• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

This was a fairly quick meal on a chilly day.  The recipe name is Hungarian Mushroom Soup.  I added some cubed ham on the  side in case someone wanted meat to add.

That soup looks really good, Norm, and I appreciate the flexitarian option of some ham on the side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Dante said:

It's quite tasty!  

A layer of toasted French bread, a layer of ham topped with Marchand de Vin sauce,  with a layer of chicken breast poached in herbed stock topped with Bearnaise sauce on top of that. 

I admit I made a vegan Bearnaise sauce for this to make it a bit less heavy this time. 

Sounds delicious.  As I once explained to a military friend who complained about French fries, if it weren't for Rochambeau he'd be eating freedom fries* and saluting the Union Jack.

*Though they'd probably be misnamed freedom crisps.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

40 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

*Though they'd probably be misnamed freedom crisps.

No crisps are something else. They'd be freedom chips.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Crispy lemongrass salmon from Andrea Nguyen's cookbook Vietnamese Food Every Day.  Served with rice, pickled purple radishes and carrots, shaved cucumbers, chopped peanuts, herbs, and savoy cabbage, all dressed with nuoc cham.

1646535781_vietnamesesalmon.thumb.jpg.7ec07a9469019eae7a6bec6eb0d0e03b.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

On 10/17/2022 at 10:17 AM, Kim Shook said:

We ended up at our favorite local “Mexican” restaurant (they are actually Honduran) last night.  Mr. Kim had his usual Enchiladas Supreme:

I wish we had a local Mexican restaurant in the area that was worth going to.  I love Mexican.

Tried something new the other night. Spicy Sesame Sweet Potatoes.
1726275641_TempuraChickenOctober17th2022.thumb.jpg.fb075601a64c4c5d32d484cf8bb4f0aa.jpg
I was looking for a side to go with Chicken Tempura. It was okay, but neither of us liked it enough to make it again.
I did doctor it up a little using chicken broth instead of just the water called for. It needed something extra. And I forgot the sesame seeds.
I used my Tempura Style beer batter for the chicken but seasoned the chicken using a recipe from Asian Inspirations. We both loved the chicken.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Lemony Pork Piccata with Cavendish Tater wedges

401318038_LemonyPorkPiccata9069.jpg.acb5d6450c779010340431d984cce770.jpg      

Yaki Udon Noodles with Lap Cheong, Shitaki mushrooms, Yu Choy, carrots, and beef                  

1865662747_YakiUdonNoodles9073.jpg.fc6e9a85782af564299dec4a545d84a4.jpg                                                  

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pork chop (again) made in the NFG (again) with roasted Brussels sprouts and asparagus, also made in the NFG.  The sprouts went in along with the chop, the asparagus at the flip point. The veggies were drizzled with a tangerine balsamic vinegar after grilling.

nfg-pork-chop28.jpg.73fec6c884c872591e5c287466ab80d6.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.thumb.jpeg.f2752ab4654bda644f79efc6e9be3d69.jpeg

Seafood soup in the style of a bouillabaisse.  

Local wild striped bass, local littleneck clams, wild gulf shrimp, house-made fish fumet, white wine, tomatoes, saffron, onion, leek, garlic, fennel, celery, bay, thyme, parsley. 

Toasts alongside (no rouille, sorry).   Also some roasted veg.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 10

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I love 💞love 💓 love 💞cream Cheese Danish.
I've been making this recipe for years.
Not sure why I hadn't made it recently as it really is my favourite sweet yeast treat. So good in the morning with a cappuccino.
And it freezes well.

1954999388_CreamCheeseDanishOctober19th20221.thumb.jpg.c87855b4b5d577076c4453450ed0ec96.jpg

The recipe makes four large Danish but the recipe can also be used to make individual Danish.
184697043_CreamCheeseDanishOctober19th2022.thumb.jpg.7a043e63e632c1bcf62d98c8b4caff09.jpg
Moe talked me into cutting it while it was still warm.

And since we had that brisket sandwich for a late breakfast, Moe decided he wasn't all that hungry and all he wanted for dinner was another
slice of Danish.   
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f2752ab4654bda644f79efc6e9be3d69.jpeg

Local wild striped bass, local littleneck clams, wild gulf shrimp, house-made fish fumet, white wine, tomatoes, saffron, onion, leek, garlic, fennel, celery, bay, thyme, parsley. 

Toasts alongside (no rouille, sorry).   Also some roasted veg.

Looks delicious.  Why would you not call your soup a bouillabaisse?

• Like 2

@weinooThe very few times I have had a bouilliabaisse the rouille was served on the side. My mother's way of eating it was to spread the rouille on a piece of toast and float it. I always thought a bouillabaisse was defined especially by the use of saffron, so the flavor was different than Zuppa di Pesce or Cioppino, but that you could enjoy it sans rouille if you chose. Whatever, it looks scrumptious.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 2

Last night we tried a new recipe from the NY Times cooking section; roasted cauliflower with sweet chermoula and yogurt.  

roasted cauliflower with sweet chermoula

I served it with flatbreads that I made.  The reception was mixed.  My niece said she liked it, but did not eat much of it (translation: she disliked it but did not want to tell me), my sister said the flavors were good but the room-temperature yogurt made the dish too cool on a chilly day.  My husband enjoyed it but thought it needed something like roasted lamb to go with it 🤣

1618458860_sweetchermoulacauliflower.thumb.jpg.c010f0474fa49b72abb109a829d44f47.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Looks delicious.  Why would you not call your soup a bouillabaisse?

