• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

391619396_859258402342025_6149057472598639820_n.jpg.826ad0867d4d83ef2b5cba52f78c3de5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 10/21/2023 at 6:36 PM, liuzhou said:

365774594_248408481437392_2141341505496382671_n.jpg.9fe160ed5ba77758bd364b58d1380cf4.jpg

I'm not entirely sure that's funny.  I once was shopping in a supermarket in Texas where guns and alcohol were on the same isle.  No room for potatoes or sweatpants.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

F9HAAGhXQAA1PbR.jpeg.a2fdcbc04d40b2a3ca1758e3f5273a8a.jpeg

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm not entirely sure that's funny.  I once was shopping in a supermarket in Texas where guns and alcohol were on the same isle.  No room for potatoes or sweatpants.

That must've been a Walmart, they sell guns in over 2300 stores across the US, and 175 of them in Texas have a federal firearms license from the ATF. But it would be extremely unusual to see it on the same aisle as beer and wine (Texas doesn't sell liquor in grocery stores), for reasons of space: guns are stored in locked glass cases near a desk where an employee can conduct the federally-required background check with the FBI and post the state-required warnings about safe storage of firearms. That takes a full aisle. 

Meanwhile, shelf space for beer and wine (which in Texas are usually 2 aisles when you include the refrigerated cases) is hotly sought after by the beer and wine distributors (Texas has a three-tier system for beer and wine), so it would be difficult for a store to give away even an inch of shelf space to something else in that area, which is often near the back of the grocery section of the store.

Usually the guns are in the sporting goods area, between the camping gear and the automotive section....

55 minutes ago, Fname Lname said:

That must've been a Walmart, they sell guns in over 2300 stores across the US, and 175 of them in Texas have a federal firearms license from the ATF. But it would be extremely unusual to see it on the same aisle as beer and wine (Texas doesn't sell liquor in grocery stores), for reasons of space: guns are stored in locked glass cases near a desk where an employee can conduct the federally-required background check with the FBI and post the state-required warnings about safe storage of firearms. That takes a full aisle. 

Meanwhile, shelf space for beer and wine (which in Texas are usually 2 aisles when you include the refrigerated cases) is hotly sought after by the beer and wine distributors (Texas has a three-tier system for beer and wine), so it would be difficult for a store to give away even an inch of shelf space to something else in that area, which is often near the back of the grocery section of the store.

Usually the guns are in the sporting goods area, between the camping gear and the automotive section....

I was pretty confident it'd been Photoshopped that way as a joke.

• Like 1

There is a town in England called Sandwich* (probably the origin of the name of the one in Massachusetts). Nearby there is a village called Ham (from the Old English hám, meaning 'home' and used in many place names such as Nottingham, Durham etc.)

Ham_Sandwich_finger_post_-_geograph_org.uk_-_302959.jpg.077799f5518e8fc068863c5bdede949e.jpg

Image by Nick Smith. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Near my London home is this, which I can see from my window.

3D4A1584.thumb.JPG.c92f115d5edcb349ee953f0608b6d5b1.JPG

* Note the Wikpedia article's story of the origin of the name of the town is risible nonsense. It means the 'dwelling place by the beach' which it was until the sea receded. 'Sand' from the beach and 'wich' from the Old English ''wic' meaning a dwelling place and also used in many place names such as Norwich, Ipswich etc. It was the town's name long before the Earl of Sandwich didn't invent the sandwich!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Fname Lname said:

No, the store was not a Walmart.  I've never been in a Walmart.  But my Texas shopping experience was back in the 1970's.  And welcome to eGullet!

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

395693166_10168208679300324_3961729335713191379_n.jpg.9250966e972f7d02b6a2bd17c84a67fc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, liuzhou said:

396744043_18397478671052294_6207668420367206070_n.thumb.jpg.4fcd1df89d8571ee0d41f86df5b5a90a.jpg

When I began watching his TV show I thought his first name was Otto.  Duh!

He's a very affable TV host/travel guide.  And he's generous at his website with free recipes.  https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes

• Like 5

395414951_122111595350083787_8488400244430637431_n.thumb.jpg.7a8bdffb616131b91bd110333a3884ae.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8