• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

On 11/21/2017 at 6:59 AM, andiesenji said:

I shopped at Aldi yesterday.  They have very nice produce.  I bought some ENVY apples that have not shown up in other stores yet. This variety was developed in New Zealand bur these were grown in California and are from this year''s crop.

If you haven't yet tried them, do so.  They have the flavor that apples used to have.  I can't tell you how many times I have tried the "big name" apples (honeycrisp, gala, fuji, pink lady etc) and been disappointed because they did not taste anything like a REAL apple.  They have bred them to be survivors in long-term storage and bred the flavor out of them.

These are also HUGE! 

@andiesenji Thanks for recommending Envy apples. I found them in my local Vons grocery store. They're wonderful!

I usually stay away from red apples because I found too many were mushy/mealy. The Envy apples are anything but mushy/mealy. They have a wonderful sweet flavor and are amazingly crisp. As I was eating one, I though it may have been as crisp as an Asian Pear. I have a new appreciation for red apples since trying the Envy.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

10 hours ago, Toliver said:

@andiesenji Thanks for recommending Envy apples. I found them in my local Vons grocery store. They're wonderful!

I usually stay away from red apples because I found too many were mushy/mealy. The Envy apples are anything but mushy/mealy. They have a wonderful sweet flavor and are amazingly crisp. As I was eating one, I though it may have been as crisp as an Asian Pear. I have a new appreciation for red apples since trying the Envy.

Thanks again!

Envys are excellent if you crave sweet and crisp.  One of my favorites 

• Like 2

Just got back from Aldis and totally forgot to look for these apples.  I did buy a lot of post holiday items, chocolates (gold and silver coins , for a Harry Potter party)  marzipan/dark chocolate covered logs, marzipan stollen , truffles,  holiday sprinkles for next season... for an absolute steal,  25c each,  and my stepdad's favorite, Queen Anne cherry cordial for 10c a box.  A good $75 worth of products at a  regular retail grocery for maybe $5-$6. Now I need to make room in the freezer for the 5 stollen!

• Like 6

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

I'll look for those. I try not  to linger in the chip/cracker section as it is too tempting.

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 2 months later...

We stopped at Aldi last Wednesday to pick up a couple things.

I was surprised to see that the price of the 8 ounce brie dropped 20 cents — from $2.99 down to $2.79.

Unfortunately, the price of heavy cream is still jacked up — $1.98 per pint.

Walmart currently has the best deal on heavy cream — $3.12 per quartshock2.gif

Same packer.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 minute ago, kayb said:

But then I'd have to go to Walmart. Worth the extra 40 cents a pint not to have to do that.

The housemate works at Walmart.

He picks it up for me. :smile:

Picked up 3 quarts yesterday.

$1.98 x 6= $11.88

$3.12 x 3= $9.36

Savings,  $2.52

Quite a savings.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The housemate works at Walmart.

He picks it up for me. :smile:

Picked up 3 quarts yesterday.

$1.98 x 6= $11.88

$3.12 x 3= $9.36

Savings,  $2.52

Quite a savings.

I don't use that much heavy cream. Half and half is another story. A quart at Aldi is $1.98. The only time I see it that low is at Kroger when it's marked down because it's so close ot its sell-by date. And butter is $2.99 a pound; can't beat that anywhere else in town. I buy it five pounds at the time and put it in the freezer.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I eat low-carbohydrate, high-fat, moderate-protein most of the time—I use a lot of heavy cream.

Nothing but heavy cream in my coffee or tea, please. Dairy background. :D

Yesterday I made bacon gravy with cream.

Couple days ago I made cream of salmon soup.

Etc., etc., etc.

• Like 4

My GF is keto-ing, so cream is a similar story here. Except a litre (quart) costs $5.79 at Superstore or $6.49 at Sobey's (Superstore is across town and Sobey's is two blocks downhill, so I'll often opt to pay the extra $0.70). 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...

In my experience they'll operate like that for a bit, but then close for about a month to finish.

But when they do open again they'll send out 25% off $40 or more coupons.  25% off ALDI prices is gold.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just went to Aldi yesterday for the first time ever!  It's a new one- less than a year old.  I'd have gone sooner, but the closest one is 3 hours away.   I didn't drive three hours just to grocery shop, though.....The oldest son (and wife +3 of our grandkids) lives near there, so we went to hear him preach, then celebrate the youngest grandchild's 1st birthday.  It was all a surprise for him.  But we had a lovely time, and there was lots of time to spare. So after the birthday lunch, we drove 20 mins into Escanaba, hit Menards (where I tore my pinky toe's nail off with the cart :angry:), GFS for turkey bacon, then Aldi- which I was just dying to check out!  

Maybe because its a new one, there were no off-putting things about it.  The lighting was fine, very very clean, well organized, didn't smell at all. So hubby, kid#5, and I zipped through. I found the sourdough bread price quite low, prices on sweet cherries to be excellent when compared with our local grocers; potatoes - good price, GF cereal for kid #4- GREAT price, nacho chips and con queso dip- unbelievably inexpensive next to Walmart.  Same stuff, $4.98 at Wallyworld.  $1.89 at Aldi.   Same brand of nacho chips that were ON SALE at our local store for $3.99 were $1.79 at Aldi.  I picked a wide range of our commonly used products to try, and calculated savings, item by item, to be a little over $59.   Because we had a 3 hour trip home, and not a lot of space in the cooler, I had to forgo trying the butter and most dairy products. Those I will get on another trip. 

Hubby was pretty impressed with the pricing after I went through and explained what these items normally cost at Walmart and the local store. He said if I'd make a list, he'd pick up items when he travels to one of his hotel locations- weekly, as there is an Aldi about 2 blocks away.  So.  I just need to make a list.  Saves me time, saves him $$, and he gets his kettle chips for $1.79, instead of $3- $4/bag.  

I am hoping we will get an Aldi someday up here, but for now, I'm pretty happy with this arrangement.  We are going to get a Meijer store here next year, (they've purchased the land already), so that may draw in Aldi's.  

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I really enjoy having an Aldi nearby. Dairy products are much cheaper. I've found good meat, the minimal amount of meat I buy at the grocery, that is, there. Good cold cuts. Good cheese assortment, for not having a deli. Cereal and snack foods cheaper than Kroger. Flour, sugar and vegetable oil consistently cheaper. Frozen orange juice concentrate usually cheaper, except for one week when it unaccountably spiked. On the other hand, things like cake mix you have to watch; it was $1.59, and I can get them all day at Kroger for $1.  And obviously, they don't have the variety Kroger has, but they get about half my grocery dollar every week.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

@kayb  Thanks for the input on the cheeses and other things.  I didn't spend too much time examining everything- but its good to know. I was just trying to find the things that get gobbled up quickly here.  Since we raise our own grass fed beef, I don't worry about meats too much.   We also have a bulk food store right by our farm, so, I hit that up for staples like flour, sugar, spices, pasta, rice, beans and oatmeal.   

Have you tried the Aldi's brand coffee?  I was intrigued with the price, but not sure if its going to be up to par. I'd love to get feedback about that. I'm a java-junkie. (Blood type: Maxwell House.)   

thank you again!!! 

• Like 1

-Andrea

2 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

@kayb  Thanks for the input on the cheeses and other things.  I didn't spend too much time examining everything- but its good to know. I was just trying to find the things that get gobbled up quickly here.  Since we raise our own grass fed beef, I don't worry about meats too much.   We also have a bulk food store right by our farm, so, I hit that up for staples like flour, sugar, spices, pasta, rice, beans and oatmeal.   

Have you tried the Aldi's brand coffee?  I was intrigued with the price, but not sure if its going to be up to par. I'd love to get feedback about that. I'm a java-junkie. (Blood type: Maxwell House.)   

thank you again!!! 

I have not tried their coffee. I order my coffee beans from Dallas, and if I let myself run out, I usually buy the Dunkin' Donuts brand in the grocery, so I'm not a good judge of supermarket coffee.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

FWIW....Couldn't wait until my Cameron's Intense French Roast coffee was gone, so I opened this and made a pot. For $3.97, its not bad at all. I'll give it about a B/B+.  Given the way I go through coffee, especially in the fall and winter, its a great find.  

IMG_2956.JPG

• Like 3

-Andrea

On 11/25/2017 at 2:19 PM, gfweb said:

They work well until they don't.

I mean the Foodsaver has been made so cheaply that they don't last very long. The big chains demand a low price and don't care that it doesn't last. I ran through three Foodsavers in about 10 yrs.

I have a piston pump vac sealer from Cabela's now. Its a horse.

Yeah, kind of. I must have jinxed my Aldi one because it stopped pulling enough vacuum. So I bought a new one from them (still way cheaper than a foodsaver). Decided to give the old one a last try. It worked fine.

I don't shop at Cabela's anymore. I bought camo sheets and a camo nightie for my DB... She disappeared. (joke - we don't have Cabela's here).

• Haha 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 weeks later...