Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

a Bryan Flannery dry aged hanger steak pan seared. oven roasted cauliflower with some parmesan and flat leaf parsley added just to melt.  And a super villiage wine thank you @KennethT

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

  • Like 18
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

CD2D9B12-647D-45E4-B1B8-67633C279B56.thumb.jpeg.4a638a4fde1dd438d8de918e5fc5d165.jpeg
 

I made a garlic cream sauce, but browned the butter a bit too much, hence the color of the sauce. While it doesn’t look appetizing, the taste was still good. 

 

 

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

There is this point in your life where you realize that the leftovers in your fridge are most likely better than ...

 

SV duck legs

 

But - are they really leftovers, or do you make duck legs for just this (and maybe some other) purpose?

  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

But - are they really leftovers, or do you make duck legs for just this (and maybe some other) purpose?


No, they were „real“  leftovers. I made Cassoulet last week and miscalculated the amount of beans. So, got two duck legs surplus plus some saucisse, that served as a pizza topping yesterday (amongst other applications) ...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fish 'n' chips.

Red drum was the fish. I spent the afternoon de-scaling, de-skinning and filleting it. Beer battered, of course.

 

20210504_202533.thumb.jpg.784cf040f555751c192945466a431e8d.jpg

 

The chips weren't great. I have a serious issue with  Chinese potatoes. They are either excellent for chips (1% of the time) or roasting or completely useless unless you boil 'em. They only have two varieties. Red skinned potatoes (99%) which  are hopeless for frying or sometimes white potatoes which are either great for frying or decidedly not. You can't tell which are which until it's too late.
 

I bought the hopeless variety. They never brown properly; they never crisp up.

Anyway, still edible. Try again soon.

 

20210504_202551.thumb.jpg.79f4338eefa0e363967fbf21afdf9a3c.jpg

 

  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

the hopeless variety. They never brown properly; they never crisp up.

All the potatoes here in Costa Rica are hopeless for frying but I finally figured out a way to do it. I cut them in wedges and boil them until they are just about done. I add about half a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Then I drain them and let them thoroughly dry. I stir fry them in about 2 tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of oil. Last night, on a hunch, I added a teaspoon of dark soy sauce to the butter and oil and it took them right over the top. Dark and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and just the right amount of salt. I wish that I had taken a picture.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

All the potatoes here in Costa Rica are hopeless for frying but I finally figured out a way to do it. I cut them in wedges and boil them until they are just about done. I add about half a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Then I drain them and let them thoroughly dry. I stir fry them in about 2 tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of oil. Last night, on a hunch, I added a teaspoon of dark soy sauce to the butter and oil and it took them right over the top. Dark and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and just the right amount of salt. I wish that I had taken a picture.

 

Par-boiling the  chips is becoming more and more standard thanks to Heston Blumenthal's triple-cooked chips. I've been doing that for decades.

What is butter?

The day I add soy sauce to my fish and chips, please shoot me!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Par-boiling the  chips is becoming more and more standard

The trick is parboiling them in a little bit of soda. Check with mr. Google, there are a lot of references about the effect of crisping and Browning.

Yeah, if you're deep frying your potatoes (which I never do) I can see not using the soy sauce. But please check out the effect of the baking soda. It really does make a difference. I've been fighting with these ugly potatoes here in Costa Rica for 30 years and have learned a few things over the years that do help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Fish 'n' chips.

Red drum was the fish. I spent the afternoon de-scaling, de-skinning and filleting it. Beer battered, of course.

 

20210504_202533.thumb.jpg.784cf040f555751c192945466a431e8d.jpg

 

The chips weren't great. I have a serious issue with  Chinese potatoes. They are either excellent for chips (1% of the time) or roasting or completely useless unless you boil 'em. They only have two varieties. Red skinned potatoes (99%) which  are hopeless for frying or sometimes white potatoes which are either great for frying or decidedly not. You can't tell which are which until it's too late.
 

I bought the hopeless variety. They never brown properly; they never crisp up.

Anyway, still edible. Try again soon.

 

20210504_202551.thumb.jpg.79f4338eefa0e363967fbf21afdf9a3c.jpg

 

 

Are frozen fries available for you? I know some will argue about their quality or flavor, but they will be surely made from proper starchy potato varieties, and I personally quite like the texture of fried-frozen-refried chips. Kenji did a whole writeup about it in Serious Eats a few years ago.

 

If they are not, you can try boiling the potatoes, dry, and dust with potato starch. Similar process to sweet potatoes which can't yield good fries naturally.

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shain said:

Are frozen fries available for you?

 

Very little food in China is frozen and never vegetables. I know that there are get arounds to fake crispy fries, but I'm a purist.  Good chips are potatoes fried, preferably in beef fat. End of story.

  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tropicalsenior said:

Just out of curiosity, is butter not available at all in China?


I was half joking. It is available, but only in larger cities and is rather expensive. Most is imported from Europe. And when I start frying my chips in butter, shoot me again!

  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Please remember, despite my China connections, I am British and we don't mess with our national dish! Potatoes, fat. Fish, beer batter. Salt and vinegar. Anything else is sacrilegious!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

And when I start frying my chips in butter, shoot me again!

Here again we have different cultures, different solutions. Beef fat is totally unavailable. The only breed of cattle they have here is the type of Brahma that has no fat and no marbling. I don't deep fry because good cooking oil is so expensive and my only other choices are lard and palm oil which I refuse to use. So I'm left with the oven roasting or stir fry.

Come to think of it, I haven't had good fish and chips for over 30 years.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I haven't had good fish and chips for over 30 years.

 

I had good fish and chips a couple of weeks ago. I usually do. Just, today, I had a potato fail.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

 

I had good fish and chips a couple of weeks ago. I usually do. Just, today, I had a potato fail.

I will admit that your fish and chips always look beautiful. Someday you are going to have to post your recipe for beer batter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Someday you are going to have to post your recipe for beer batter.

 

Nothing could be simpler. I'll do it tomorrow. Late here and I need my beauty sleep!

  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Objective Foodie said:

Second attempt for our chicken with vin jaune and morels. For this one we filled the chicken thigh with sautéed morels. It really hits the spot.

 

DSC_0484.thumb.jpeg.934880b87491c7d9d5a069b460d1bebe.jpeg


Nice ! The chicken is done SV before searing ?

 

Ahh ... and more importantly: which wine ? 😊

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chicken shawarma and jasmine rice, homemade hummus. 
 

7A2E8E57-BD29-4BBF-AE4B-CC41D6F0CEAF.jpeg.414a80cc32c73dfff94784bf2be6b444.jpeg

  • Like 17

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...