• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Darienne

Who makes your birthday cake? (I do.)

The subject heading says it all.  Today is my birthday and as usual I am making my cake.  Sunday is Ed's birthday and so at this point, we are sharing this cake.  And, of course, I have made cakes for our children, our parents, and all sorts of friends.  

A dear friend dropped over this afternoon with a plate of brownies as a gift and on her birthday, I always make her a new version of a peanut butter and chocolate pie.  

Imagine a wonderful cake bought from a terrific bakery...I don't think we have any terrific bakeries in the small city near us.  We lived in it for 25 years and now 23 years outside it, and I sure don't remember any good bakeries.  Or imagine having someone else make you a birthday cake.  Fair to boggles the mind.  

Who makes your birthday cake?

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

My favorite cake for my birthday is an ice cream cake from the store.

DH's was German chocolate cake.

Now that he's gone I have go get my own if I want one.

Better check the freezer space first.

• Like 2

Nobody... not even me. I don't make myself a cake, I don't buy myself a cake and I'm fine with nobody making me a cake. I'm not a birthday humbug. If somebody does something, I'm a good sport about it and it's appreciated. It's just not something that's all that important to me.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

First off, a very happy and joyous birthday wish to @Darienne !!!  

As for cakes, I LOVE making cakes- for me and anyone else.   Now, for surprise birthday parties- which my hubby is notorious for throwing -  he opts for the DQ ice cream cakes.   

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Happy Birthday, Darienne. 

You share a birthday with my oldest daughter.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Happy belated birthday, Darienne, and happy early birthday, Ed! My birthday is Monday, and I MIGHT make myself a coconut cake, but likely won't. I'm more likely to go get myself a birthday watermelon. I have been known to use an ice pick to put holes in the rind for candles.

Might set the melon on fire, though. Think I'll skip that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

48 minutes ago, kayb said:

Happy belated birthday, Darienne, and happy early birthday, Ed! My birthday is Monday, and I MIGHT make myself a coconut cake, but likely won't. I'm more likely to go get myself a birthday watermelon. I have been known to use an ice pick to put holes in the rind for candles.

And a Happy Birthday to you kayb for Monday.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

And then there are those of for whom a birthday cake is meh but a birthday pie or cheesecake - now you're talking. Pies are purchased, cheesecake is home made by my DW, the baker in the family.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, kayb said:

And then there is the fad of making a hole and pouring in strong booze to marinate...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

And then there is the fad of making a hole and pouring in strong booze to marinate...

Now that one sounds good.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

I have plugged a watermelon or two. Birthday and otherwise.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Happy birthday @Darienne, and Ed, and @kayb!  Hope they were wonderful!

Husband and child both prefer ice cream cakes because of the chocolate crunchies and if I could buy just those I think they would be more than thrilled ;) Despite everything that I make, I don't have a particular favorite so I don't usually do a dessert on my birthday.  However, this year, I asked our local fishmonger (who makes a really nice lobster dip but only for holidays, it's not available otherwise) if he would  make some (he said he would) and that will be my birthday "cake" :)!

• Like 3

I make my own if I want one. I use it as a experiment for something I’ve wanted to try or test out. 

Plus, I make everyone else’s as well. Since I do it for a living, I’m kinda doomed 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I try different bakeries. Last year, I had a really big cake, so I cut it into slices and individually double wrapped them in plastic wrap, foil, and then plastic wrap and foil and froze them. I took most of the slices to work, maybe 75% of the cake, and stuck them in the freezer there. The freezer was mostly empty, and had plenty of space. Three days later, the teenager who cleans the fridge out once a week threw them all away because, "they were wrapped in foil, ew!"

• Sad 2

• Similar Content

• By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By pastrygirl
      Anyone have a favorite recipe for chocolate cake using semisweet chocolate?  My usual chocolate cake recipe uses cocoa, but I have some samples of chocolate I want to use up for a workplace party.  Yes, I could make brownies or ganache frosting, or chocolate mousse or chocolate chunk cookies, just feeling like cake this weekend ...
    • By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By Nn, M.D.
      Hello all! I am excited present a cake that has taken weeks of mental planning and troubleshooting.  What I will say is that making this cake has taught me so much about mastering a technique rather than a recipe, and I think that lies at the heart of what it takes to be a good baker.

I wanted to re-create the flavors of ginger ale by making a cake that was very ginger-forward, but that also that was balanced and scrumptious.  The start of the recipe is the crystallized ginger.
      ¾ cup ginger, peeled and sliced to 1/8th in thick
      3 cups water
      ¾ cups sugar

Peel about 8 oz fresh ginger root.  Slice the ginger on a bias; I used a mandolin to get my slices even thickness.  Add to saucepan with high sides, and pour the water over top. Bring to a boil and reduce to a strong simmer for 30-35 min.  Take off the heat and drain the broth, reserving 3 tablespoons (I saved the rest of the broth in ice trays, and it will go in teas and shakes).  Add sugar and water to drained ginger and place on medium high heat.  Stir constantly until water dissolves and sugar recrystallizes on ginger's surface, about 10 minutes.  Pour onto sheet pan to cool completely and dry, at least 1 hour.