Indeed it was.  But you know, I'm a stickler for authenticity, and this didn't contain the fish considered necessary for a true bouillabaisse.

8 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@weinooThe very few times I have had a bouilliabaisse the rouille was served on the side. My mother's way of eating it was to spread the rouille on a piece of toast and float it. I always thought a bouillabaisse was defined especially by the use of saffron, so the flavor was different than Zuppa di Pesce or Cioppino, but that you could enjoy it sans rouille if you chose. Whatever, it looks scrumptious.

I think your mother did it pretty much as prescribed! I suppose I could've made a quick rouille using mayo and roasted red peppers...next time!

Well, there's definitely saffron in my prep; just no cool, little whole Mediterranean fish (and I doubt they'd use Long Island littlenecks or gulf shrimp).

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 hours ago, weinoo said:

What a bowl of beauty.  Makes me homesick for a good old San Francisco Cioppino.

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:
 Moe decided he wasn't all that hungry and all he wanted for dinner was another
slice of Danish.   

And who could blame him?   It looks stupendous.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, CookBot said:

What a bowl of beauty.  Makes me homesick for a good old San Francisco Cioppino.

Thank you - when I lived in the Bay Area, cioppino was something I made every once in a while - and boy, can Dungeness crab stock make the house pungent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@Paul Bacino – your fried green tomato and fish dinner absolutely transfixed my daughter and me!  What a perfect coating you got on both!  Bravo!

Dinner night before last was a prepared quiche from Costco:

1-IMG_0881.jpg.2fda29e986722d9c1ff3798e7a85eb0a.jpg

It was surprisingly good.  The variety was spinach and artichoke heart and it was loaded with the vegetables.  We would have preferred it to be a bit eggier and another inch or two high, but the flavor was very good.  I also did a salad and everyone chose their sides from various leftovers. 

1-IMG_0880.thumb.jpg.98cd965caeddc138f2986aaa3aba5a54.jpg

1-IMG_0883.jpg.cd70dcdf6e16035ac1b92f9c34cfb8b4.jpg

• Like 8

Picked up a package of Greenland Halibut at the local Chinese grocery. Have never seen it before. I googled and it's also called Turbot. Thought I'd try it @$6.50/ lb. Looked really good. Decision, decision- Steamed Chinese style,  pan fried, or ?

1517800540_HalibutPkg9080.jpg.cf768575314630d26841796de3e57fd8.jpg2125815582_Halibutfrozen9089.jpg.6d7b52d80ee597fbae6c0e88c1d11e86.jpg

The package weighted in at just under 2 lbs. Grandson came up after work and took a plate home.
I decided to peel the skin off, coat with panko crumbs as grandson would like it better, fried in butter, and finished in the oven.
It was wonderful! Picked up 2 more packages today for the freezer.

519627673_Halibut9078.jpg.8a5dd6886c71e708b625b6f95e599af8.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

40 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Decision, decision- Steamed Chinese style,  pan fried, or ?

turbot.thumb.jpg.dec9876c49bbffe7cf95ba414395ba72.jpg

Turbot

Turbot is very common here in southern China - usually steamed with soy sauce. Here is one example I ate (along with other chopstick wielders) in Hunan.

IMG_2922.jpg.63ee1efa74ec8214f755bfb792aa2df9.jpg.2d8779a7e77027c4dbe33fa8c840723a.jpg

A fine fish!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

What to do for dinner, well we have potatoes and not much else... sure lets see what the 1000 Indian recipes has.  Never made this before - but darn I'll be making it again.  Simple yet complex.  

Rajasthani Potato Curry

20221020_173830.thumb.jpg.e48a7918fb37412febfea00da503705f.jpg

Same cookbook I've linked before - if you like this kind of food - get the cookbook :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

A relatively quick and simple dinner that "punches above it's weight".  The protein is a rather motley assortment of chicken thighs from BJ's that I deboned, or not, since they ran on the small side.  I marinated them in Cavender's seasoned salt, lemon juice, garlic and fresh thyme.  Browned in the skillet then into the oven with mushrooms.   While the chicken was cooking I made three small skillets of potatoes.  Served with salad greens dressed with vinaigrette.

930739505_IMG_20221020_190348022_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.bc930f8a072bd0d4bcf001e8d2ff1e35.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

It was pretty cold yesterday but today it was very pleasant to be outside.  Last night Charle brought home some pre seasoned chicken for me to cook.  I went to the store and got some plain chicken pieces to cook with them.  I was afraid the store ones wouldn't be very good.  Charlie took one bite and discovered that was the case with these.  He liked the other ones.  I brined them for about 20 minutes with two cups of apple juice, a couple tablespoons of honey and 1/4 C. Canning and pickling salt.  I rinsed and dried them, sprinkled them with Cajun seasoning and smoked them all @250º until they read 165º... about 3 1/2 hours, spritzing them with more apple juice every 30 minutes or so.  I roasted the potatoes using a Greek style recipe, the slaw was a KFC copycat.  

image-2.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Raamo said:

What to do for dinner, well we have potatoes and not much else... sure lets see what the 1000 Indian recipes has.  Never made this before - but darn I'll be making it again.  Simple yet complex.  

Rajasthani Potato Curry

20221020_173830.thumb.jpg.e48a7918fb37412febfea00da503705f.jpg

Same cookbook I've linked before - if you like this kind of food - get the cookbook :)

It's been in my saved for later list for a while.  Sort of wishing the price would drop.