• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I saw this vid on YouTube and noticed a glaring error...

"So if your bagboy seems stressed out, don't worry, it's not your fault."

Well, it might be a little bit your fault.  You apparently missed the entrance to ALDI and wandered into a store with bagboys.

But thanks for Googling up some facts about ALDI, Mashed. ;)

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 3

On 27/10/2016 at 8:02 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm still buying heavy cream at Aldi.

I bought 12 pints yesterday.

Still $1.69 per pint.

Still packed by Byrne Dairy/Ultra Dairy (Plant #36-8580.) 

I also bought two pounds of Kerrygold Butter at $2.99 per 8 ounce package.

That's $1.00 per pound less than Wegman's price.

Unfortunately, there's no sign of Kerrygold Dubliner and other cheeses yet this season. :(

Edited to add: SO asked me to bake date-nut bread so I picked up some chopped dates at Aldi — I didn't try the bread, but SO loved it.

Is the cream ultra pasteurized?  (I'm going to Ogdensburg tomorrow and plan on hitting up Aldi's and Price Chopper so thought I'd ask.  Its also why I'm re-reading this thread, to see what is being recommended.)

45 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Is the cream ultra pasteurized?  (I'm going to Ogdensburg tomorrow and plan on hitting up Aldi's and Price Chopper so thought I'd ask.  Its also why I'm re-reading this thread, to see what is being recommended.)

Yes, most commercial cream is now ultra-pasteurized.

And the price is up to $1.99 per pint now. :wacko:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

16 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I buy all my milk, half-and-half, heavy cream and butter at Aldi; 25 percent or more cheaper than Kroger. I also buy a fair number of sausages (got the beer brats @HungryChris and @rotuts were discussing, last time I was in, but haven't cooked them yet), and they often have proscuitto at a good price. Also, Chris, I picked up one of the panino (paninos?) you mentioned with the proscuitto and mozzarella; it makes a fine grilled cheese sandwich!

I've also bought frozen ahi tuna and frozen salmon there. Produce is often less expensive than other groceries, and there's a decent variety.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I just happened to be fairly near ALDI so I thought id stock up on a few regular items

Stadium Brats   wanted 8 packs for the freezer , they had 3

8 of the dark chocolate w hazelnuts , they had none

O.o

spotted this , might as well try i I though t:

59e7740b38b52_AlsiMW.thumb.jpg.0e409ebfe8ec775ada1b8f187708fa56.jpg

cloned Miracle Whip ?  $ 1.87

this ALDI could be much better stocked I think.

no beer bratts from Germany

:sad:

Unfortunately, I've found that most of the sausages are damn expensive and loaded with sugar, IMHO. :(

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

and sa quick P.S;

I did spot the Brie and got one

to ' home age '

59e79184f0b78_ABrie.thumb.jpg.71de2358a574e50d664e75c34e2c47aa.jpg

Tj's has some excellent Brie/camembert that's ' a bit ooze '

that I get and Home Age

nice    stinky  after the aging

for Toasties !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Stadium Brats :  66 grams   2 grams sugars

can't how that compares w others

Many brats have zero sugar.

I need to get back to making my own.

BTW: One tsp. of sugar weighs ~5 grams.

2 grams of sugar is a lot for those of us who are simple-carbohydrate intolerant or following a low-carb or ketogenic diet, or lifestyle.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yes, most commercial cream is now ultra-pasteurized.

And the price is up to $1.99 per pint now. :wacko:

Byrne Dairy, which is local to the CNY area and makes the Aldi cream that @DiggingDogFarm found, does both ultra-pasteurized and non-UP. When I need cream, I usually buy directly from a Byrne Dairy store, and get the non-UP (with the much much shorter use-by date).

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

I just happened to be fairly near ALDI so I thought id stock up on a few regular items

Stadium Brats   wanted 8 packs for the freezer , they had 3

8 of the dark chocolate w hazelnuts , they had none

O.o

spotted this , might as well try i I though t:

59e7740b38b52_AlsiMW.thumb.jpg.0e409ebfe8ec775ada1b8f187708fa56.jpg

cloned Miracle Whip ?  $ 1.87

this ALDI could be much better stocked I think.

no beer bratts from Germany

:sad:

Oh dear, @rotuts. Have you gone over to the Dark Side???

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

and sa quick P.S;

I did spot the Brie and got one

to ' home age '

59e79184f0b78_ABrie.thumb.jpg.71de2358a574e50d664e75c34e2c47aa.jpg

Tj's has some excellent Brie/camembert that's ' a bit ooze '

that I get and Home Age

nice    stinky  after the aging

for Toasties !

I've got one of those rounds of Brie, as well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

9 hours ago, kayb said:

Also, Chris, I picked up one of the panino (paninos?) you mentioned with the proscuitto and mozzarella; it makes a fine grilled cheese sandwich!

