• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Toliver

From BookBub...not a cookbook but a memoir:

"As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child & Avis DeVoto" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

19 hours ago, Toliver said:

From BookBub...not a cookbook but a memoir:

"As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child & Avis DeVoto" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I thought this was a very good read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I thought this was a very good read.

Thanks, I think. I caved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

From this afternoon's perusing:

IACP Cookbook Award for Food Photography & Styling, IACP Cookbook Award for Design 
"The Cook's Atelier: Recipes, Techniques, and Stories from Our French Cooking School" Kindle Edition $2.51US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and you may have to scroll up to see the list of recipes.

Amazon has an e-book credit promotion currently going on through Sept. 22, 2021.

Collect enough credits/accrue enough points to buy an e-book.

Just above the gold/yellow "Buy Now with 1-Click" tab of the above e-cookbook are the words "You Earn: 13 pts Details". Click on the word Details for information on this promotion.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

On 7/8/2021 at 10:46 AM, Anna N said:

Thanks, I think. I caved.

Wow! I just had to come back and say how much I am enjoying this book. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks for the tip!  Both Kindle versions are now available for $1.99 on Amazon.com as well.  

Dining In: Highly Cookable Recipes: A Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Alison Roman.  I have the hardcover version of this one and I like it.  I know she's gotten in trouble for cultural/ethnic appropriation but she's very good at writing recipes that work. 

High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Jessica B. Harris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of finds, one old, one new...

This was posted quite some time ago...
Alice Medrich's "Sinfully Easy Delicious Desserts: Quicker, Smarter Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes.
Measurements are Imperial with weights included.

Food Network's Jeff Mauro's "Come On Over: 111 Fantastic Recipes for the Family That Cooks, Eats, and Laughs Together" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the list of recipes. Then scroll further down to see some recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Another found this morning...

From James Beard winner Cheryl Alters Jamison and her husband Bill, it's:

"Chicken on the Grill: 100 Surefire Ways to Grill Perfect Chicken Every Time" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From this morning's BookBub email...

An introduction to cooking:

Chef Hugh Acheson's "How to Cook: Building Blocks and 100 Simple Recipes for a Lifetime of Meals: A Cookbook" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll all the way down to see the listing of the first 25 recipes.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

@Toliver  Thank you for continuing to post these.  I usually have a look at most of them.  One thing I have noticed about the previews is that in most cases, "must have" ingredient lists and equipment take up most of the space, which for me, makes the preview useless.  I would think most people know you need a pot to boil water and a frying pan to cook an egg and salt and pepper to season what you are cooking.  What I would find useful is an index of the recipes and a sampling of the recipes.  That will help me to make a decision on whether I want the book ot not.  I won't buy a book unless it provides me with at least that, unless I already know I want the book.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Toliver  Thank you for continuing to post these.  I usually have a look at most of them.  One thing I have noticed about the previews is that in most cases, "must have" ingredient lists and equipment take up most of the space, which for me, makes the preview useless.  I would think most people know you need a pot to boil water and a frying pan to cook an egg and salt and pepper to season what you are cooking.  What I would find useful is an index of the recipes and a sampling of the recipes.  That will help me to make a decision on whether I want the book ot not.  I won't buy a book unless it provides me with at least that, unless I already know I want the book.

I agree that I absolutely want to see at recipe or two so I can see how they're written, how ingredients are specified, etc.  

I often use Eat Your Books to check out potential purchases.  If they've been indexed, it's easy to see a list of the recipes and ingredients.  I also check out notes on the recipes if any have been entered. For a lot of newer books, there's a "Digital Preview" that will show a few recipes, too.

Paid membership is necessary to maintain a library of your own books, but the features I mentioned above are available with a free account. 

• Like 2

This month's Amazon offerings has a lot of previously posted cookbooks...kind of disappointing.

Two bargains found, one old (previously posted) and a new one:

"Sara Moulton's Everyday Family Dinners" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see the recipe listing for the first chapter and some recipes.

Not a cookbook...a commentary on the Food World and those populating it...

Anthony Bourdain's "Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook (P.S.)" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

Thank you, @Toliver, for continuing this posts.

Had to buy the AB book.  Adds to my pile of digital books for vacations and such. It will probably get read while in the eastern Sierras later this month.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Found this afternoon:

Slightly more expensive...
From by Marc Vetri, Claire Kopp McWilliams, and David Joachim  "Mastering Bread: The Art and Practice of Handmade Sourdough, Yeast Bread, and Pastry [A Baking Book]" Kindle Edition $3.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Well reviewed.
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll up to see the list of recipes.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

From BookBub today...

"That Cheese Plate Will Change Your Life: Creative Gatherings and Self-Care with the Cheese By Numbers Method" (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) Kindle Edition $1.99US
Use the "Look Inside" feature to see some photos of the cheese/meat plates.

There's a recipe index but it's not clear what a lot the recipes involve.
Well Reviewed.
There are some photos from the cookbook on this cookbook's Amazon Info page.

Tim Oliver

The Kindle version of Bestia: Italian Recipes Created in the Heart of L.A. (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Ori Menashe and his wife Genevieve Gergis, owners of the restaurant of the same name is currently $2.99 on Amazon.com but not on .ca

This book is a bit restaurant chef-y with a number of recipes that require previous prep of other recipes.  Not the book you turn to at 5:30 for dinner at six but everything I've tried has been very good and generally worth the effort.  When my Facebook cooking group cooked from this book, there were a lot of raves for the salad dressings. I'm a fan of the pizzas.

So as not to leave out the other coast, Estella (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Ignacio Mattos and Gabe Ulla of the NYC bistro of the same name is also $2.99.  Sadly, not in Canada, either.  I have the hardback of this book.  It's beautifully photographed and has a lot of interesting ingredient combinations that I've used more for inspiration than actually making the exact recipe.  Flipping through now, I'm thinking I should change that. 

Edited to add one more:

Kindle versions of Josef Centeno's Bäco: Vivid Recipes from the Heart of Los Angeles (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) are $2.99 on both .com and .ca  I like that book a lot, especially the Bäco breads!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another Williams-Sonoma found this afternoon...

"Pasta Night: Dinner Solutions for Every Day of the Week (Williams-Sonoma)" Kindle Edition $1.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
Use the "Look Inside" feature...you may have to scroll upward to see the list of recipes.
Recipes look to be Imperial with some Metric measurements.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Sorry for the double post but I found two more...

The first cookbook below was posted a few years back.
The second (by the same author) is a new find...

Alice Medrich's "Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cookies" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
B00DHUERGI
Use the "Look Inside" feature and scroll down to see recipes. Uses Imperial measurements with weights for some ingredients.

Alice Medrich's "Pure Dessert: True Flavors, Inspiring Ingredients, and Simple Recipes" Kindle Edition $2.99US (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

The Kindle version of Michael Twitty's The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is $1.99 on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

Ferment: A Guide to the Ancient Art of Culturing Foods, from Kombucha to Sourdough (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)by Holly Davis with a foreword by Sandor Katz is $2.99 on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca

Max Halley's Max's Sandwich Book: The Ultimate Guide to Creating Perfection Between Two Slices of Bread (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is $1.99 on both .com & .ca.  This little book is a favorite of mine.  Max is a hoot and the book is packed with his crazy sandwiches.  If you like sandwiches, you are sure to pick up some ideas to try.  How about some gravy mayo for your turkey sandwich made from holiday dinner leftovers?  

• Like 1