• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

what is TBQ sauce ?

@rotuts,The sauce is from  the Tunnel BBQ Restaurant that was open in Windsor, Ontario from  1941 and closed in 2014.

Moe introduced to me this restaurant when we first got together .  It was and is the only  BBQ sauce that I have ever liked.   

Thankfully, the Windsor Star posted a copy cat recipe more than 20  years ago and it tastes so much like the original that I have

been making it ever since.  Great dipping sauce for ribs and chicken.

The recipe is simple and takes less than five minutes to make.  If you want to give it a try here is the link to a post on the blog.

https://thibeaultstable.com/2022/06/29/tbq-sauce/

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Kerala said:

White pudding, smoked mackerel, egg. I could get used to this instead of muesli.

Satispheis longer and more interesting taste contrasts= niice  I never git the oatmeall keeps ya good long time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

AS the kids say, IYKYK:

image.thumb.jpeg.2c3ca0a383b51312131fe69485d6e99d.jpeg

Not pictured, yet consumed:  pickled herring filets, bagels, tomato, red onion, butter.

IDK.

I mean, it looks good an' all...

On 10/7/2023 at 9:51 AM, Ann_T said:

@rotuts,The sauce is from  the Tunnel BBQ Restaurant that was open in Windsor, Ontario from  1941 and closed in 2014.

Moe introduced to me this restaurant when we first got together .  It was and is the only  BBQ sauce that I have ever liked.   

Thankfully, the Windsor Star posted a copy cat recipe more than 20  years ago and it tastes so much like the original that I have

been making it ever since.  Great dipping sauce for ribs and chicken.

The recipe is simple and takes less than five minutes to make.  If you want to give it a try here is the link to a post on the blog.

https://thibeaultstable.com/2022/06/29/tbq-sauce/

Thanks very much for that link, and your blog comment about leaving out the sugar because you prefer it more savory. I think that's the way I'll try it. Question: by "prepared mustard" do you have a general type in mind? The turmeric-heavy yellow ballpark mustard so common in the USA? Dijon? Horseradish mustard? What's your preferred type?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Eggs scrambled with green onion, mushrooms, Thai chili and cilantro with aged cheddar and romaine on a toasted bagel.

I enjoy how you get your produce in early in  delightul & delicious ways. Inspiring.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Smithy said:

Thanks very much for that link, and your blog comment about leaving out the sugar because you prefer it more savory. I think that's the way I'll try it. Question: by "prepared mustard" do you have a general type in mind? The turmeric-heavy yellow ballpark mustard so common in the USA? Dijon? Horseradish mustard? What's your preferred type?

Just your regular yellow mustard.  I use French's yellow mustard.  You could probably experiment.  But this recipe tastes almost identical to the original TBQ sauce.  Also, the recipe

said it that it didn't need to be refrigerated, but I've always kept it in the fridge and it lasts for a very long time refrigerated.  I can't imagine leaving it out on the counter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A perfect avocado, mashed onto sourdough bread, with lemon juice and a sprinkle of Spike. Covered with hummus and a tomato slice.

20231011_112149.jpg

Why, you may ask, would one take a beautiful avocado and bury it under all that other stuff? Answer: because the other stuff needed to be used up.

20231011_111647.jpg

It was delicious.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

A perfect avocado, mashed onto sourdough bread, with lemon juice and a sprinkle of Spike. Covered with hummus and a tomato slice.

OMG I'd orgotten about Spike. As soon as I read it I had a mental pic o the shaker. Along lines o Mrs. Dash. The Adelle Ddavuis days. Our Anne_T might be interested re low salt cooking re hubby. https://spikeseasoning.com/?page_id=8

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

OMG I'd orgotten about Spike. As soon as I read it I had a mental pic o the shaker. Along lines o Mrs. Dash. The Adelle Ddavuis days. Our Anne_T might be interested re low salt cooking re hubby. https://spikeseasoning.com/?page_id=8

I never could cotton to Mrs. Dash or any of the other alternative seasonings, but I do adore Spike on a few things -- avocado being one of them. You're right that @Ann_T might like it for her reduced-sodium dietary changes, depending on how much sodium is still too much. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

Salmon sando with kimchi slaw on a toasted brioche bun

85DCAAC1-00C5-44EB-A592-CEB90EABD642_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.02765860a346f8147ae86334ba21127a.jpeg

I got Alaskan sockeye salmon in my fish share this week. The California king salmon fishery is closed this year to allow the population to recover after years of drought but many local fishers travel to Bristol Bay in Alaska where this salmon was caught. So it's not local but has a local connection!

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Some recent breakfasts:

Waffles with sausage and fried apples (too sweet for my taste).

Smoked salmon, Boursin, red onion and capers on WW.

Burrito with scrambled eggs, zucchini, zucchini flowers, chorizo, aged cheddar, green onion and cilantro.

DSCN1280.thumb.JPG.600fc14ba4afa0e53a8dde6200f1f49f.JPGDSCN1285.thumb.JPG.2c097307378c554d950b4cda051e865e.JPGDSCN1287.thumb.JPG.833b0b1dd8f9440a8b1b80bf972a032f.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot