• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

On 7/25/2016 at 0:21 PM, rotuts said:

@DianaB  

thank you for the vid.

out of curiosity, how do wine prices compare at Aldi vs any other large retailer in your area ?

do they have their own labels  ( TJ's does ) ?

is their selection  " reasonable "  i.e. you can find a decent table wine  there fairly priced  and maybe wines a bit better for simple girds ?

probably not to many Latour '49 's

do they sell distilled sprints ?  if so , how do their prices compare ?

thanks

My Aldi does not sell wine or spirits (no such in grocery stores in AR), but I live about 50 miles from an Aldi in a Missouri town that stocks a reasonably good Prosecco for about $5 a bottle. I stop through when I'm traveling (it's on my route "up home"), and will make a special trip if I'm going to be doing a brunch that calls for lots of mimosas!

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Porthos  

Im very much a ZinHead

back in the day, Ridge / lytton springs / Ravenswood  < 10 a bottle

aged in the basement.

the last few bottle were 20 + years old.

I was unable to continue this

but it was the very best investment ive ever made

started in 1975   a carefully selected case here, 2 there  etc.

food to match !

My current evening glass, unless it's something specifically paired to a meal, is Bota Box Old Vine Zin. Pretty doggoned good for really cheap wine (works out to something less than $4 a 750-ml bottle). I like Gnarly Head, as well.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ive looked at those BotaBox's

as i recall Tj's might no carry them.

I like dry, no oak.  if "" fruit ""  is in the description, it should suggest Grapes , not so much raspberries , cherries , mango's

what do you think ?

• Like 1

Grapes out front, certainly, but I'm good with a bit of raspberry or cherry. No oak taste in the BB. Nice "big" taste, typical of a Zin. Lord, I love 'em.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Just looked at Aldi's grocery ad that I got in the mail yesterday...Crimson Roots Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel 9.99.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 7/20/2016 at 0:16 PM, HungryChris said:

I went to my local Aldi this morning. I got 2 pkg of baby backs @ $1.99 pp, a watermelon, @$3.49 each and a few other items. But... they now have a permit application for selling beer and wine posted, which caught my attention. I was just wondering if they stock any interesting items in that category. Burman beer, perhaps?

HC

My Aldi in Wisconsin does indeed have beer and wine. About a year ago, they started stocking New Glarus Brewery Spotted Cow. Because Wisconsin :)

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

i was dangerously low on Hellman's.  about 1/3'd of a jar in the fridge   One of the local MegaloMarts did not have its fall $ 1.99 Hellman's sale

so I took the opportunity to go to Aldi's

Nice fall day , not too hot not too cold.   very little traffic on the two lane road there.  no trucks in front me me.  decided to try a few other things :

Aldi Mayo +.jpg

some imported chocolate , jams , brats  ( mentioned in the Tj's thread I think ) mustard and buns.

brats were nice  ( pic to follow in the Lunch thread ) and the mustard seemed identical to TJ's

I won't go there for these things , but when re-supplying Mayo  Ill stock up.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

As noted earlier in this topic, there seems to be a huge spread in quality from store to store, and I guess we got one on the low end.  I finally got around to checking out the Aldi that opened in our area earlier this year.  The cheapo dehydrators were long gone, somewhat to my relief. 9_9 Nothing looked inviting to me.  There were no bargains on familiar products or brands, and no quirky interesting novelties to pursue. With numerous lovely mid-quality grocery stores, two excellent whole-foods coops (member owned, not the chain) and a high-end grocery store in our area, I don't plan to go back to this Aldi.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

fair enough.

then there is the Mayo.   1.87   24 / 7

Oh, I think it's great if you have a good store with good deals - and I'm glad you seem to. While scrolling back up to see if you'd commented on that mayo brand before (have you? I didn't review the entire topic) I spotted the wine discussion.  I didn't notice wine or beer at that store.  It's in Wisconsin, so they might carry it.  Maybe I'll stroll back in and check it again.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The Choceur brand sea salt caramel almonds are worth me making a special trip to Aldi. I'm pretty sure those things are immoral and likely illegal in some states.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

the Bermmans Aldi mayo is as close to Hellman's as you can get w/o a suit.

it a little looser in constancy  but not by much at all.

you only notice this if you taste both side by side.

once you add the mayo to anything its essentially the same.

That's why I went :   no fall sale on Hellmans for 1.99   I get 6 at a time as the one store had an early spring sale then an early fall sale on the Hellman's

Hellman's can go as high as 4.45 - 4.95 in my area.

sometime 3.99   rare at 2.99

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

There were no bargains on familiar products or brands, and no quirky interesting novelties to pursue. 

I think that was my reaction on the first visit as well, but once you try some of the items you discover that many of them are quite good and do represent good bargains.

Here are a few examples. At first, I was getting their Savoritz brand imitation Triscuits and thought they were great, but soon tried the rosemary & olive oil and loved it. I have never seen that flavor Triscuit. The Happy Farms Cheeses and Friendly Farms milk and cream are a good bargain too

I was going to mention the hamburg and hot dog rolls at 89 cents to you, rotuts ,but I see you got them.

HC

IMG_0223.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement, folks.  Maybe I'll try again.

I find it very odd that there seem to be several ' tiers ' of stores  :  older dimly lit, perhaps not so clean    and newer ones that are fine.

its not clear to me if they franchise   

if they don't  Id think they would update oder stores,

the chocolate I bought is very good.   

I don't have a sweet tooth so much .....

but high end european chocolate .....

I can eat it faster than they can make it.

I knew I should not have gotten those bars.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I find it very odd that there seem to be several ' tiers ' of stores  :  older dimly lit, perhaps not so clean    and newer ones that are fine.

its not clear to me if they franchise   

if they don't  Id think they would update oder stores,

I've been to four of them in my general area.  Really, they're no different once you account for age and neighborhood.  Of course, the newer ones appear brighter and cleaner (because, well, they are by their very nature).  The ones on the more upscale neighborhoods appear a bit better.  And, to be frank, the clientele will be a factor in one's impression.  But, that said, I'm not sure that I'm not more comfortable at my lowest end store because the shoppers tend to understand the concept better and are often more friendly.

But the products are all the same..I don't think they franchise, but they do run an extremely tight ship.  So I think the older stores might start getting behind on maintenance and cleaning.

I'm still buying heavy cream at Aldi.

I bought 12 pints yesterday.

Still $1.69 per pint.

Still packed by Byrne Dairy/Ultra Dairy (Plant #36-8580.) 

I also bought two pounds of Kerrygold Butter at $2.99 per 8 ounce package.

That's $1.00 per pound less than Wegman's price.

Unfortunately, there's no sign of Kerrygold Dubliner and other cheeses yet this season. :(

Edited to add: SO asked me to bake date-nut bread so I picked up some chopped dates at Aldi — I didn't try the bread, but SO loved it.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I noticed a new addition to the local Aldi line-up this week.

Aldi beer.png

As I understand it, in Connecticut, beer is legally thought of as a food, so grocery stores can sell it. Wine is an alcoholic beverage so they cannot sell it. We have some  strange laws!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, HungryChris said:

....strange laws!

Stupid laws...just like New York!

• Like 2

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Wow! I thought we were bad here with our state government monopoly (Grrr >:() on liquor. The stores are austere, and they sell whatever they want. No nice decor or quick chill equipment like we had in Memphis. The employees are surly, not knowledgeable and unhelpful, but what are you going to do? You could go to the competition in another state:S I should not complain. At least in my neighborhood store you can walk in and peruse the aisles for your selections. My brother took me to an ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission) store in Durham where you order what you want outdoors through a bullet proof window, and can't even go in the store. This was broad daylight.

Trader Joe's and Aldi are allowed to sell beer and wine in North Carolina. So things could be a lot worse. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Was, and still is, MUCH more restrictive where I grew up in Pennsylvania (Jackson Township, Tioga County), which is just across the border from where I live now.

Retail beer sales banned in 1934 and retail liquor sales banned in 1935.

9 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Was, and still is, MUCH more restrictive where I grew up in Pennsylvania (Jackson Township, Tioga County), which is just across the border from where I live now.

Retail beer sales banned in 1934 and retail liquor sales banned in 1935.

Boo!

> ^ . . ^ <