• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, Darienne said:

At least, my dear, you are not alone.  Your thread is dominating the contents page...which is good.  And I am glad for you.  A hospital stay can be a very lonely and isolating one.  

Thank you.  The board survives because members keep it alive and interesting and I like to do my bit.   Of course I enjoy it too.  It does make the time go faster.   And the support I get from so many people probably does more for me than all the pharmaceuticals in the world.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You are right. Once I start feeling a little more like myself I will do so.

Done!  You pricked my conscience.  But while I was looking for some contact information I came across this: 

B703459A-ED74-476E-B08C-0DDDFE93864A.thumb.jpeg.47c05f3a14b3473c3e65cbd369cd8da5.jpeg

I knew about the room service.

You would all be more than happy to pay $10 for one of these delicious and nutritious meals wouldn’t you?

• Haha 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

So just a word of advice. Never get yourself admitted to a hospital on a Friday....

This was my first reaction after reading your first post.     As a weekend in-patient, I've always felt that I was simply a contributor to the hospital's bottom line.

Which leads me to my second conclusion as a patient,    IMHO, length of hospital stay and number and sophistication of tests ordered are in direct correlation to patient's insurance coverage.     Earlier this year, I had to remind the hospitalist that the test she was recommending "since we have some time to kill before the MRI machine is available" was a duplication of coverage of another test already administered and read.    "Ah, yes.    I guess that would be redundant."  

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

Just now, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This was my first reaction after reading your first post.     As a weekend in-patient, I've always felt that I was simply a contributor to the hospital's bottom line.

Which leads me to my second conclusion as a patient,    IMHO, length of hospital stay and number and sophistication of tests ordered are in direct correlation to patient's insurance coverage.     Earlier this year, I had to remind the hospitalist that the test she was recommending "since we have some time to kill before the MRI machine is available" was a duplication of coverage of another test already administered and read.    "Ah, yes.    I guess that would be redundant."  

Thanks for your comment and I would and answer you except that I really was trying to avoid this going off into healthcare costs and all the politics etc. therein.   I was hoping we could keep it to food.  Hope you don’t mind if we don’t drag it in that direction. Anna

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Soooo :

What's on the   "" Special Guest Menu ""

and for Regular Guests ?

its sort of reminds me of the FBI  and Special Agents .

I don’t know I should have to see if I can get one.   I will know just too much about this darn hospital before I get out of here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

581FD082-EC87-47CD-8411-AF6CD55ADB36.thumb.jpeg.57a1b97032e11a696471a4578716edb8.jpegMy real food mid morning snack:

Well apparently this week we are celebrating the South West or Solid Waste. 

9F13F56B-98B2-4283-92DB-56DF0CA1EA9B.thumb.jpeg.1a674d0b51129af437bfe0624cf44a6b.jpeg

0C38483C-D6DF-42D4-AB18-33DD9DE198D9.thumb.jpeg.68192aa57e3c2814500c23b6d0df2108.jpeg

I actually tasted the soup and I can assure you not one chicken was harmed in the making of it but an awful lot of rice was sacrificed.  With a little work and a bit more cooking we might be able to make a decent congee out of it. 

AD04872A-2FE6-4E4A-9A11-6AE47E04888A.thumb.jpeg.0b6015ec9ecc1930668eb04d47c5effb.jpeg

Sorry gang there is only so much I’m willing to take for the team. I didn’t taste this so I’m going to conclude that it is Solid Waste. 

Kudos for the banana. I hate bananas.

A little later my daughter is going to bring a salad from the food court downstairs and a cup of coffee. I will hold out for those.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 5

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

AD04872A-2FE6-4E4A-9A11-6AE47E04888A.thumb.jpeg.0b6015ec9ecc1930668eb04d47c5effb.jpeg

A friend who volunteered making sandwiches for a soup kitchen was instructed to always spread both filling and butter or mayo over the entire slice of bread, crust to crust, to ensure the sandwich was not dry.   Apparently not a universal rule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Anna, we have to get you a "I survived the great toast shortage of 2019 t-shirt!" They might sell them in the gift shop. I know you are getting the best care and I take comfort in that. I wonder if anyone in the Kitchen ever tastes any of this food before it goes out. Maybe no one is brave enough or won't do it unless they get danger pay! 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, demiglace said:

I wonder if anyone in the Kitchen ever tastes any of this food before it goes out. Maybe no one is brave enough or won't do it unless they get danger pay! 

Hey, I've felt that way in not a few restaurants!

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

eG is one tough group , that's for sure.

sneak in some seasoning , of one's choice 

and I would have tried at lest a bit of the TML

and those  SW w WW

Id just have tossed one slice of WW , and made a double-1/2  SW.

Im not claiming Id have must more than one bite

after all , I did survive  3  BK  $ 1  Tacos.

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Anna, we have to get you a "I survived the great toast shortage of 2019 t-shirt!" They might sell them in the gift shop. I know you are getting the best care and I take comfort in that. I wonder if anyone in the Kitchen ever tastes any of this food before it goes out. Maybe no one is brave enough or won't do it unless they get danger pay! 

I am waiting here for a procedure and I’m thinking the perhaps we could arrange for the next board meeting of the hospital to have a tray given to each member of the board!  Wonder what that might accomplish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

A friend who volunteered making sandwiches for a soup kitchen was instructed to always spread both filling and butter or mayo over the entire slice of bread, crust to crust, to ensure the sandwich was not dry.   Apparently not a universal rule.

We had a discussion elsewhere on the board sometime ago about the whole concept of buttering toast and bread to the very edges. I wish I could recall where it was because it was quite interesting. I believe the phrase was wall-to-wall!

Edited by Anna N
Because my stenographer suckS. (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

these sandwiches seem to be produced by the

Scoop and Smash method.

I really do have to steal that description. It’s perfect.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On the plus side and there is always a plus side – – I  must be improving healthwise. I managed to get the lid off the marmalade using nothing but brute strength and ignorance.  Who needs Lee Valley.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

eG is one tough group , that's for sure.

sneak in some seasoning , of one's choice 

and I would have tried at lest a bit of the TML

and those  SW w WW

Id just have tossed one slice of WW , and made a double-1/2  SW.

Im not claiming Id have must more than one bite

after all , I did survive  3  BK  $ 1  Tacos.

You are only saying that because we don’t have Smell o Vision!   That would be the discouragement you need.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am waiting here for a procedure and I’m thinking the perhaps we could arrange for the next board meeting of the hospital to have a tray given to each member of the board!  Wonder what that might accomplish.

Anna, I think that's a terrific idea. At the very least, you could express your dismay about ALL THE PLASTIC. And the waste from the sealed cups of water, which seem to be completely unnecessary. I would think they'd be concerned about waste, and you could point out that bringing in packaged but inedible food is creating lots, of both the solid and financial variety.

Bonus points if you could arrange for their meal to be served as the food is offered to patients.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

0C38483C-D6DF-42D4-AB18-33DD9DE198D9.thumb.jpeg.68192aa57e3c2814500c23b6d0df2108.jpeg

Now, that's what I call a banana for an optimist.  When I see bananas of that color in the store, I always pass them by, thinking, "Not sure I'll live long enough for them to ripen." 

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We had a discussion elsewhere on the board sometime ago about the whole concept of buttering toast and bread to the very edges. I wish I could recall where it was because it was quite interesting. I believe the phrase was wall-to-wall!

"Wall to wall" is exactly the way Gabrielle Hamilton directs but your sandwich is exactly the way they were made at my work cafeteria.  Not sure why they couldn't spare 5 sec to spread stuff out at least a little. 

• Haha 2

Woohoo. I have been unisolated!   I know it’s not a word but I like it.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog