• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bake a cake (or whatever) for Gully!

Dave the Cook

I joined in 2003, but could only find one of my early 2010 images, which I didn't stick a candle in it and lit it.  It would today be the Happy Birthday Chicken and Dumplings photo.  I remember this Chicken and Dumplings Cook-Off and while this photo is far from appetizing, as I remember it now, this was pretty darn delicious. Happy Birthday Gully!

post-41580-126447597441.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Happy 20th birthday, Gully! I've learned a ton and made good friends in my 18.3 years here.

20210814_212410-1.jpg

Fresh peach pie and homemade vanilla ice cream with some wild raspberries stirred in. Served on a plate that's older than me and Gully combined. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Happy Birthday Gully. I love this place.

IMG_3501_cropped.thumb.jpg.f58b00f0973d22133d4e38aac126ecea.jpg

Plums baked in port.

And the best I could do for a candle on short notice. 😇

Edited by TdeV
Edited to correct the fruit. (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

When people ask how I got started making chocolates, I always tell them the simple answer is "eGullet."  The amount of information people share without cost on this forum is amazing, and I never cease learning more all the time.  In the celebratory photo below, all of the items, whether decoration or filling, reflect some of what I have learned here:

egulletanniv.thumb.jpg.cbc91a1cca5b5c1d6f7714cedb30ab1c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A Topfen Strudel for dad's 99th today and Gully's 20th. Had to let sis lead so not my forming... This is a special place. Thanks to all the "behind the scenes" folk.

Strudel.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Yes, a “personal” seedless watermelon, cut into more or less 1/2” bits. It became my evening snack, topped with a little maple smoked kosher salt (after the LED tea candle was plucked out, of course). The personal melons have been pretty consistently good this year.

Edited by DesertTinker
Added info (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

23 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Yes, a “personal” seedless watermelon, cut into more or less 1/2” bits. It became my evening snack, topped with a little maple smoked kosher salt (after the LED tea candle was plucked out, of course). The personal melons have been pretty consistently good this year.

Oh, good!  I can "like" it then.  I thought it was raw salmon at first and passed it by.  😁

• Haha 4

I will celebrate my 15th Gully anniversary next month!  I lurked for  good year before joining, but that doesn't count.  I haven't posted much in the last few years but reading the forums is part of my daily routine.  I love you guys!  So many of you feel like family to me just from your posts, and I have learned and grown so much as a lover of food and cook.  Raise a glass to many many many more years!

eta:  My favorite thread is

I go back and re-read it every so often when I need a laugh.  😄

Edited by nonblonde007
I hit enter before I meant to. (log)
  • Like 5

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

It's the 31st! One last day to post your birthday "cakes"!

Of course, you may donate at any time, in any amount. Just click here, or snail-mail a check (or money order, or precious-metal ingot) here:

eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

P.O. Box 1705

Norman, OK 73070

• Like 5

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, clarkvisits said:

So this forum turns 22 this month! wow, It's pretty old forum. 

Yes. Impressive, isn't it? And worthy of donations (hint, hint) to help the Society thrive for another year. See this post for links and more information.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown