• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #86: Rabbit

I'll be doing a fried rabbit served with grits.  Not exactly sure of the sauce.  I thought about red eye gravy, but I think that might overpower the rabbit.  I might do some sort of a take on a gravy based on gumbo flavors or something.  Any ideas?

• Like 2

Are you matching dredge seasoning to sauce for grits?  I am not a GRITS girl or a grits lover so no experience. Looking forward to your take.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Are you matching dredge seasoning to sauce for grits?  I am not a GRITS girl or a grits lover so no experience. Looking forward to your take.

that's actually a good idea.  

I love rabbit. I grew up hunting them in my hometown (Ventura, then sleepy, seaside Ventura, CA.).  Chaparrals scented with sage, bay, anise, even expat fennel.  Garrigue be damned, this was it’s sere cousin abundant in rabbit and other small game.

Alas, rabbit is impossible to get locally.  I’ve only sourced from D’Artagnan, but hoping to find other possibilities.   Sorry if it’s been provided upstream (haven’t yet read through the entire thread), but anyone have a good place to get them?

This is probably a hard no - but any line on hare?

• Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Remind us where you are? The Asian markets here are a source but guess that does not work for you. Also 4H agricultura clubs cull domesticated bunns as part of the "cycle of life teaching". And just to make you nostalgic a shot of some local wild fennel on a horse trail here in L.A.  I lke idea of fennel w/ rabbit.

fennel.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, paul o' vendange said:

I love rabbit. I grew up hunting them in my hometown (Ventura, then sleepy, seaside Ventura, CA.).  Chaparrals scented with sage, bay, anise, even expat fennel.  Garrigue be damned, this was it’s sere cousin abundant in rabbit and other small game.

Alas, rabbit is impossible to get locally.  I’ve only sourced from D’Artagnan, but hoping to find other possibilities.   Sorry if it’s been provided upstream (haven’t yet read through the entire thread), but anyone have a good place to get them?

This is probably a hard no - but any line on hare?

D'Artagnan sometimes does have wild Scottish hare available but if I remember, it's usually in the Fall. Darn expensive but for the a deep flavor, it's delicious.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, David Ross said:

D'Artagnan sometimes does have wild Scottish hare available but if I remember, it's usually in the Fall. Darn expensive but for the a deep flavor, it's delicious.

Thanks David, I’d forgotten that.  I’ll never forget the touching episode of - can’t remember which show, but Tony Bourdain on a Scottish estate hunting red deer. That, and the equally touching episode where he spends time more or less stunned to dine on hare with M. Bocuse, then ventures out for an informal morning bird hunt with Chef and his almost comically hapless pup.  I know these are somewhere in play.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

10 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

Thanks David, I’d forgotten that.  I’ll never forget the touching episode of - can’t remember which show, but Tony Bourdain on a Scottish estate hunting red deer. That, and the equally touching episode where he spends time more or less stunned to dine on hare with M. Bocuse, then ventures out for an informal morning bird hunt with Chef and his almost comically hapless pup.  I know these are somewhere in play.

I loved the Bourdain episode and seeing that hare with the sauce made from the blood.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought one of the supermarket's roast rabbits.

1098753143_roastrabbit2.thumb.jpg.bfdc9a984a526b22cfb2baa070ada715.jpg

Removed legs and hand-tore the body meat.

522301333_handtornrabbit.thumb.jpg.4bcd2cfa6f99bb99ef8612a36edf729d.jpg

Served with a dry dip containing bay leaf, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, fennel seed, sichuan peppercorns, chilli powder, cumin, salt and sugar.

2063957032_drydip.thumb.jpg.a026040386a6cea24dbd585f3897935e.jpg

Dry dip

and some stir-fried purple bok choy (napa cabbage).

538205828_purplenapa.thumb.jpg.850a50e89528e2ae5c9c9af6bfca1681.jpg

The front legs and other bits of leftover meat will go into some wontons for breakfast.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I bought one of the supermarket's roast rabbits.

1098753143_roastrabbit2.thumb.jpg.bfdc9a984a526b22cfb2baa070ada715.jpg

Removed legs and hand-tore the body meat.

522301333_handtornrabbit.thumb.jpg.4bcd2cfa6f99bb99ef8612a36edf729d.jpg

Served with a dry dip containing bay leaf, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, fennel seed, sichuan peppercorns, chilli powder, cumin, salt and sugar.

2063957032_drydip.thumb.jpg.a026040386a6cea24dbd585f3897935e.jpg

Dry dip

and some stir-fried purple bok choy (napa cabbage).

538205828_purplenapa.thumb.jpg.850a50e89528e2ae5c9c9af6bfca1681.jpg

The front legs and other bits of leftover meat will go into some wontons for breakfast.

Thanks for sharing that's looks really good.

This is close to what I am thinking about for the Southern-Fried Rabbit with Gravy and Grits.  This is a Rockfish I did last spring with a ham hock red wine sauce.  It's a bold sauce but surprisingly didn't overpower the rockfish.  What do you think about this with Rabbit?

Pacific Rockfish with Ham Hock Red Wine Sauce.JPG

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

This may be of interest.

We Should All Be Eating More Rabbit

“There’s zero waste, and it’s nutrient dense. It’s really a tremendous protein.”

and this

'World's biggest rabbit' stolen from home in Worcestershire

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto