• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The obligatory turkey counts as a "new" tradition for me. My parents loathe turkey, and my sister and I were indifferent at best, so we never had it at holidays when I was growing up. We usually opted for a roast (beef or venison) or a ham, instead. When my kids lived at home I did the same, or would mix it up occasionally with a big roaster chicken or something like that. I'd buy a turkey while they were cheap over the holidays, but usually broke it down uncooked for multiple future meals, instead of roasting it. I still maintain that the traditional big ol' roasted turkey is about the least interesting thing to do with the poor bird. 

I didn't start doing turkey at home until my (American) second wife came along. She was a big fan of the traditional meal with all the traditional sides (except Brussels sprouts...she was a super-taster, and couldn't abide anything bitter). I'd never eaten green-bean casserole until she made it for me, either. I'm sure some families in Canada make it, but it's not as much of a "thing" here. I've lived in six provinces, and don't think I've ever seen it on anyone else's holiday spread. 

My current GF (second wife passed away unexpectedly a few years ago) is also a fan of the turkey, so that's what we did this weekend. 

Yeah. Neither turkey nor Thanksgiving were part of mine or my late husband's tradition so the holiday went largely unrecognised. Now two of my kids celebrate with their partners but my bachelor son carries on our "non Thanksgiving" tradition. I think, in general, Thanksgiving is much more of a hit or miss affair in Canada. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Yeah. Neither turkey nor Thanksgiving were part of mine or my late husband's tradition so the holiday went largely unrecognised. Now two of my kids celebrate with their partners but my bachelor son carries on our "non Thanksgiving" tradition. I think, in general, Thanksgiving is much more of a hit or miss affair in Canada. 

I wouldn't mind skipping turkey day.  It's too close to Christmas here in the states.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

What I love to see is somebody starting a new tradition when the family dynamics change. 

Hopefully I didn't derail this into a Canadian thanksgiving discussion though. I just mentioned it here because the steak posts had me really wanting steak and it's something my, extremely picky when it comes to food, kid will always eat. Now I'm looking forward to that steak sandwich...

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpeg

My early morning snack was so good that I decided to expand on it for breakfast. Toast spread with pork drippings instead of butter, thinly sliced leftover pork roast and a few cherry tomatoes.  Lots of salt and pepper.  Probably will not need lunch.

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The obligatory turkey counts as a "new" tradition for me. My parents loathe turkey, and my sister and I were indifferent at best, so we never had it at holidays when I was growing up. We usually opted for a roast (beef or venison) or a ham, instead. When my kids lived at home I did the same, or would mix it up occasionally with a big roaster chicken or something like that. I'd buy a turkey while they were cheap over the holidays, but usually broke it down uncooked for multiple future meals, instead of roasting it. I still maintain that the traditional big ol' roasted turkey is about the least interesting thing to do with the poor bird. 

I didn't start doing turkey at home until my (American) second wife came along. She was a big fan of the traditional meal with all the traditional sides (except Brussels sprouts...she was a super-taster, and couldn't abide anything bitter). I'd never eaten green-bean casserole until she made it for me, either. I'm sure some families in Canada make it, but it's not as much of a "thing" here. I've lived in six provinces, and don't think I've ever seen it on anyone else's holiday spread. 

My current GF (second wife passed away unexpectedly a few years ago) is also a fan of the turkey, so that's what we did this weekend. 

I never was a fan of turkey until I made it sous vide.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Hopefully I didn't derail this into a Canadian thanksgiving discussion though. I just mentioned it here because the steak posts had me really wanting steak and it's something my, extremely picky when it comes to food, kid will always eat. Now I'm looking forward to that steak sandwich...

Nope.  I do not think you did any de-railing. I think we can wander a little farther afield so long as we leave those horrible things alone like politics, religion, and eggplant!  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

Hanky Panky!  What a great name for a cocktail!  Now all you need is for Kerry to be drinking a Hokey Pokey.

Just to brighten up your Monday morning:

Click

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_3395.jpg

Dinner for breakfast. Made up some porky gravy with the drippins' - warmed some thin slices of pork in it - reheated some roasted cauliflower. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

I never was a fan of turkey until I made it sous vide.

Okay, this I must investigate. I always brine my turkey for roasting but my mom is low sodium so she can't have brined turkey this year, so I was wondering what to do so we have turkey but not all dried out and gross. SV may be the way forward, although presentation would have to be different. Hm. I love this site. :D

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yay, Kerry has the night off!

41 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Andi's Dundee cake sans sliced almonds. One of the three things I plan to make for tomorrow.

Or not. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

bachon

I have no idea what this is.   But Id bet its pretty tasty

That would be bacon - damn you autocorrect!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

rats.

i thought it might be something New and So Much better  

perhaps from Montreal ?  a bit  Frenchy ?

Seriously, that's what I thought too!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/9/2016 at 2:53 PM, Shelby said:

Wooo Hooo!  Hanky Panky!

I think @gfron1 would have some ideas about what to do with the nettle and pine needle syrups.  Maybe he'll see this and stop over here.

I know what to do - send them to me :)

• Like 7

On October 9, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

So we found these at the Punjab Market in Hamilton and of course had to bring them with us. I have done a little research and so far the only thing I've come up with is a cocktail using the nettle syrup.  Their website is not especially helpful and neither is their free recipe book.  Anyone? Anyone? 

What does the nettle syrup taste like on its own? A bit minty maybe?

I'd try it instead of simple syrup in a Southside (and skip the mint). 2 oz gin, 1 oz lime juice, 3/4 syrup (maybe start with 1/2 and adjust based on taste); shake and double strain into coupes. 

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2