• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaged, Refrigerated Biscuit (aka "Whomp" Biscuits) and Other Doughs

ElsieD

Staff Note: This was split from The Air Fryer Topic.

On 11/6/2022 at 4:05 PM, lemniscate said:

Another convenience food success:  canned "popping" biscuits.     My little air fryer is set to 380F and I do ~10 min and then flip over for brown the bottoms for a couple more minutes.

I've had limited success with the "from frozen" individual biscuits.   I think I need to flip them about halfway through instead of near the end.  Like at 6 min into the time.  Otherwise they are slightly raw in the middle.

What are canned "popping" biscuits?

28 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

The kind you have to peel and pop against an edge.

Pillsbury is most common brand.

Are they not used in Canada?   I thought they were pretty universal to North America.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 9.33.16 AM.png

Yes, we do have them here.  I thought "popping" was part of the name which is why I was a bit perplexed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, we do have them here.  I thought "popping" was part of the name which is why I was a bit perplexed.

I was equally perplexed. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was equally perplexed. 

LOL, I grew up knowing these are popping biscuits because the commercials showed the doughboys name as Poppin Fresh.  It was fun to smack the container as a kid.   I guess the correct term is refrigerator biscuits now.

Poppin Fresh down memory lane.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I guess the correct term is refrigerator biscuits now.

I believe there are people here who call them “whomp” biscuits. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I believe that @Anna N and I had a tube of 'whomp' naan last time we were in Manitoulin. Abject failure as I recall. 

Please take us back to Manitoulin and whomp some biscuits.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

They also have a pizza dough in a can. Its pretty horrible 

Agreed.  I tried it a while back and found it to be truly dreadful.  Lesson learned.

I just received this from Amazon and plan to try it soon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EYJRKO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by lindag (log)

I loved them when I was a kid, but as an adult I find that a lot of Pillsbury products have a distinctive flavor note that I'm not especially keen on. It's a sort of lower-key counterpart to the distinctive pong of a Subway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Even though I will use the biscuit version whomps very occasionally for biscuit sandwiches,  I am also the only one at the Thanksgiving table who will refuse the whomp crescent rolls.  Never been a fan of those for some reason.   I'd much prefer a Parker House or potato dinner roll instead.  But I am outvoted by a landslide every year.

Edited by lemniscate
to who (log)