• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

OH the drops look just like the real thing.

What are they made of, Kerry? And how do they taste?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

46 minutes ago, Smithy said:

What are they made of, Kerry? And how do they taste?

IMG_3344.jpg

1 can of this, 4 grams of agar, brought to a boil and 6 grams of gelatin rehydrated in about 25 grams of water added. Cool to 50º C then drip into cold oil. Strain out of the oil and wash off. They keep in the fridge or you can freeze them. 

They taste like tender little gummies!

Edited by Kerry Beal
realized I needed to answer a question that was asked (log)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

OH the drops look just like the real thing.

Yeah but the air in the townhouse is still blue and we could easily weather a small earthquake as everything is firmly glued to the counter with "caviar". 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3368.jpg

Here's what we did with the Amaretto - Amaretto Sour. Used some rich demerara syrup in place of a little simple.

I rarely drink liquor...I'mma wine girl.  But when I do, that is my favorite drink.  YUM.

• Like 2

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

@JohnT's Melktert - put it first in a springform - not a good idea - very liquid - poured right back out - so that half got move into a deep pie pan. 

Took much longer than expected to cook - not sure if the other one in the ceramic is even truly set - I cooked it 30 minutes longer than the thinner one - but I was able to turn it out. Very tasty!

• Like 7

I haven't done the oil caviar thing in a while but I seem to remember settling on a point somewhere between getting nice looking drops and not having it take all effing day to get them done.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

9 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I haven't done the oil caviar thing in a while but I seem to remember settling on a point somewhere between getting nice looking drops and not having it take all effing day to get them done.

Yeah - there were a few issues!

Do you make your own mint sauce? I have, a few times, but not often enough to have a set of ingredients without looking it up.  Mint, garlic, olive oil, salt? Perhaps a touch of parsley as well?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Do you make your own mint sauce? I have, a few times, but not often enough to have a set of ingredients without looking it up.  Mint, garlic, olive oil, salt? Perhaps a touch of parsley as well?

This one is purchase - Lounsbury I think.

When I make it it's malt vinegar, sugar, water and mint from Penzeys.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

This one is purchase - Lounsbury I think.

When I make it it's malt vinegar, sugar, water and mint from Penzeys.

I am almost with Kerry except to replace the dried mint with fresh.   I watched my Gran make it on an old and concave wooden block and she used something closely resembling an ulu knife to chop the mint which she sprinkled with sugar to aid in macerating the mint. The mint/sugar  was scooped up on the broad blade of the knife and put into a cut glass jar and then a little hot water was added before the malt vinegar. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am almost with Kerry except to replace the dried mint with fresh.   I watched my Gran make it on an old and concave wooden block and she used something closely resembling an ulu knife to chop the mint which she sprinkled with sugar to aid in macerating the mint. The mint/sugar  was scooped up on the broad blade of the knife and put into a cut glass jar and then a little hot water was added before the malt vinegar. 

My mother made it with fresh mint (I have as well) - but I was in Penzeys one day and with my nose buried in the mint jar all I could think of was mint sauce the smell was so evocative. I have the right kind of mint in my neighbours garden - but still use the dried now.

• Like 4

Shelby, I was sure I would never like mint sauce, based on that nasty green mint jelly I'd always been served with lamb in restaurants and dining halls. I'm not sure what got me to try making my own.  It may have been included with some lamb recipe I was determined to follow to the letter. It was a revelation.  I don't remember sugar and vinegar in mine; no doubt there's more than one version, but this too sounds good.  I too can recomment peas with mint sauce.  

• Like 3

My father used to grow mint for his sauce to complement his lamb roasts (actually it was mutton in those days). Very simple:-

15ml (1 T) caster sugar

125ml (1/2 cup) vinegar

60ml (1/4 cup) finely chopped mint leaves

Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar.

Add the chopped mint leaves and let stand in a warm place for half an hour.

Pour into a gravy boat and serve with roast mutton/lamb.

• Like 7

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Good morning. Another very, very slow start. Breakfast was nothing more than a banana and you know what they look like so there's no photograph. I really wanted to dive right in mixing up a bread dough this morning but my laundry was piling up and could no longer be deferred.  But I was determined to make some bread having just acquired yet another bread book ( I have no willpower whatsoever).   This is Slow Dough: Real Bread, a British cookbook containing recipes provided by bakers who are attempting to promote a return to nonindustrial bread. All the recipes call for long slow ferments and/or sourdough starters.  Quite a number of the recipes appealed to me but the one I have elected to attempt is the Maslin bread.  It calls for a mix of flours including  whole wheat, dark rye, bread flour and some rolled oats. Oh but the bread flour came from Loonsong Farm here on the island.  So the dough is now mixed up and beginning a ferment of 4 to 6 hours. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

LOL My under-caffeinated brain interpreted "Loonsong" as Asian, at first. Took a few minutes to parse it out. :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

LOL My under-caffeinated brain interpreted "Loonsong" as Asian, at first. Took a few minutes to parse it out. :P

Could be because I was dictating and it got smashed into one word! Is really Loon Song Farm.  Better? Oh wait. I just checked and it appears to be LoonSong!  www.loonsong.net. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3388.jpg

My lunch - took all the little fatty bits after and rendered them down - enjoying the crispy rendered bits now and have a few tablespoons of nice beef fat for use later.

• Like 10

Finally got around to churning the cream we had cultured - 

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

Ended up with two bowls of salted butter (Maldon salt) and almost a litre of gorgeous thick buttermilk.

• Like 20