• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hacking an older Kitchenaid mixer to use the panning attachment

Becky R

They told me it couldn't be done. They didn't know my husband, the engineer!

Brand new to candy making and wanted to try panning.  Those machines are SO expensive though, and who knows if I'd really use it!  So... this attachment was just over $100.  The catch was, it was made for the KitchenAids that tilt.  I have an ancient brute of a KA that I suspect is more substantially made than the newer ones if other current appliances are any indication.  The salesrep told me there was NO. WAY. it would work because the most it could tilt was 30 degrees without tipping over.  Hubby likes such a challenge!  All materials were things we had hanging around the farm.  If I find I REALLY like this, I can always upgrade to a system that would have more capacity, but this will give me a taste of what I'm getting into.  Geeks are THE. BEST.  😂

Screenshot2023-11-05at3_44_32PM.thumb.png.ab393be7038dc5e7988922dd33660741.png

Edited by Becky R
Title adjusted to reflect what the OP is about. (log)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Becky R said:

Brand new to candy making and wanted to try panning.  Those machines are SO expensive though, and who knows if I'd really use it!  So... this attachment was just over $100.  The catch was, it was made for the KitchenAids that tilt.  I have an ancient brute of a KA that I suspect is more substantially made than the newer ones if other current appliances are any indication.  The salesrep told me there was NO. WAY. it would work because the most it could tilt was 30 degrees without tipping over.  Hubby likes such a challenge!  All materials were things we had hanging around the farm.  If I find I REALLY like this, I can always upgrade to a system that would have more capacity, but this will give me a taste of what I'm getting into.  Geeks are THE. BEST.  😂

As I mentioned in our phone call, you married well!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

As I mentioned in our phone call, you married well!

I REALLY did.  He's a sweetheart and impresses me every day!  VERY talented man.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Becky R said:

Amazing setup. Congratulations. He is a keeper for sure.

Another option for other DIYs who do not have a KA to try - 

Today's 1/2" cordless brushless electric drills are extremely powerful and the battery long lasting per charge. A much smaller power source that is reversible, with variable speed control.

The installation/detachment of the rotating pan is easy without the need for using tools.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 4

On 11/6/2023 at 12:56 PM, pastrygirl said:

Nice!  Although I'm not sure you need that great of an angle or how it will affect the way pieces tumble in the pan.  Obvs you don't want things flying out, but here's a set-up that only raises the mixer by 4 or 5". 

https://dr.ca/products/confectionery-coating-pan-attachment?_pos=2&_sid=e03b4463c&_ss=r

Cool.  That one is a lot deeper than the one I have so it wouldn't need the extreme angles, but it is also three times as expensive :). We'll see how this works this weekend!

• Like 1