• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

My three Aldi's are never far (two of three are across the street) from a Walmart, but all have recently remodeled and expanded.

One item where Aldi beats Walmart is paper plates.  That surprised me.  I thought that that was just the sort of thing Walmart couldn't be beat on.

4 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Aldi has a knock off Roomba coming up... with a dock

Oh yeah, and a Foodsaver knockoff for $30.  I already have a Foodsaver so I bought the bag material (which is advertised to work in any machine) for $4.99.  Haven't tried it yet.  But I'm worried that they won't keep it in stock.

Just now, IndyRob said:

Oh yeah, and a Foodsaver knockoff for $30.  I already have a Foodsaver so I bought the bag material (which is advertised to work in any machine) for $4.99.  Haven't tried it yet.  But I'm worried that they won't keep it in stock.

I bought the foodsaver 4 weeks ago

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:59 AM, Toliver said:

It's the same with the Aldi's here. They built it in the SAME SHOPPING CENTER as the Super Walmart. Aldi's must be staffed by corporate European idiots who think they know what they're doing and obviously don't.

This is no different to most locations I know in Germany, Belgium and France. Aldi's strategy is not to compete with supermarkets on a full level. They pick their products in a very clever way while at the same time piggy back on the infrastructure provided by the larger supermarkets/shopping centres that attracts customers to travel far in the first place.

And given the success the had so far, there must be something to it ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyRob said:

Does it work well?  Is the construction good?  I sort of wanted to buy it on principle, but it didn't make any sense to have second one.

I havent used it yet. Ziploc also has one too

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

15 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Nope, the Albrecht brothers split things up many years ago over a dispute over the sale of cigarettes.

Appreciate the info. Thanks.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 hours ago, IndyRob said:

My three Aldi's are never far (two of three are across the street) from a Walmart, but all have recently remodeled and expanded.

One item where Aldi beats Walmart is paper plates.  That surprised me.  I thought that that was just the sort of thing Walmart couldn't be beat on.

Walmart has good data people telling them what they can overcharge on.  You think they have low prices, so you'll buy things without actually checking.  Many places that advertise their low prices, or which have a reputation for having good prices, do the same thing. 

On 11/22/2017 at 5:31 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Within 4 miles we have Aldi, Tops, Jubilee, Weis and Walmart. There's also a Sam's Club.

Oops! I forgot Save-A-Lot

To Aldi's credit they do have EXCELLENT customer service.

I called the customer service 'hotline' in regard to issues I recently had with a couple products.

Via their 'Double Guarantee' I received a $12 gift card a few days later.

:)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 11/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, gfweb said:

The brand name foodsaver is pretty badly made anymore....

Do you mean the Foodsaver one or the Aldi one is bad? Don't know if they are the same ones here but my Aldi one works well enough

Edited by haresfur (log)

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

21 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Do you mean the Foodsaver one or the Aldi one is bad? Don't know if they are the same ones here but my Aldi one works well enough

They work well until they don't.

I mean the Foodsaver has been made so cheaply that they don't last very long. The big chains demand a low price and don't care that it doesn't last. I ran through three Foodsavers in about 10 yrs.

I have a piston pump vac sealer from Cabela's now. Its a horse.

21 hours ago, gfweb said:

They work well until they don't.

I mean the Foodsaver has been made so cheaply that they don't last very long. The big chains demand a low price and don't care that it doesn't last. I ran through three Foodsavers in about 10 yrs.

I have a piston pump vac sealer from Cabela's now. Its a horse.

I've had one for many years (more than five).  It did need a gasket replacement at one point (around $14), but it's working fine.

But at $40 I could get three of these things for the same price.

Then again, I've known ALDI to pull this sort of stuff in short order.  Usually that's fine if it's a casserole dish or something.  But if they sell these devices and no longer sell the bags, that's gonna be a problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was in my local Aldis today. Got lots of little yummy things today for a get together  tomorrow night, and the couple weeks ahead. . Brie, blue, camembert, goat cheese, lox, nice portion of smoked salmon, iberico pork, salami, prosciutto, ...and of course some regular groceries. I didn't make it by the frozen food coffin cases , but after we were back in the car on the way home, mama showed me a photo she had taken of boxes of macarons.  

So, 2 questions, Has anyone tried these and how were they?.   Do they hold up to freezing and thawing? Iv'e only recently tried one, from Laduree, a gift brought back from NY. I would like to serve some at an upcoming party, and prefer not to have this be the first time I make them.

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Didn't have the macarons at my Aldi this week (wish they had, I would have loved to try them), but I did pick up four of their spiral sliced hams on sale at $1.19 a pound -- three for the soup kitchen Christmas meal, and one for here at home. Those will get baked this coming week for Saturday. Noticed they had prime rib roasts for $6.99 a pound and started to get a couple for Christmas dinner, but passed; I can always go back, but I need to see what kind of roasts I have in the freezer. I think I have a sirloin tip roast I can SV.

A plentitude of fresh cranberries remain, at half the price of Kroger. Also picked up a package of what claims to be Iberico ham, at $6.99 for a six-ounce package.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I picked up a small ham, a "stewing hen" and some chicken leg pieces at Aldi this morning.  I checked out the eggs, that someone had mentioned were cheap. NOT CHEAP HERE. the "large" eggs were quite small and 1.86 a dozen.  They had little selection in the dairy.  only pints of heavy cream and way more expensive than Walmart. The only eggnog they had was Knudsen, which is crap.  

I bought a huge loaf of round bread, which is pretty good but their "sandwich" bread is that soft stuff. Other breads had short expiry dates.  It's the 16th and every bread I looked at, except the one I bought was dated today.

I needed some ginger but all they had was tiny stuff and I need the big pieces.

I was going to buy some short ribs but they were $6.99 a pound and I can get them for half that at Stater brothers across the street.  

Their tomatoes looked awful so I passed on them.  

I doubt I will waste my time there again.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

19 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I picked up a small ham, a "stewing hen" and some chicken leg pieces at Aldi this morning.  I checked out the eggs, that someone had mentioned were cheap. NOT CHEAP HERE. the "large" eggs were quite small and 1.86 a dozen.  They had little selection in the dairy.  only pints of heavy cream and way more expensive than Walmart. The only eggnog they had was Knudsen, which is crap.  

I bought a huge loaf of round bread, which is pretty good but their "sandwich" bread is that soft stuff. Other breads had short expiry dates.  It's the 16th and every bread I looked at, except the one I bought was dated today.

I needed some ginger but all they had was tiny stuff and I need the big pieces.

I was going to buy some short ribs but they were $6.99 a pound and I can get them for half that at Stater brothers across the street.  

Their tomatoes looked awful so I passed on them.  

I doubt I will waste my time there again.

Eggs and dairy are surely a regional thing.  Timing as well.   People upthread have complained that the price of heavy cream (for instance) had gone up.  But not at my ALDIs at the same time.  Then again, I just passed on butter for 2.99 after seeing it cheaper elsewhere.  But today they advertised it at 2.39.

Milk prices vary the most between my ALDIs less than 10 miles apart.  But they almost always beat Walmart prices. and usually blow them away.  I think milk and eggs may be their only loss-leaders.

That said, I complained earlier in the thread about finding some small yolks in ALDI eggs.  But not recently, and I've been getting them for $1 less than your quoted price.

My favorite thing to do at ALDI is to buy  a gallon of milk, often for less than a dollar, and turn it into $5-$7 worth of ricotta (at Walmart prices).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IndyRob said:

Eggs and dairy are surely a regional thing.  Timing as well.   People upthread have complained that the price of heavy cream (for instance) had gone up.  But not at my ALDIs at the same time.  Then again, I just passed on butter for 2.99 after seeing it cheaper elsewhere.  But today they advertised it at 2.39.

Milk prices vary the most between my ALDIs less than 10 miles apart.  But they almost always beat Walmart prices. and usually blow them away.  I think milk and eggs may be their only loss-leaders.

That said, I complained earlier in the thread about finding some small yolks in ALDI eggs.  But not recently, and I've been getting them for $1 less than your quoted price.

My favorite thing to do at ALDI is to buy  a gallon of milk, often for less than a dollar, and turn it into $5-$7 worth of ricotta (at Walmart prices).

A gallon of "store brand" milk is 2.78.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

In recent weeks, I have cooked 3 Appleton Farms hams from Aldi. One just to try it out, one for the Deb's truck shop Christmas luncheon, and one for Christmas brunch at Deb's daughter's. I have been quite pleased with them. The butt portion hams have recently been on sale for 89 cents a pound and today I noticed $3 additional off so I bought 2 for a total of about $5 each.

HC

• Like 3