• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bibimbap--Cook-off 14

*Bump* (or multiple *bumps* in light of this topic's long dormancy)

A few nights ago I attended a wedding reception with two buffet table lines. One table was labeled the "taco table"; the other table was labeled the "bibimbop table".

This was Northern Minnesota. Guess which table had the most traffic? 🙂 I boosted the bibimbap table traffic simply by recommending it to my fellow guests. It was clear that tacos were more familiar. We benefitted from the shorter line. (I don't think anyone left hungry, regardless of the buffet they'd chosen.)

The dishes in the Bibimbap line were: coconut rice, larb, vegan larb, Thai curry, kimchi, fresh radishes, fresh chopped cilantro, marinated kale, pickled jalapenos, and probably one or two things I'm forgetting. There were NO eggs involved, either fried or cooked. 

I'm sorry to report that I have no photos from that night. It was all delicious. I'm happy to report that the catering company, associated with a local restaurant, was happy to provide me with recipes when I asked.

This may have been a Northwoods take on bibimbap (not a bowl to be had!) but the flavors were delicious and it was nice to see a collection of family and friends be pleasantly exposed to a new cuisine. I do wonder whether the absence of egg changed the name or serving manner. I'd appreciate an answer, particularly by PM.

I'll post information about the restaurant and a discussion of their approach to food, and bibimbap, when I get around to it.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected final sentence (log)
  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It sounds like a delicious set of options though misleading dish descriptor as bimimbap Anything that expands people's food views is gooid with me, Thanks.It all starts somewhere like "chop-suey" way backa when

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

This may have been a Northwoods take on bibimbap (not a bowl to be had!) but the flavors were delicious and it was nice to see a collection of family and friends be pleasantly exposed to a new cuisine. I do wonder whether the absence of egg changed the name or serving manner.

Well, using the quote from @Jinmyo that appears in the first post in this topic:

To "bibim" is to "stir together" vegetable or meat toppings with boiled calrose rice ("bap").

the buffet selection it seems to fit, although the coconut rice seems unique and gochujang is missing.   Mixing would certainly be easier in a bowl but could be done on a plate. Eggs are verycommon but seem problematic for a buffet. Wonder if that's why they're missing? 

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'll edit this post with a link to the restaurant and a discussion of their approach to food, and bibimbap, when I get around to it.

Given the wedding selections, I'm curious if that restaurant makes Korean tacos, à la Roy Choi or their own version?

Anyway, thanks for bumping the topic.  Last time I bought kimchi, I got a jar of radish kimchi and one of cucumber kimchi and bibimbap sounds like a fun way to use them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Well, using the quote from @Jinmyo that appears in the first post in this topic:

the buffet selection it seems to fit, although the coconut rice seems unique and gochujang is missing.   Mixing would certainly be easier in a bowl but could be done on a plate. Eggs are verycommon but seem problematic for a buffet. Wonder if that's why they're missing? 

Given the wedding selections, I'm curious if that restaurant makes Korean tacos, à la Roy Choi or their own version?

Anyway, thanks for bumping the topic.  Last time I bought kimchi, I got a jar of radish kimchi and one of cucumber kimchi and bibimbap sounds like a fun way to use them!

I've posted about the restaurant here. They do indeed offer "Wok-o-Tacos" as described in their menu: "3 flour tortillas, buttermilk-fried chicken tossed in Korean BBQ, kimchi, pickled red onion, avocado, topped with cilantro, and a drizzle of soyoli". They also offer a bibimbap bowl with a description much more in keeping with what we're reading here. I suspect you're right that the eggs would have been problematic at a buffet table...especially one that was outdoors, as this one was, with only warming trays.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown