• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

image.jpeg

Breakfast may have been unduly influenced by my current reading matter. Two of Kerry's biscuits with some paper thin slices of roast pork shoulder. Not quite biscuits with sausage gravy but certainly calling on that Southern tradition. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It occurred to me as I carved paper thin slices from the remaining pork roast that I normally shun roasts of any kind.  They strike me as impractical for a singleton. And yet up here I am very happy to know there are leftovers in the refrigerator for a fast meal and the potential for some creative kitchen work. Perhaps I need to re-think the role of roasts in my life. And reading in the Dinner thread about inexpensive prime rib roasts…

Not sure what I will get up to today.   Kerry manages to put me to shame with all her baking and other productive activities. I am thinking I might roast the remaining frozen shrimp and stick them in the refrigerator so that I know Kerry has something good to eat if she gets stuck at the hospital for hours at a time.  She could eat them as is, toss them into a frittata or shrimp omelet or use them in some other way.   My mind is already on the fact that we have only a couple more days here and need to use up anything that will not travel well.  

Also in the freezer are some lovely scallops from Costco which we shall eat before we depart.  

I also intend to make another attempt at the Maslin loaf while I am here with all those local ingredients handy.  This time I shall try to keep a close watch on it so I don't run into the over-proofing issue. 

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I might make a sorbet with the pine shoots and needles syrup. What does that one taste like?

I know it must sound silly but we are reluctant to open them for a taste because then they need to be refrigerated and that poses a problem since we are almost finished our stay here for this season.  We may just leave them sealed until next summer when we have more time to experiment.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ahhh, this visit has been short, but certainly sweet thus far.  I always enjoy going along on these trips.  

Before we leave, I have to say that every time I see this thread, I read it as "Meowing in Manitoulin" - guess I have kittens on the brain xD!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ahhh, this visit has been short, but certainly sweet thus far.  I always enjoy going along on these trips.  

Before we leave, I have to say that every time I see this thread, I read it as "Meowing in Manitoulin" - guess I have kittens on the brain xD!

So do I. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Ina Garten's famous roasted shrimp. Don't you think you could pile into these after a hard days night saving lives? Or wiping snotty noses depending on who shows up in the emergency room!xD (Couldn't help myself. Been there, done that in a different capacity.)

The dough for the Maslin bread is also rising. I will be checking it every 30 minutes even during its bulk ferment to make sure it doesn't over proof.  Now to tackle some morning chores that are not food related.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I swear I was going to post the exact same thing about the meowing.  Every. Single. Time. I read this title my brain makes it meowing lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Ina Garten's famous roasted shrimp. Don't you think you could pile into these after a hard days night saving lives? Or wiping snotty noses depending on who shows up in the emergency room!xD (Couldn't help myself. Been there, done that in a different capacity.)

The dough for the Maslin bread is also rising. I will be checking it every 30 minutes even during its bulk ferment to make sure it doesn't over proof.  Now to tackle some morning chores that are not food related.

You're making me feel super lazy.  

And now I want more shrimp.

image.jpeg

The beets I roasted in the CSO a few days ago along with the remains of a rather sad orange that we had scavenged for cocktails.   The plate is sitting on a bowl of crème fraîche whisked with orange zest and orange juice which will work as a dressing when we are ready to eat these. 

Edited to add:. Kerry just sent me a text to say that the alligators were biting at her ankles meaning she will be at work for some time yet.  Though it causes me much pain I will try to handle it by curling up with a book for a few hours.xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

And just to add insult to injury I checked and the sun was over the yardarm so I poured myself a tall glass of white wine. Lest you think I am entirely too selfish, my motives included avoiding a ticket on the way home for having an open bottle of booze in the car. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it and please don't bother telling me that if it's in the trunk it would've been OK anyway.   Please feel free to live in the real world, I'm comfortable where I am.

:)

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

And just to add insult to injury I checked and the sun was over the yardarm so I poured myself a tall glass of white wine. Lest you think I am entirely too selfish, my motives included avoiding a ticket on the way home for having an open bottle of booze in the car. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it and please don't bother telling me that if it's in the trunk it would've been OK anyway.   Please feel free to live in the real world, I'm comfortable where I am.

:)

I think I'll join you over in your world.  I want to snuggle in with my new cookbook and a wine sounds like just the ticket to go with.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

.. and the sun was over the yardarm ...

In my world the sun is over the yardarm somewhere and that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I think I'll join you over in your world.  I want to snuggle in with my new cookbook and a wine sounds like just the ticket to go with.

Go slowly, oh so slowly with the book.  I have just finished it and feel bereft.  Stretch it out as long as you possibly can.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Even I feel sorry for you.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

If they felt REALLY sorry they would have given you Tetley's ;)

And made it properly in a tea pot!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The best laid plans of emergency room doctors and their useless side kicks oft go astray. The planned cocktail for me this evening required gin but the LCBO closed before the hospital released Kerry from bondage and being a non-driver (there is no car anyway!) I couldn't undertake the task. But no real complaints from me!  I love a negroni and was more than happy to finish up the aged one from Fibber McGee's closet. 

image.jpeg

Kerry is inhaling a real cup of tea. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Please describe how that shrimp was roasted.  I've never thought of roasting shrimp, but that looks well worth trying.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Please describe how that shrimp was roasted.  I've never thought of roasting shrimp, but that looks well worth trying.

Damn! This was my only cooking secret and I've had it close to my chest for so long and now you want me to reveal it? OK just for you. Peel and devein the shrimp, give them a salt bath by throwing a handful of coarse salt in with them and massaging them. Rinse them off and  toss them with salt pepper and some olive oil, toss them onto a baking sheet and shove them into a 400°F oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep a close watch on them. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg 

so while Kerry inhaled the shrimp, I enjoyed some more of the pork and the beet and orange salad. Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy but that's what happens when you have a cocktail on top of a glass of wine. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg 

so while Kerry inhaled the shrimp, I enjoyed some more of the pork and the beet and orange salad. Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy but that's what happens when you have a cocktail on top of a glass of wine. 

When I have a cocktail atop a glass of wine I usually spill both.  *Ba-dah BUMP*

Thank you sooo much for the shrimp secret!  It sounds wonderful, and simple, and I will be trying it soon.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Good morning. Early start today. Kerry was called in before 7 AM.   I was already awake and had finished my 1st cup of coffee in my room. My second attempt at the maslin loaf was only slightly more successful but I am beginning to believe that the result I am getting is the result I should get. I knew with the amount of rye, whole wheat and rolled oats to white flour would not result in a fluffy loaf of sandwich bread!   Just was not expecting anything quite this dense. I can slice it almost paperthin and that I consider to be a definite advantage under certain circumstances.   It would make a fine, sturdy base for danish open faced sandwiches.   And I quite enjoyed it as part of my breakfast this morning.   I cannot rest well knowing there is leftover roast beast of any kind in the refrigerator and so my breakfast this morning was thinly shaved pork roast on maslin bread. 

image.jpeg

Kerry's cultured butter was kind of lost on such a sandwich. 

Not sure what today might hold once Kerry escapes.  We came up here with lots of ambitious  projects only a few of which have been completed.  My mind has already turned southward even as I admire the view across the (empty) marina.  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog