Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Have you adjusted the height of the beater?  When I first got the 6-quart KA  there was too much space between the bottom of the bowl and the end of the dough  hook - didn't matter so much with the "flat" beater  but it did with the dough hook and small batches.  INSTRUCTIONS: For bowl-lift models, remove the flat beater and bowl. Lay the mixer down backwards on a towel so it doesn’t slip. Locate the screw right where the top and body of the mixer meet. Again, take only quarter turns at a time – right for increasing contact, left for creating more space. Perform the dime test and re-adjust as needed. Watch this video for bowl-lift models.

 

Yes, thanks, I had adjusted the height.  For French lean dough in a KitchenAid, Modernist Bread says the minimum batch amount should be 1 1/2 kg but even that much doesn't get grabbed well by the hook.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you start with the hook immediately? Or begin with the paddle, and switch to the hook?

I've had some doughs that didn't play nicely with the hook until/unless the paddle was brought into play. (...a PITA to clean two implements, of course, but there it is...)

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

my experience has been much more simple.

when the dough doesn't clear the bowl with the dough hook, it's too wet.

gets back to the elasticity / pane test / etc.

pretty good indicator, actually.

 

one adds flour just a heaping tablespoon at a time - WAIT for the incorporation.  it takes 4-5 minutes to incorporate and hydrate the added flour.  meaning . . . adding too much in haste is not a good thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chromedome said:

Do you start with the hook immediately? Or begin with the paddle, and switch to the hook?

I've had some doughs that didn't play nicely with the hook until/unless the paddle was brought into play. (...a PITA to clean two implements, of course, but there it is...)

 

With a kg of dough in the KitchenAid, I start off with the paddle.  Otherwise I'd get nowhere fast.

 

In contrast with the Ankarsrum I start with the dough hook to incorporate the ingredients, then after autolysis I switch to the roller/scraper to kneed the dough.  Works perfectly, which I can't say of the KitchenAid.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

my experience has been much more simple.

when the dough doesn't clear the bowl with the dough hook, it's too wet.

gets back to the elasticity / pane test / etc.

pretty good indicator, actually.

 

one adds flour just a heaping tablespoon at a time - WAIT for the incorporation.  it takes 4-5 minutes to incorporate and hydrate the added flour.  meaning . . . adding too much in haste is not a good thing.

 

I am of a different school.  King Arthur is consistent.  If my dough is too wet it means someone didn't measure properly.  My hydration is 68%.  Even the KitchenAid KSMC7QDH dough hook won't grab a kg of this dough.  But I don't feel too bad.  Apparently a kg of dough didn't work for @nathanm either.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So interesting. I've had many annoying bread handling problems, but not this one. 

 

My bread's a bit higher hydration than yours. I do autolyse by mixing halft the flour flour and the water with a spatula. Once it's hydrated, I can add the rest of the flour and the starter, and the dough hook mostly brings it together. I'll have to stop and scrape down the sides once or twice in the first minute or so.

Notes from the underbelly

Link to post
Share on other sites

@andiesenji @curls and @JoNorvelleWalker — I'm curious if any of you used your Ankarsrums to make things like cookies and cakes in addition to breads?

 

These days I have a secondhand Bosch that I use for bread (and am happy with for that purpose) but the central shaft design makes it awkward for things like whipping egg whites. And I've heard a lot of people saying that the cookie paddles on the Bosch tend to break if you try to mix up a stiff cookie dough.

The KitchenAid I killed making whole wheat sourdough is (hopefully) a new snap ring away from working again (I replaced the cracked transmission housing but I think I damaged the snap ring in the process). But if it doesn't end up working as desired after the repair, I'm hesitant to buy another — and it'd be nice to have one mixer for all stand mixer use cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtremit said:

@andiesenji @curls and @JoNorvelleWalker — I'm curious if any of you used your Ankarsrums to make things like cookies and cakes in addition to breads?

 

These days I have a secondhand Bosch that I use for bread (and am happy with for that purpose) but the central shaft design makes it awkward for things like whipping egg whites. And I've heard a lot of people saying that the cookie paddles on the Bosch tend to break if you try to mix up a stiff cookie dough.

The KitchenAid I killed making whole wheat sourdough is (hopefully) a new snap ring away from working again (I replaced the cracked transmission housing but I think I damaged the snap ring in the process). But if it doesn't end up working as desired after the repair, I'm hesitant to buy another — and it'd be nice to have one mixer for all stand mixer use cases.

 

The Ankarsrum comes with a separate bowl with a central shaft for whipping egg whites and mixing certain cookies.  Egg whites whip OK, perhaps better than the KitchenAid.  I've not tried a cake but cookies were a pain when mixed in the bowl with the central shaft.  I think cookies might be more fun using the standard stainless steel bowl.  If I were to want a cake I'd grab the KitchenAid.  Not because the Ankarsrum couldn't do as well.  But with the KitchenAid there is no learning curve.

 

However ask yourself about attachments.  I have several KitchenAid attachments and I'd be sad not to have a mixer to use them on.  Indeed, in my kitchen the KitchenAid is used mainly for the attachments.  I have only one Ankarsrum attachment, the flocker, but I use it frequently.  Ankarsrum has a range of optional attachments but in general they seem more expensive than attachments for the KitchenAid.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty glad I started (mostly) buying bread, and the Kitchen Aid (older lift bowl model, 5 quart) does for me a fine job making cookies, banana bread, and not much more.  I also have a number of attachments, but they see very little use. Yet it has a place of pride on my counter, and will see some more use as the weather changes.  

 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...