• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Ross

eG Cook-Off #85: Mexican Salsa

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

As it happens, I just stumbled over a container of frozen persimmon pulp in my freezer. I like the idea of making a salsa with it. Persimmon pulp, charred onion, a bit of chile for heat...what else should go into that? Garlic and/or oregano as above? And would it be better with chicken breast or pulled pork?

I would probably pair it with chicken. I think it would be delicious with a poached chicken breast, chilled, then served as a sort of salad with the salsa. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

As it happens, I just stumbled over a container of frozen persimmon pulp in my freezer. I like the idea of making a salsa with it. Persimmon pulp, charred onion, a bit of chile for heat...what else should go into that? Garlic and/or oregano as above? And would it be better with chicken breast or pulled pork?

Are chicken breasts a food stuff?  I would go pork but CB could use the lift of a flavorful salsa ;) (unintended pun - cross my heart)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Are chicken breasts a food stuff?  I would go pork but CB could use the lift of a flavorful salsa ;) (unintended pun - cross my heart)

I love the pun, cross my heart. ;) I occasionally go for chicken breast in the interest of reduced fat. Then I undermine the whole thing by mixing it with heavy amounts of mayonnaise and various seasonings to make a chicken salad, or slather bread with mayo for chicken sandwiches. My latest sous-vide chicken breasts are still sitting in their unopened package, so I have some to play with for this. It might even be lower-fat!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I love the pun, cross my heart. ;) I occasionally go for chicken breast in the interest of reduced fat. Then I undermine the whole thing by mixing it with heavy amounts of mayonnaise and various seasonings to make a chicken salad, or slather bread with mayo for chicken sandwiches. My latest sous-vide chicken breasts are still sitting in their unopened package, so I have some to play with for this. It might even be lower-fat!

If you do them as @liuzhou does with his numerical formula where they barely simmer and then poach in the hot liquid I am ok. Chicken quality a factor as well.  It is funny that "a chicken in every pot" was referring more to the rarity of slaughtering a chicken as a treat/luxury because why kill an egg source on your farm.. As to added fat - all those skinnny socialites and actors were eating mayo heavy chicken salad at Bullocks watching the fashion shows. https://laist.com/2016/07/12/wilshire_bullocks.php

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, heidih said:

If you do them as @liuzhou does with his numerical formula where they barely simmer and then poach in the hot liquid I am ok. Chicken quality a factor as well.  It is funny that "a chicken in every pot" was referring more to the rarity of slaughtering a chicken as a treat/luxury because why kill an egg source on your farm.. As to added fat - all those skinnny socialites and actors were eating mayo heavy chicken salad at Bullocks watching the fashion shows. https://laist.com/2016/07/12/wilshire_bullocks.php

I too like that method of poaching chicken, but the convenience of sous vide is I can have it essentialy "poached" for a long time before using it. The consistency comes out about the same. At any rate, I think I'll try that persimmon for a Mexican-style salsa, and see what it does with the chicken. If it isn't a total disaster I'll report back. Maybe if it is a total disaster I'll still report, for the comic effect.

(Thanks for the Wilshire Bullock's article. I used to love driving past that building. The fashion show lineup in one picture is hilarious!)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown