• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

@Ann_T 

soak the slices , not the whole ham.

that's how I got the idea a long time ago.

I got some sliced danish ham  , and it seems to be much more  porky 

and had much better ham favor than the usual deli ham I was getting .

a regional higher end USA brand.  for some reason I soaked a few of those slices

and it brought out the ham flavor similar to the Danish ham

I realized that that was so much salt in the deli ham , that it covered cup the ham flavor

the danish ham just had less salt than the USA brands.

the salt defused into the cold water by surface area , keep tat in mind.

cook the ham whole.

then slice and then soak

and repeat.

I assume the chops are thick.

won't get a lot of salt ut of them

unless you soak for some time , and then might get boggy.

technique might only then be helpful for bacon

While neither my husband nor I have medical issues that dictate lower sodium, the last few years so many things taste way too salty for me and I love salt! Not sure what is going on with my taste buds but I have also lost my taste for red wine which I used to love. Same thing has happened with coffee. My husband makes me an espresso when I get up in the morning but after that I have no desire for coffee. I used to drink 5 or 6 cups a day. Hopefully I will not lose my taste for white wine or G&T's...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crispy Chickpea Bowls with Lemony Yogurt and Chile-Stained Fried Duck Egg with Fluffy (and Crisp) Flatbread.  Both recipes from The Cook You Want to Be. 

4F70B9E5-0D72-4D05-B7D7-36FFEDE61882_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cbccadfb82313a440c09977ee6278e26.jpeg

The flatbreads lived up to their name: pillow-y and fluffy inside and crispy on the outside. A fine return for minimal effort. 

A561BA50-3BDF-452A-8501-32A551DF283D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.02c15ef02cf0cc225678f6808609608c.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

ChickenCacciatoreNovember6th2023.thumb.jpg.8ce78796e2326e049c8cc6447a6cb449.jpg
I had planned to make Chicken Cacciatore for dinner last night.
But Moe said that he wasn't really all that hungry which worked for me because
I wasn't hungry and I was tired, so I made it for breakfast this morning.
I love this  version of chicken cacciatore which @JoNorvelleWalker shared. 
Made without tomatoes, peppers, etc... More of a "white" version.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

On 6/23/2023 at 11:19 PM, Ann_T said:

I would love your breakfast.  And I never peel tomatoes.  I like the skin.

KoreanFriedChickenJune23rd2023.thumb.jpg.ac49e8616e6110a688c3b35a6b5a2d95.jpg

I made Korean Fried Chicken for Moe's breakfast this morning.

That fried chicken looks absolutely amazing! Fried chicken has really become a cultural phenomenon in Korea from what I've heard. People always say it's almost impossible to have bad fried chicken there - the Korean chefs have obviously perfected the art of the coating.

Was it easy to make at home? I'd love to try an authentic Korean fried chicken recipe myself. 

I'm visiting Seoul soon and really want to sample the original fried chicken and other Korean Foods listed in this article https://gowithguide.com/blog/seoul-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5535

Thanks for sharing - now I'm craving it too!

• Like 2

Bought a bag of small avocados, perfect single serving. Tiny tomatoes (marketed as "Sprinkles"), a bit of salt-free seasoning, a dash of grated parm instead of salt.

avo-tom.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Two more recipes from The Cook You Want to Be:  Fluffy Parmesan Scramble and (not) Long Beans with Creamy Sesame Sauce.

D62CBD78-7638-4406-B9B3-892371C09930_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9d0446c9d5d5f7dc0dd829cb3f59feff.jpeg

Softly scrambled eggs get draped in a wisp of prosciutto and grilled green beans are drizzled with a lemony tahini-miso sauce that I'll be trying on other veg. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Two more recipes from The Cook You Want to Be:  Fluffy Parmesan Scramble and (not) Long Beans with Creamy Sesame Sauce.

D62CBD78-7638-4406-B9B3-892371C09930_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9d0446c9d5d5f7dc0dd829cb3f59feff.jpeg

Softly scrambled eggs get draped in a wisp of prosciutto and grilled green beans are drizzled with a lemony tahini-miso sauce that I'll be trying on other veg. 

That looks like it must be a brilliant book. On the other hand, everything you post looks brilliant. I think you'd be a great cookbook influencer marketer!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That looks like it must be a brilliant book. On the other hand, everything you post looks brilliant. I think you'd be a great cookbook influencer marketer!

Thanks!  It's a good book. Quite a few fresh flavor takes that incorporate Andy's Persian heritage but aren't at all traditionally Persian. I bought the book last year, around the time it came out, after listening to several author interviews on Good Food, Salt + Spine, etc. but I didn't really dive in until this month - it's the cookbook of the month in the Facebook cookbook group that I participate in.  Always fun to share cooking with others!  

• Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 4:15 AM, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

The last of last weekend's soup with a naan and aged cheddar melt and a V8.

DSCN1388.thumb.JPG.7d016b46dedeef178cceda4fef07db9d.JPG

Now that is a breakfast I would really enjoy.

Moe's breakfast.

SoftSteamedeggswithtoastfingersNovember11th2023.thumb.jpg.98e4eb6751280be424e621292c5e31a4.jpg

Soft boiled eggs with toast fingers.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

I still had a chicken breast left from our Friday night's roast chicken dinner. So I made Moe a hot chicken sandwich for dinner last night.
I had cut potatoes for fries and let them soak in cold water and only ended up frying half.
The other half I left soaking and then used this morning, cutting them into 1/3rds and frying to go into Spanish Tortillas.
Added to beaten eggs along with fried onions.
SpanishTortillaNovember12th2023.thumb.jpg.85232860ee7148c43756db1034dc8b97.jpg
Rather than fry like an omelette, I baked them in small cast iron skillets for individual Tortillas.
SpanishTortillaNovember12th20231.thumb.jpg.029e4fad8c46863b324a6fff5237f11c.jpg

Moe had one for breakfast along with toasted baguette and I'm going to take one for lunch.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Baguettes baked this morning.
BaguettesNovember13th29234dayfermentation1.thumb.jpg.64344310feaac534da7661925f9be4bc.jpg

Slice one while still a little warm.
LowsaltbaconwitheasierovereggsNovember13th2023.thumb.jpg.acd8a8c1d2f2504a0b5cb1ca7b1ad597.jpg
Toasted for Moe's breakfast to go with bacon and easy over eggs.
The bacon is Kirkland's brand reduced sodium.
Even if we hadn't had to reduce Moe's sodium intake, I would still buy this bacon. It is that good.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1