with my CPLS( Crazy Plant Ladies). Picture after attack with chopsticks!   Yaki Udon Noodles - no meat so good for vegetarians

YakiUdonNoodles1299.jpg.78f519fea315614cf49835dd125f9924.jpg                  

Quick stir-fry shrimp in spicy tomato sauce

shrimptomatosauce1300.jpg.3ec7f59552d859621376db7c7f2d1522.jpg                     

Wonton Soup for a couple of friends driving from Brampton, Ont. to Kelowna, B.C

Wontons1657.jpg.ca6c913065d62129a22f8b5d03503aae.jpg        

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Local scallops sauteed in coconut oil, finished with a splash of sake

IMG_20230801_131912896~3.jpg

Edited by johnnyd
wrong picture (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

What brand of coconut oil do you use? Where do you get it?

We used to pay $12 for some organic stuff, but our local Hannaford supermarket has an in-house brand called Inspirations which cost ~ $7

UPDATE: Went upstairs to cook something and the coconut oil (14oz) is actually Nature's Promise - Organic, distributed by ADUSA in Salisbury NC, sourced from Sri Lanka. My bad!

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

36 minutes ago, johnnyd said:

Nature's Promise - Organic

That's a brand carried by Fresh Direct here in NYC...amongst others...https://catchwordbranding.com/portfolio/natures-promise/

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog