• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Hmm... interesting. What's a "long time" for holding heat? The regular 30-35 minute thing is not going to work I'm assuming.

If you want an experience of adventure and discovery, then try tasting local cuisines in foreign lands with fresh, unbiased perspective.

Did you know that the spice cinnamon has various types? The one variety that is famous around the world is the one called Ceylon Cinnamon. And Ceylon is the ancient name for the country I'm from.

the 'baking vessel' has to heat up and stay hot - generally that means something thick - cast iron & ceramics are recommended.

you can't just put them on high-blast heat - cast iron may warp, ceramics crack.

heat them up slowly, then adjust the flame/heat to keep them hot.

there's a reason ovens were invented . . .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Why do you want to "bake" bread on top of the stove?  It won't work.

*smiles. I think I had a lot of flour on hand and so thought why not give it a try. - Or something like that.

• Like 1

If you want an experience of adventure and discovery, then try tasting local cuisines in foreign lands with fresh, unbiased perspective.

Did you know that the spice cinnamon has various types? The one variety that is famous around the world is the one called Ceylon Cinnamon. And Ceylon is the ancient name for the country I'm from.

Just a couple of late.  A pretty typical German bauernbrot, and a French Levain (an everyday one for us, recipe and process, the late French master baker, Gerard Rubaud).  The Bauernbrot is high in whole meal rye, but it is soft, moist ("saftig"), very aromatic due to the use of altbrot, just flour made from my leftover and dried dark rye breads.  Really helps the dough take in more hydration without becoming too slack.

bauernbrot - leicht angenecid - krume.jpg

bauernbrot - leicht angenecid.jpg

rubaud levain liquid rye crumb 8-3-24.jpg

rubaud levain liquid rye 8-3-24.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

• 3 weeks later...
This is the last of the four doughs made on September 2nd. So in the fridge for 7 days.
Never sure how these long cold fermentation doughs are going to turn out, so I am always pleasantly surprised.
I decided as I was dividing and shaping that I would fold some Kalamata olives and rosemary in one of the three.
LongerBaguettesDoughfromSeptember2ndbakedonSeptember9th2024.thumb.jpg.1e4b918350da47410f80f7daefb27872.jpg

Baked three longer baguettes.
OliveBaguettewithOldCheddarSeptember9th2024.thumb.jpg.0d5dd26819c66c2c22f7dd9590b999c7.jpg
Moe had slices of the olive baguette with some old cheddar.
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 3