• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

I live in perhaps the only college town in the nation that is dry (well, at least as package sales are concerned; we have a gracious plenty of "private clubs" with liquor by the drink). Thus, one goes to the county immediately to the north (if one is up in that direction); to the southeast (the "cheap" liquor store; I buy Balvenie Scotch for $38.99 for 750 ml) or to the southwest (the "good" liquor store, where they have a really good array of craft beer and a semi-decent selection of wine). Or, if I'm in serious search of GOOD wine, I go to Memphis, an hour away, to the primo wine store.

Work travel took me across the state line into Missouri yesterday, so I stopped by the Aldi up there to check out wine and beer. Picked up a hard cider I've never seen before, a couple of bottles of prosecco (mimosas, anyone?), and some wines I'd never heard of, either. Good prices, if the wine is any good.

Edited by kayb
close parentheses. (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Made a quick stop at Aldi this morning. Here is what I returned with.

IMG_0378.JPG

Both conspicuous and disappointing by their absence are the three wheels of Brie I intended to buy, but could not locate. I do hope that is simply a temporary setback.

HC

Brie.jpg

• Like 2

@HungryChris 

what do you do with whole wheels of brie ?

TJ's have several sliced Brie    maybe I used to be a Brie / Camembert Head   ( or any FR  trample creamy cheese )

Im happy know with the TJ's trance's that are on the oozy side which I ' self-age ' at home

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris 

These are only 1/2 lb wheels. I like to take them out of the fridge in the morning and have them with apples or pears or on the rosemary and olive oil cracker from there after they have ripened up a bit. It's really good stuff and just about $3 each.

HC.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris 

TJ's have several sliced Brie    maybe I used to be a Brie / Camembert Head   ( or any FR  trample creamy cheese )

Im happy know with the TJ's trance's that are on the oozy side which I ' self-age ' at home

Rotuts Aldi sells small rounds of Brie

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 weeks later...

Remember my post from earlier this year? "But the reason for my post: Before Christmas while walking down the non-food section, I found a blender. Called the Ambiano Professional Blender, it looked identical to my Vitamix. Since I had already purchased a $500+ Vitamix, I encouraged Mom to try this model at the $79 price tag. If it under produced as I thought it would we would return it. Out of the box, it looked and felt identical to my Vitamix, tamper and all. I am quite certain my pitcher would fit on this base, although I haven't tested it. Performance? Side by side nearly, mostly exactly, Vitamix quality. We tested it on everything - hot soup, smoothies, frozen. Seventy Nine Bucks."

This blender appears in the November 30 flyer. Priced now at $69. Mom's is still going strong a year later. I can tell you my Vitamix canister won't fit on the Ambiano base. Hie thee to your local Aldi's on Wednesday!

• Like 1

Just looked up their circular and you're right.  It looks exactly like a vitamix 5200.  I will be on the hunt for one as a gift to at least one of my kids and maybe me too just as a back up should my 5200 crap out.  I'm known to push it to the limit 

• Like 1

There's even a creepy video. xD

Ambiano Professional Blender

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I was at Aldi picking up a few $2.99 pp chuck roasts for the freezer today and saw a $60 air fryer by the same company with a similar video.

https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/home-goods/ambiano/Air Fryer/

HC

Although I haven't purchased any other appliances, I've looked at them. I've seen a small stand mixer as well. And I may recall a pressure cooker.

On October 21, 2016 at 3:54 PM, rotuts said:

I find it very odd that there seem to be several ' tiers ' of stores  :  older dimly lit, perhaps not so clean    and newer ones that are fine.

its not clear to me if they franchise   

if they don't  Id think they would update oder stores,

They are doing just that here. Our Aldi is old - at least 30 years old - dark and smelly. They have announced plans to build a new, larger store on land immediately adjacent to the old one. I believe the plan is then to either sell or lease the old store or tear it down. It is not clear to me why they do not simply remodel and enlarge the present store but that doesn't seem to be the way things are done anymore. A couple of years ago both Walmart and McDonald's tore down their stores and built new ones just down the road from the old sites. 

Anyway, after reading this thread, I have hopes that the new Aldi will be an improvement. 

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

3 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

It is not clear to me why they do not simply remodel and enlarge the present store but that doesn't seem to be the way things are done anymore.

I suppose they have their demographic centered reasons that only they understand.

A few years ago they closed the old Aldi's in Horseheads and built a new one close to Walmart — which is also a newer, larger replacement store.

At the same time they added a new Aldi on the south side of Elmira opposite a Tops.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 11/7/2016 at 1:15 PM, HungryChris said:

Made a quick stop at Aldi this morning. Here is what I returned with...

Were the eggs satisfactory?  Some I had bought before had very small yolks.

But I was there today and the eggs were 29¢/dz(!).

Just picked up 2 of these Aldi Blenders.   The jar fits on my VM base and works but the Aldi base has a safety feature where the jar has a pin that depresses a switch on the base so my VM jar will not trigger the base to work.   

Certainly a cheaper build, but close to 90% less than a VitaMix it's a no brainer 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Just picked up 2 of these Aldi Blenders.   The jar fits on my VM base and works but the Aldi base has a safety feature where the jar has a pin that depresses a switch on the base so my VM jar will not trigger the base to work.   

Certainly a cheaper build, but close to 90% less than a VitaMix it's a no brainer 

Glad you got them!

• Like 2

I picked up a couple of skirt steaks labeled plate skirt steak but based on its width, total lack of tenderness and price of $5.49/lb I'm inclined to conclude its inside skirt.  It had a fair amount of fat on one side and I didn't notice a  membrane but the next one I open will be inspected very carefully for any membrane. This last one was marinaded, cooked medium to med/rare, cut across the grain and as tender as shoe leather 

• Like 2

I have to post an addendum to my previous post above.   I opened up the second skirt steak from Aldi and under the fat I did find a considerable amount of thick connective tissue.   I did a meticulous job of cleaning it and also removing the cellophane type tissue on the meat but a lot of that also ran through the meat fibers and I wasn't going to tear it up to try to remove that.  

Will  see how this second one turns out before passing final judgement 

• 2 weeks later...