• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Two found this afternoon, both slightly more expensive...

From James Beard Foundation Hall of Fame member Maida Heatter: 

Maida Heatter's "Chocolate Is Forever: Classic Cakes, Cookies, Pastries, Pies, Puddings, Candies, Confections, and More" Kindle Edition $3.99US

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Maida Heatter's "Cookies Are Magic: Classic Cookies, Brownies, Bars, and More" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Measurements are Imperial.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the first chapter's recipe listing, then scroll a little more to see a couple recipes.

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The Kindle version of Julia Turshen's recent book, Simply Julia (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), is currently $3.99 on Amazon.com and .ca

It's marked as a deal of the day, so I don't expect the price to last.  

I've been cooking from it quite a bit as it's the book of the month in a Facebook cookbook group that I belong to and I've been kind of surprised how much I've been enjoying it.  Every recipe has not been a hit but there are quite a few excellent ones, like the Kale & Mushroom Pot Pie that's topped with triangles of puff pastry that's both easy and fancy-looking.  The subtitle is, "110 Easy Recipes for Healthy Comfort Food," so it's not the book to take you on a culinary adventure but there are a lot of very easy, satisfying recipes.  And with respect to the word Healthy in the subtitle, Julia seems to be approaching it in a spirit of attraction (meals that make you feel healthy) rather than restriction.  It's not a diet book in any way.  It is a very personal book.  Lots of recipes are named for Julia's friends or family members and the header notes share their stories. Speaking of stories, there are a number of essays scattered through the book that I've enjoyed reading.   Amazon's "Look Inside" feature has enough of a sample to see if her writing and the style of the book appeals to you.  

For more about the book, the various interviews of her virtual book tour are available as episodes of her podcast, Keep Calm and Cook On

• Like 1

I'm waffling on The Nom Wah Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from 100 Years at New York City's Iconic Dim Sum Restaurant  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  I don't think I would cook from it but it looks like it would be a good read...at least until I can feel OK about actually going to a crowded dim sum place in person. 

The Kindle version is $3.99 on both Amazon.com and .ca

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Kindle version is $3.99 on both Amazon.com and .ca

Thank you for this. I do very little cooking these days but a great deal of reading. I have a very healthy gift card for Amazon that I am happy to use. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Could not resist Save Me the Plums for $1.99. Thanks.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog