• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Just downed them with a cup of industrial strength black coffee and received a phone call informing me that I need to postpone my trip! Stressed stress.

Love your breakfast idea. Sorry that your stress is now even more stressful.   Hope you’re catching a few more hours of that sleep that “knits up the ravell’d sleeve”... :)

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Love your breakfast idea. Sorry that your stress is now even more stressful.   Hope you’re catching a few more hours of that sleep that “knits up the ravell’d sleeve”... :)

Yeah, thanks. I've been dozing most of my life the day. Changed plans mean I now have three days of nothing in particular to do.

Good old Macbeth. That Shakey guy sure had a way with words!

Need to start thinking about tomorrow's fast breaker.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4E7D0388-1EE9-4DBF-BF74-787CD4FD98FC.thumb.jpeg.be48fa0f30c81abe823a25eb7850a972.jpeg

Duck egg, duck bacon and a fried tomato. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Nope!   My own duck prosciutto.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

448BDEDC-7605-4491-97C2-9181D68FD6A0.thumb.jpeg.ccec97bdab1c626bea7bc45ea58c8062.jpeg

Cheese Toasties with smoked paprika. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

A568B3D5-B828-43AD-BD6C-427B63ADBF0F.thumb.jpeg.536e29a60376407094ea3d3b5cfb3375.jpeg

I bought pepperoni for a project that remains on my to do list. I am not generally a fan but felt the need to make use of some of it.  Cheese, pepperoni and tomatoes on a split flatbread. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Moe has always loved eggs. At one time he would have been happy to have eggs every morning.  Not so much any more.

And I think that is my fault.  Since I started cooking more "non" traditional breakfast, he seems to have lost his taste for eggs. 

This morning's breakfast.

5ad8af65ae50a_BakedBriereadyfortheovenApril19th20181.thumb.jpg.d78f69551db279f0806c01f0b98fd8f4.jpg

Baked Brie with fresh thyme, black pepper and drizzled with olive oil.

5ad8af8e2f6d8_BakedBriereadyfortheovenApril19th2018.thumb.jpg.f45ebd54de4fb9715fffda3d5af0804a.jpg

Baked until melted and then drizzled with honey and toasted walnuts.

5ad8af78629ab_BakedBriereadyfortheovenApril19th20182.thumb.jpg.778b0482660cd60050136355353d5173.jpg

Reheated a bialy. Cut into wedges and served with the Brie.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Looks great, @Ann_T!

What cast iron pan is that?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 4/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, blue_dolphin said:

popcorn and a gin & tonic instead 

My kinda dinner when I'm feeling lazy! xD

• Like 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@DiggingDogFarm,  It is an 8" Lodge cast iron that I bought to use in the CSO.

5ad95cb1bbd6a_8inchlodge.JPG.b93e4045fc0ea1eb7d8ec55db9dfdc2a.JPG

Thanks, Ann!

I didn't know that one existed.

• Like 1

AA23E2DD-B7E7-4498-9B73-A248F5277ED9.thumb.jpeg.dab8471dd75e547e4b259712cb9a227f.jpeg

Messy but good kimchi pancake.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Cheese omelet, with sautéed zucchini and homemade soupy that Deb gets from one of the truck shop customers.

Soupy?   I hope it’s not another version of scrapple  xD

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Soupy?   I hope it’s not another version of scrapple  xD

That name made me look!  From an old article in the NYT:

SAUSAGE fans in southeastern Connecticut feel fortunate to live where they do, near Westerly, R.I. That is because the city, which is just across the Pawcatuck River, is considered the world capital of soupy: a peppery, dry-cured sausage first produced by people who moved to Westerly from Calabria, Italy, around 1900 to work in the quarries and the factories.

Their descendants -- and many others -- continue to make it today.

Sounds good to me!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I was baffled by soupy too--thanks for looking it up BD :)   I think I would like it, too.  Looks kind of pepperoni-ish?

It is the local slang for sopressata. Quite a few pizza places in this area have "soupy" pizza on their menus.

HC

• Thanks 3

Haven't had kippers for breakfast since I was a child.  These were Scottish smoked herrings that were boiled in their pouch.  Not the same as I remember them.  Back in the day, mom and dad bought larger ones and I remember the fish being broiled.  Anyways, these were nice and tender with  no major bones....childhood fish had lots of nasty bones as I remember.  

A nice change.  I am not a fish fan so will probably not repeat for another 55 years xD

DSC02378.thumb.jpg.a400d02bc6f64cd37a6fd1e255cbe489.jpgDSC02379.thumb.jpg.4af0b740fe3fcb3179ffb236a5592a64.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Haven't had kippers for breakfast since I was a child.  These were Scottish smoked herrings that were boiled in their pouch.  Not the same as I remember them.  Back in the day, mom and dad bought larger ones and I remember the fish being broiled.  Anyways, these were nice and tender with  no major bones....childhood fish had lots of nasty bones as I remember.  

A nice change.  I am not a fish fan so will probably not repeat for another 55 years xD

DSC02378.thumb.jpg.a400d02bc6f64cd37a6fd1e255cbe489.jpgDSC02379.thumb.jpg.4af0b740fe3fcb3179ffb236a5592a64.jpg

Well.  The butter sure is a pretty shape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2