• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Your season is amazingly different from ours! I don't think the potatoes will be ready for another couple of months! Sometimes I've seen sacks for sale by Labor Day.

Don't you get any of the new-potato varieties there before then, @Smithy? We are an in-between climate season here (I think) but we get the new Warba potatoes in late May or so. And others later in the summer. 

What type of potatoes do you grow @Shelby

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Your season is amazingly different from ours! I don't think the potatoes will be ready for another couple of months! Sometimes I've seen sacks for sale by Labor Day.

It's soooo much hotter here.  Actually I didn't get my potatoes from Burpee as soon as I should have.  They ship when THEY think it's time to plant.  It's about 2-3 weeks too late IMO.  I used to plant right around St. Pat's Day.  I didn't get my order until the end of March and really, this year, I would have planted the first week of March. 

18 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Don't you get any of the new-potato varieties there before then, @Smithy? We are an in-between climate season here (I think) but we get the new Warba potatoes in late May or so. And others later in the summer. 

Russets and Yukon Gold :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Actually, you're right: we get new-potato types here too. Offhand I can't think of the varieties. I was thinking of the large varieties -- russets and so on -- when I talked about not getting them until later.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown