• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #66: Rhubarb

David Ross

4 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Is it anything like this Rhubarb and Ginger Jam?

That looks like a good recipe, whether or not it's the one @liuzhou had in mind.  I have some rhubarb begging to be used, and I'd like to try this recipe.

One question, however: what is "stem ginger"?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

One question, however: what is "stem ginger

Stem Ginger is Ginger that has been cooked and preserved in a sugar syrup. It's easy to make and wonderful to have on hand. I make a big batch and keep some in the freezer and pull out just enough to use. They say that it keeps a long time in the refrigerator but I prefer to have just enough to use up in a short time. I have a great recipe for it if you would like it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Stem Ginger is Ginger that has been cooked and preserved in a sugar syrup. It's easy to make and wonderful to have on hand. I make a big batch and keep some in the freezer and pull out just enough to use. They say that it keeps a long time in the refrigerator but I prefer to have just enough to use up in a short time. I have a great recipe for it if you would like it.

Yes, please. A recipe for stem ginger would be great.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...