@kayb, while I mentioned that I thought the panino was a bit salty, it did not stop me from buying another!

HC

55 minutes ago, rotuts said:

this brie , BTW is the kind that is not ' Runny '

:/

they tend not to be as good   and don't age well

might be fine ' baked '

I bring it out of the fridge a day before use, and warm it in the mike when I am ready to use it. It's not the runny kind, like you say, but I think it's quite good nonetheless.

HC

13 hours ago, HungryChris said:

@kayb, while I mentioned that I thought the panino was a bit salty, it did not stop me from buying another!

HC

Just FYI. you can line up four slices on a couple of slices of bread and make a fine grilled cheese and proscuitto sandwich. I added a slice of butterkase to mine for good measure.

Don't ask. Eat it.

the cheese doesn't taste bad , in anyway.     

it just doesn't ripen well

and some of the ones at Tj's  

( if you are a CheezeHead and pay attention to this )

do.  some don't.  you can tell if the Tranche ' bulges '     get the tranche that bulges the most !

three days on the shelf :

Cz.thumb.jpg.52368764f34c7b31e596d16483b9571f.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/18/2017 at 2:07 PM, MelissaH said:

Byrne Dairy, which is local to the CNY area and makes the Aldi cream that @DiggingDogFarm found, does both ultra-pasteurized and non-UP. When I need cream, I usually buy directly from a Byrne Dairy store, and get the non-UP (with the much much shorter use-by date).

And definitely pricey!

ByrneCreamEdited.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We now have an ALDI here in Lancaster!  The Grand Opening is tomorrow, Thursday, November 16

2014 E. Avenue J,

I received a large card in the mail with a $5.00 off coupon with a $25.00 minimum purchase good from November 16 to December 31, 2017.

It says, "Switch to Aldi Exclusive Brands and save up to 50% on groceries."

They included a notice that one will have to deposit a quarter to use a shopping cart and a quarter will be returned with the cart is returned.

There are a lot of goodies for the FIRST 100 customers  but I won't be included in that bunch. I have been to grand openings before and will wait a few days before I venture into the store.

One has to pack one's own groceries. "That keeps lines moving and saves you money."  Perhaps they are unfamiliar with disabled people and the difficulty of lifting and moving things quickly.

Frankly, I have seen Trader Joe's checkers take things from carts, scan and bag them far more rapidly than at any other store.  

I have shopped at Winco, where one bags their own groceries and I can attest to the fact that it is a hell of a lot slower than at other stores where the checkers bag everything with customer's bags.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

xD

"Switch to Aldi Exclusive Brands and save up to 50% on groceries."

That's non-sense.

Wegmans beats Aldi on several products I regularly buy.

Too bad the quality of Aldi's products is generally low–I only buy a few products there.

Check-out is extremely rapid because there is no bagging!!!

35 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

...One has to pack one's own groceries. "That keeps lines moving and saves you money."  Perhaps they are unfamiliar with disabled people and the difficulty of lifting and moving things quickly.

Frankly, I have seen Trader Joe's checkers take things from carts, scan and bag them far more rapidly than at any other store.  

I have shopped at Winco, where one bags their own groceries and I can attest to the fact that it is a hell of a lot slower than at other stores where the checkers bag everything with customer's bags.  

24 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

...Check-out is extremely rapid because there is no bagging!!!

At the Aldi where I originally shopped, when you check out they just put everything back in your cart after it is scanned. Then off to the side is an area with a large shelf where you are supposed to bag the groceries in your cart. You're out of the way so if it takes a long time, it won't impact the check-out lines.

It's a bit of a PITA to bag your own groceries, take the cart to your vehicle and put your groceries inside and then take the cart back to the front of the store so you can get your quarter back. Their carts are "linked" by a small chain to the cart in front of it. When you insert your quarter,in the shopping cart handle, this releases the chain link and allows you to take your cart and enter the store.

If you're lucky someone will have left a cart in the parking lot near your car and you can push your cart into it, reconnect the "umbilical" chain to the other cart and out should pop your quarter. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 minutes ago, Toliver said:

At the Aldi where I originally shopped, when you check out they just put everything back in your cart after it is scanned. Then off to the side is an area with a large shelf where you are supposed to bag the groceries in your cart. You're out of the way so if it takes a long time, it won't impact the check-out lines.

It's a bit of a PITA to bag your own groceries, take the cart to your vehicle and put your groceries inside and then take the cart back to the front of the store so you can get your quarter back. Their carts are "linked" by a small chain to the cart in front of it. When you insert your quarter,in the shopping cart handle, this releases the chain link and allows you to take your cart and enter the store.

If you're lucky someone will have left a cart in the parking lot near your car and you can push your cart into it, reconnect the "umbilical" chain to the other cart and out should pop your quarter.

Yes.