Since I was already peeling ginger, I went ahead and peeled some more for my ginger jelly.  Shout out to the eGullet community: I asked*** about how to create some sort of jam or jelly to fill the cake, and you guys provided such great help.  I adapted some techniques from a few recipes to come up with one of my own, and I think it came out quite well.
      ⅔ cup ginger, peeled and grated or chopped in food processor
      5 cups water
      2 cups sugar
      1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
      seeds from lemon
      1 packet liquid pectin

Add ginger and water to saucepan and bring to boil.   Reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.

Then add sugar, lemon juice, and zest to pan and increase heat to medium high.  

Allow to boil for 15 minutes, then add pectin and stir.  Cook for another 5 minutes and then remove from heat to cool completely.  Consider using a piece of cling-film on the surface to prevent a skin from forming.  When cooled, run through a fine mesh strainer to remove ginger chunks.

I went with a genoise sponge because it's my favorite sponge to make.  It's very simple, very elegant, and very easy to customize.  I tried replacing 1 egg with 3 egg yolks and I think this is going to be new baseline genoise recipe.  Also sorry for switching to grams from here on, I just always do cakes in metric
      7 whole eggs, extra large or "jumbo"
      3 egg yolks
      250 g sugar
      200 g whole wheat pastry flour
      50 g corn starch
      1 tsp ground ginger
      ½ tsp ground turmeric
      30 g butter, melted and warm but not hot

Separate 3 eggs and reserve the whites. Add yolks to additional whole eggs and sugar and whip on medium-high speed for 8 minutes, until you have reached ribbon stage.  In the meantime, sift together dry ingredients, pre-heat your oven to 350˚F, and line two 9-inch tins with parchment.  Do not grease the tins as the cake needs to climb the sides of the pan.  Once eggs and sugar are whipped, add dry mix, one heaping tablespoon at a time, with mixer on lowest possible speed.  

Once flour is almost completely incorporated, add a few dollops to butter and mix vigorously.  Add buttered batter to main batter and fold in with rubber spatula, being careful not to deflate the batter.  Once fully mixed in, split between two tins (roughly 500g mix each if using "jumbo" eggs).  Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes.  Remove, allow to cool for 10 minutes, and release by running offset spatula on outside to free from sides.  Invert cake, remove parchment, and place back on cooling rack to cool completely.

When ready to use, split into 2 layers each, 4 layers total.  Brush each exposed side with milk (or simple syrup).

This buttercream is special to me because I have been learning about confectionary lately, marshmallows in particular.  This was a recipe I developed that was inspired by marshmallow fluff + Italian meringue buttercream.  The idea of the barley malt syrup is that it has a strong, malty flavor that feels very ale-y when added to sharp ingredients like ginger.
      200 g barley malt syrup
      100 g water (I used ginger broth from crystallized ginger!)
      210 g sugar
      3 egg whites
      ½ tsp cream of tartar
      1 ½ tsp ground ginger
      ½ tsp ground turmeric
      ¼ tsp sea salt
      350 g butter, at room temperature

Heat syrup, water and sugar over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Then, reduce to medium and bring temperature up to 118˚C (I got to about 115˚ and my pan started scorching, so I aborted there.  Try swirling the syrup every now and then and use a pan with quite high sides).  Once at temperature, remove from heat and whip eggs and cream of tartar until frothy.  Pour syrup into egg whites while on medium speed and then increase to medium-high speed to whip until room temperature. While whipping, add ginger, turmeric and salt.  Once cool, add butter 2 tbsp at a time on medium-low speed.  Stop mixer, scrape down sides, and whip on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth.

To assemble, place a small dollop of frosting on the cake stand and place one layer of sponge.  Make frosting border and fill with half the jam.  Place next sponge on top and using large ice cream scoop, add 3 scoops frosting to the top of the sponge.  Even out layer and take remaining frosting out to cake edges.  Place next layer on top, repeat border and jelly, and finish with the final cake layer.  Add 5 scoops to the top of the sponge and even out to thin layer, taking remaining frosting out to the edges and covering the sides.

Once crumb coated, place in fridge for 20 minutes.  Then take out and frost with remaining buttercream.

Smooth out sides and top of cake and adorn with candied ginger.

Such a nice result and such a tasty cake.  Using milk as my soak has really improved the texture of the final sponge, which is super supple and moist.  I think 3 egg yolks might be the key to the cake being so moist.  It's a sturdy sponge with a tender crumb, and the turmeric actually calms the fury of the ground ginger and produces a very mellow fragrance that you smell right before you take a bite.

• By Wholemeal Crank
      I remember making bundt cakes with 'baked-in' filling, and now I wonder:  would a basic fruit curd stand up to being baked in the middle of a bundt cake without horrible texture fail?

Could something like this basic curd work, chilled enough to allow it to be applied with a pastry bag over the half-filled bundt cake batter, and topped with more batter?  Dreaming now of a pistachio cake with pomegranate filling, but thinking about other combinaions as well--what are the key characteristics required in a 'bake-in' filling?

2/3 cup sugar
      2 T cornstarch
      1 cup pomegranate juice
      1/4 cup lemon juice
      5 egg yolks, whisked together
      1/3 cup butter, cut into chunks

Stirred the sugar, cornstarch and juices together until there were no lumps, then brought it to about 160 degrees. Gradually added it to the whisked eggs, returned to heat, brought to near boil so the cornstarch thickened, then strained it into a bowl, whisked in the butter, and poured into serving dishes to chill.