• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

But Thank God, your sense of humor is alive and healthy!  Hope the rest of you catches up with it quickly.  I suspect Kerry Beal will be putting on her best scrubs and bringing you a supply of her baked goods any minute now.  One taste and they will beg her to take over the dietary dept.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks to everyone. I know that the sausage McMuffin is not the healthiest meal choice but what’s healthy about a meal you cannot eat?  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

44 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Margarine 

N. of the Border ?

WW I or WW II vintage ?

and infusion of Crispy Calamari

might be what the Doctor Orders.

just saying

Thanks. But amazingly somebody handed the doctor my meal tray and said since you’re going in there you might as well take it. Apparently our doctors are willing to do anything. We were both quite amused .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

@Anna N!  NO!  Dang it.  

Good grief, even some powdered eggs sound better than that drivel.

If you mix them with a little Spam maybe.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Maybe that's actually a chia-date PET.  Just douse it with the spring water and see if it sprouts 🙃

You’re the best. Why didn’t I think of that. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

And the amount of water  in that container is less that I rinse my mouth out after brushing teeth.  Who thought that could quench any thirst?

I just think it’s ridiculous the cost of putting that on a hospital tray when they could spend it on fresh vegetables or fruit make our farmers is a decent living.  Keep some of the freaking plastic out of the environment.   Really that is the most egregious thing on the tray. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Haven't seen Sealtest milk in 40 years at least

I am not a milk drinker. I might use milk in baking but that’s about it so I’m not very familiar with brands anymore.  I don’t drink milk and I don’t drink juice. But I’m not faulting them for that. That’s just a personal choice.Canada’s new and touted food rules  tells us that we should make water our drink of choice. Looks like some water company has jumped on that bandwagon and is now making a fortune selling ridiculous amounts of water to hospitals. We have access to ice water and if we don’t want ice there is a bathroom in every room.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I’m sure it’s a budgetary choice I just think it’s a poor choice.

Nope not for pill taking.  Water is brought to every patient more than once a day. 

That is why stewed prunes were invented. Oh.Pardon me, stewed dried plums. 

You want me to do what in Styrofoam container?  They are not that big.  A20C6E7A-9584-41A0-BD95-1F0A1A87BBA3.thumb.jpeg.117ab740128a4d595ec8c6433271a73e.jpeg

So far the pita has taken the prize for a bizarre idea. I did try it and it was so dry that I could not even swallow it. Maybe that’s what the water is for— to get down the Pita. 

You are all making me laugh so much I will be out of here in no time.

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

So brace yourself for lunch:

F22C4E0D-A33E-4615-AA4F-6A4437D806F0.thumb.jpeg.6ca20e53364a85b7fdabc160b2f211da.jpeg338DA281-E72C-4933-972E-6070425F0A36.thumb.jpeg.826d1ecc70d455650f46efa9e5bf5a42.jpeg

kudos again to the dietary staff.  They have finally figured out how to get the soup to the patient while it is still hot. The only problem is the lid is so difficult to remove that you are much more likely to end up with a lap full of soup  than a belly full of it.

I did manage to get the lid off and stare into the container. It appeared to be a layer of water overlying a layer of vegetables?   Harvested by what?   Certainly not a hard-working farmer.   But I did recognize the smell from way back when and I’m pretty sure it’s Campbell’s.

What the hell is SW Salmon? 

And have you ever tried saltines with no salt? Why do they think they called them saltines? They taste like not even fresh  cardboard.

Fresh honey dew perhaps. Ripe honeydew?  No way. From this tray I snatched the pepper and I did eat the melon. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Girl, you're gonna come outta there skinnier than a Barbie Doll.

The thing is I had already decided to attempt Intermittent fasting to take off some pounds.  I just would’ve preferred to do it my way! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And have you ever tried saltines with no salt? Why do they think they called them saltines?

I love your sardonic sense of humor! Whatever you've got, I hope they let you out soon. All the best to you -- 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now for dinner: 

BFDDB8BE-2E8D-49FC-98F7-DCA52E7A58F0.thumb.jpeg.5bca1acff0dfa62b27b06e3b5ffdf27a.jpeg

1B29C053-1E89-4F30-91BE-92DF476FF284.thumb.jpeg.fd401369f4659107692690eb2ca6ec25.jpeg

The smell was just awful. 

Had to look up kalebazo mix.  Click

I did stick a fork into the lasagna  and learned they had not yet solved the problem of the cold entrée. Lasagna has to be really good to appeal to me.  This did not even come close.   As for the vegetables I could not get past the smell.  If you’ve ever been in an apartment block where  low income people dwell you would recognize this smell.  It is the smell of poverty.  Lingering cooking odours that never leave the hallways. Brassicas cooked until they are unrecognizable. 

I saved the pepper and there will be no rescue tonight.   My weight-loss plan has finally started in earnest. 

I did save the salmon sandwich as emergency rations. But if SW stands for southwestern I would love to know which country they were referring to. Nothing recognizable as Tex-Mex. WW stands for whole-wheat. That is the only bread this hospital serves and I have never bought into the theory that it is very much more nutritious them plain white bread. At least they didn’t waste margarine on it. 0C0E2EF5-3C9E-4429-88D3-D2FCBFB8378D.thumb.jpeg.5e56b4c06d44028b9fc1cafc0344be39.jpeg

It would have to be a much bigger emergency to persuade me to eat anymore than two bites of the bread.

If you think I am exaggerating and I am to some very limited extent for the sake of houmour, The last time I was in this hospital the man in the room next to mine would receive his meal and dump the whole thing into the garbage can.  Cutlery and everything.  And I eavesdropped around enough to know that I was not by any means alone in my opinion of the food. One or two people praised it to high heaven and you could only wonder what the hell they ate at home. 

I was interviewed at that time by one of the culinary interns. Apparently none of my suggestions were incorporated  despite her a parent enthusiasm for my ideas. 

I understand they do not have an unlimited budget. I understand feeding seven floors of people is challenging. I just don’t believe that you can’t produce interesting, nutritious, tasty and attractive meals.  This is a brand new hospital and as far as we are told nothing was spared to make it the most technologically advanced Hospital in the province.  Perhaps some of that budget could’ve been allocated to the meal plans?   Innovations in food preparation? But what do I know?  For the cost of the tiny cartons of spring water on my tray could we not have a choice of saltine crackers? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Id never heard of Green Garbanzo Beans :

""""Green garbanzo beans are harvested before the beanhardens into the familiar brown chickpea. The beansare bright green and have the flavor and satisfying pop of edamame but without soy! Green garbanzo beansare the perfect light snack ""

GGB :  a perfect light snack 

Wow.

• Confused 2

First class on an airplane costs less than a day in the hospital, yet they manage to feed people with much  less disgusting food. It's all a matter of wanting to do a decent job. 

They ought to let Chik-fil-A do the catering. Or Boston Market. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id never heard of Green Garbanzo Beans :

""""Green garbanzo beans are harvested before the beanhardens into the familiar brown chickpea. The beansare bright green and have the flavor and satisfying pop of edamame but without soy! Green garbanzo beansare the perfect light snack ""

GGB :  a perfect light snack 

Wow.

I feel about kale and about garbanzo beans exactly the same way you feel about green peppers.  And to put them both in the same dish!  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm waiting to see the Jell-O.  No hospital visit is official here unless you get a cup of the stuff!   And it has to be red.  And it has to leap off the spoon and roll down the front of your gown.  And the nurse has to roll her eyes when she sees the mess you have made.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 12