• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3322.jpg

Not terribly happy with the results - a work in progress - need ideas.

Candy "sushi"? We've been known to do this by making rice krispy treats i a very thin layer (pressed between two silpats and half sheet pans), using a fruit roll-up as the "nori", and making liberal use of Swedish Fish.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

We were the fortunate beneficiaries of two fabulous well aged Cumbrae rib eye steaks! 3 hours in the bath and a quick brown on the little Egg. Could not be happier.

• Like 22

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

Yikes

[ed.: The word of the Week it seems ]

best looking and perfectly trimmed hunk of Cow Ive ever seen.  Im sure IT was single origin. !

money-mouth.gif

Pretty sure both steaks were from the same cow - so single origin indeed!

• Like 4

Now I want steak... and there isn't going to be anything even remotely as nice as that to be found around here. But it will still be better than no steak I suppose. ¬¬

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

BTW  looks perfectly cooked and plated.

nothing green insight.

Sometimes you don't want ANYTHING to distract from the main attraction!  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning!  Just finishing off my first coffee so I will try not to say or do any too dumb. I need at least 2 coffees to operate at full throttle.

Kerry is off again today. I know, what a life, eh?  Not sure what we might get up to. 

Last evening, after dinner, and after I had RTFM that came with the CSO, I decided to give the steam function another chance to prove its worth. I already had a plate of banana peppers stuffed with shrimp and pork in the refrigerator. The manual suggested that to steam vegetables they should be put directly on the rack over the supplied baking tray (not in a baking dish as I had done the day before). So this what I did and after 20 minutes at 210F the peppers were cooked and the filling was flavourful. 

image.jpeg

Kerry's portion with some hoisin sauce.  

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

We were the fortunate beneficiaries of two fabulous well aged Cumbrae rib eye steaks! 3 hours in the bath and a quick brown on the little Egg. Could not be happier.

Beneficiaries of not one but TWO Cumbrae steaks!?  Someone must like you two ladies a whole lot - Cumbrae's is easily my fav butcher in town. 

Thanks for the blog - much fun to follow along.

• Like 4

looking at this cut again and again I see a fantastic looking ' cap ' around the ' Eye ' with extraordinary marbling .

and then on the cut pic , th cap looks even better than the eye.

was the taste difference pronounced ?

• Like 1

I think most of what we got into last night was actually the cap not the eye. We only ate about half the steak - cause you know Anna needs leftovers! If I'm lucky I'll get some of those leftovers to try.

It was an extremely tender steak. 

• Like 3

On this rainy, cold and somewhat depressing Saturday we made our way to the NEMI (Northeast Manitoiulin Farmers' Market).   It is the final day of the market for this year and they had more fruits and vegetables then we saw all summer long!  

image.jpeg

We bought garlic, beets with very sad greens, late season tomatoes and were tempted but declined some squashes both winter and summer. 

We also hit the supermarket where I found a lovely pork shoulder roast and Kerry  picked up some oil and some frozen, concentrated fruit juice for further experiments which will be revealed later. 

The two bags of Lay's  potato chips I will post on the potato chip thread as well. 

I confess to being so hungry when we were in the supermarket that I couldn't get my mind around much else than a leftover steak sandwich with some horseradish mayo and consequently spent most of my time deciding what bread I would take home.  I am anxious to bake a couple of breads while I am here but it won't happen today so I settled on an ancient grains loaf. 

Kerry owns the kitchen today that she is off work and I know she has some ambitious plans.  Stay tuned. 

Edited to add:  we also dropped off the crostata morbida at the hospital after Kerry cut a piece for me to try. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Ahhh. Lunch!  Leftover steak, horseradish mayo on "ancient" grains bread with some tiny, flavourful tomatoes. 

While steak fresh off the BBQ is delicious I think I am even more enamoured of steak leftovers. 

Edited to change potatoes to tomatoes. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

as delicious a steak of that caliber might be hot off the grill , a properly constructed sandwich the next day has to also be memorable in a completely different way

and all the other components of the steak have to be of the first order

especially Fresh Bread.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I confess to being so hungry when we were in the supermarket that I couldn't get my mind around much else than a leftover steak sandwich with some horseradish mayo and consequently spent most of my time deciding what bread I would take home.

I'm not a big meat eater but when I have guests and pick up a tri-tip, I cross my fingers that there will be leftovers for sandwiches with horseradish mayo. Often my guests helpfully offer, "Oh, blue_dolphin, you don't eat meat, let's package this up for someone to take home.  That's when I need to jump in with, "Please let me wrap it up for you," assuring that at least some of it ends up in my fridge!

• Like 6

@blue_dolphin

I think I would be squirreling some away before serving it just to be sure. 

image.jpeg

An after lunch dessert is not really my style but had to at least try the crostata morbida. I thought it might be like the famous plum or summer torte but it is very different in both taste and texture. 

But I think I just might be the most spoiled brat on the planet. Kerry was working with some dark chocolate and with the leftovers dipped some crystalized ginger ... one of my all-time favourite snacks. Steaks, books from one benefactor and crystalized ginger (plus so much more) from another. My cup runneth over.  

image.jpeg

• Like 18

My 2004 eG Blog

With a steak like that, I'd be too hungry to think of anything but a fine sandwich no matter how much I'd already had to eat!  As to @blue_dolphin's point, I'm glad not to have guests who helpfully offer to take away my treasures like leftover tri-tip. Hospitality has its limits. :D

Oh, that ginger looks wonderful!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

I would love to be able to upload the video on the manufacture of the 'fish eggs' - the first one got deleted because my language was a little foul. There was some difficulty getting drops - lots of squirts - on the counter, on the floor, on the IR thermometer, into the oil...

• Like 13