Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)


FrogPrincesse
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pastrami.

145F for 72 hours. Just went in the bath.

 

7 pound prime brisket flat

2 week dry cure:

2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup mortons kosher salt
Pickling spices 1/4 cup
1.5 teaspoon curing salt 

2 week

3 hour soak change water multiple times

 

Coat with cracked pepper/coriander seed (2:1)

Air dry in fridge overnite

5 Hours in smoker at 150 degrees (apple)wood.

Rest overnite in fridge.

Portion, bag, sous vide as above.

Freeze.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, gfweb said:

try flat iron steaks...SV at 134 for 2 or 3 hrs.

 

They are pretty cheap where we live

 

I should have read this first.  Flat iron steaks are something I have never seen sold as such in our supermarkets.  But since others think so highly of them, I went to my butcher and he cut me a couple.  Thinking I should cook it the way one would cook a flank steak, I planned on cooking it sous vide for 24 hours at 134F.  We really liked the one and only flank steak I ever cooked this same way.   It is presently floating around in it's water bath, and NOW I decide to check out what others have said and most seem to do it for only a couple of hours.  Will I ruin it by letting it go for 24 hours?  Is it really so different from flank steak?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

 

I should have read this first.  Flat iron steaks are something I have never seen sold as such in our supermarkets.  But since others think so highly of them, I went to my butcher and he cut me a couple.  Thinking I should cook it the way one would cook a flank steak, I planned on cooking it sous vide for 24 hours at 134F.  We really liked the one and only flank steak I ever cooked this same way.   It is presently floating around in it's water bath, and NOW I decide to check out what others have said and most seem to do it for only a couple of hours.  Will I ruin it by letting it go for 24 hours?  Is it really so different from flank steak?

I find 2 hrs plenty. It isn't real tough to start with unless you treat it like a strip steak and grill it.

 

You could test it. I'm afraid 24 hrs would turn it mushy.

Agree w 24h for flank steak

Edited by gfweb (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I find 2 hrs plenty. It isn't real tough to start with unless you treat it like a strip steak and grill it.

 

You could test it. I'm afraid 24 hrs would turn it mushy.

Agree w 24h for flank steak

 

Dang it all.  So what should I do, pull it, ice it and put it on tomorrow a couple of hours before dinner?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

 

Dang it all.  So what should I do, pull it, ice it and put it on tomorrow a couple of hours before dinner?

 

how long was it in?

 

Might be perfect right now

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It went in around 6:30.  

If that's 6:30PM - as in about 3.5 hours ago, I'd say pull it and ice it then stick in the refrigerator. Tomorrow, you can give it a sear straight out of the fridge and by the time it's fully seared, the middle will be up to temp.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

If that's 6:30PM - as in about 3.5 hours ago, I'd say pull it and ice it then stick in the refrigerator. Tomorrow, you can give it a sear straight out of the fridge and by the time it's fully seared, the middle will be up to temp.

 

I have pulled it and it is on ice.  It is about 2" thick.  Given the thickness, it will come up to temp that quickly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

 

I have pulled it and it is on ice.  It is about 2" thick.  Given the thickness, it will come up to temp that quickly?

Wow - I didn't realize it was that thick.  In that case, if you like it rare/medium rare, I'd put it in a 115F bath for maybe a half hour before serving just to bring it up to temp a bit. Then dry it off and sear and that should take it the rest of the way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put the steak back on an hour before dinner at 134F, dried it and gave it a fast sear.  I'd like to know where this cut of meat has been all my life.  It is delicious.  It was tender and full of  beefy goodness.  I have another one in the freezer with the same 2" thickness and I will do it the same length of times but maybe at 136F.  I found it just a bit to rare for our tastes.  Thank you @gfweb and @KennethT for your help.  @rotuts  I think I'll let the pros do the cutting for me.  I wouldn't know where to start.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ElsieD  

 

the cutting is actually very easy.

 

I wouldn't pass up a blade roast  if decently priced.

 

you could simply SV it as a roast or 2 w a simp[le cutting in 1/2 

 

for two smaller roasts.

 

now that you know how tasty the blade is ....,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have any really good pictures, but our turkey was the best we've ever cooked.  I got two bone-in breast halves and 4 drumsticks at Wegmans.  I sealed each of the breast halves and 2 each of the drumsticks in bags with butter, black pepper, and Bell's seasoning (poultry seasoning).  Dinner was at 6:30.  I put the drumsticks in at 3am at 148F.  The breasts were put in at noon.  It all came out at 5:30pm.  It was all supposed to be seared in ghee in an iron skillet at high heat.  This was one of the few slip ups of the meal.  Mr. Kim is just not a natural cook - he will follow directions to a T, but he has no experience or instinct.  He'll read that something should take X minutes to cook.  At exactly X minutes, he stops cooking and serves it without finding out if is it even hot.  I've been served a lot of cold food since I've been out of commission.  LOL.  I was out of the kitchen when he put the drumsticks in the skillet.  When I went in, the drumsticks were merrily boiling away in all of the juices from the bag.  I'd forgotten to tell him to pour off the liquid before searing😖.  It turned out fine.  The skin was flabby, but the meat was delectable.  

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I don't have any really good pictures, but our turkey was the best we've ever cooked.  I got two bone-in breast halves and 4 drumsticks at Wegmans.  I sealed each of the breast halves and 2 each of the drumsticks in bags with butter, black pepper, and Bell's seasoning (poultry seasoning).  Dinner was at 6:30.  I put the drumsticks in at 3am at 148F.  The breasts were put in at noon.  It all came out at 5:30pm.  It was all supposed to be seared in ghee in an iron skillet at high heat.  This was one of the few slip ups of the meal.  Mr. Kim is just not a natural cook - he will follow directions to a T, but he has no experience or instinct.  He'll read that something should take X minutes to cook.  At exactly X minutes, he stops cooking and serves it without finding out if is it even hot.  I've been served a lot of cold food since I've been out of commission.  LOL.  I was out of the kitchen when he put the drumsticks in the skillet.  When I went in, the drumsticks were merrily boiling away in all of the juices from the bag.  I'd forgotten to tell him to pour off the liquid before searing😖.  It turned out fine.  The skin was flabby, but the meat was delectable.  

Kim, this sounds wonderful!  How are you feeling?  Been thinking about you a lot (((hugs)))

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Kim, this sounds wonderful!  How are you feeling?  Been thinking about you a lot (((hugs)))

Thanks so much for asking. Unfortunately pretty much the same. Maybe a little worse since my other knee is starting to react to being depended on so much more. I go to the doctor on Wednesday, though, so I’ve got my fingers crossed that he will have a plan !

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a fresh pineapple part of which I was thinking of turning into a marinade for skirt steak. A few questions:

- how long is too long to marinade? My internet prowls suggest that the enzyme bromelain will turn the meat to mush.

- does one pour off the marinade prior to sous vide?

- how long for the sous vide?

- temp?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@rotuts, normally at my house a skirt steak is marinated in something vinegary, sweet + spice. You're suggesting not to marinate?

 

Maybe I have my head screwed on backwards, but I usually don't make sauces for after the meat comes out of sous vide. And sometimes I think the sous vided meat is a little too plain.

 

So you're suggesting I think differently about this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TdeV 

 

Id do it both ways and see :

 

for SV , I ve added minimal seasoning 

 

Chicago Steak is one I like

 

but very little  

 

the use the Jus

 

hopefully minimal

 

as it comes from the Steak

 

and make that your sauce 

 

for meat , ie beef

 

i really like 130.1

 

flavor stays in the meat 

 

then you deal w what you have later

 

turkey ,  a favorite of ime

 

142.5

 

odd that are so different 

 

but those temps suit me

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Mr. Kim went to Kroger for hot dog buns last night and came home with these:

62985458334__A2C0916B-99EC-4CAB-87EA-EE599AEE5A38.jpg.1d00e8a771f3475c721e3184e7576659.jpg

They were $5.49/lb.  One was 5.5 lb. and the other was 6 lb.  I'm hoping that they will fit in a vacuum bag so that I can freeze them until I have time to cook them.  My question is, assuming I can fit them in a bag, should I dry and season before I bag them?  Or should I bag/wrap them and when I thaw, take them, let them dry out in the fridge for a few days and then vacuum and SV?  Or should I not SV at all and go old school roast in the oven?  I don't want to ruin these lovely things.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...