• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

Dropped by Aldi this morning to pick up milk and cream to make eggnog, and ran into one of the problems I occasionally experience with Aldi. I get used to being able to get something, go in there to get it, and it's not there.

I had been picking up, periodically, one-pound packages of knockwurst, essentially four quarter-pound sticks about as long as a standard frankfurter but bigger around. I wanted four packages of them today for a project I'm eyeing. Of course there were none to be found.

Trying to decide whether I want to road trip later in the week to scope out other Aldis in the region, or say hell with it and get bologna cut an inch thick and just cube it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have purchased individual boneless rib steaks at Aldi and been pleased with their quality for the price (generally $8.99 per lb). I recently bought a standing rib roast for $5.99 per lb and it wasn't very good. It was adequately marbled but not tender.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:53 PM, cyalexa said:

I have purchased individual boneless rib steaks at Aldi and been pleased with their quality for the price (generally $8.99 per lb). I recently bought a standing rib roast for $5.99 per lb and it wasn't very good. It was adequately marbled but not tender.

That leads to the question of how national their sourcing is for beef and such.  I'd imagine they would try to keep shipping distances, particularly in refrigerated trucks, to a minimum, just out of cost saving motives...  Would my Aldi in PA be likely to have beef from the same sources as yours in OK?  That would be interesting to find out.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

1 hour ago, cdh said:

That leads to the question of how national their sourcing is for beef and such.  I'd imagine they would try to keep shipping distances, particularly in refrigerated trucks, to a minimum, just out of cost saving motives...  Would my Aldi in PA be likely to have beef from the same sources as yours in OK?  That would be interesting to find out.

Might be better meat up here. For decades the King Ranch in TX would ship cattle up to Chester Co, PA for finishing for a while.

http://www.thehuntmagazine.com/feature/2011/06/when-cattle-were-king/

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, IndyRob said:

It's holiday time at my Aldi and that means Prosciutto Di Parma and Jamon Iberico are on offer.

Was in one today, Lawrence area, and both were in the case.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once again, I could not find the little 8 oz wheels of brie that we have become addicted to at Aldi and decided to contact them about it.

Their response, below was disappointing, to say the least.

RIP, Happy Farms brie

Brie.jpg

HC

"Thank you for reaching out to us.

Like any retailer, we only sell the items that perform well. Unfortunately, this item did not sell well enough for us to continue stocking it, therefore the item has been discontinued and is no longer available. However, your feedback is very important to us and has been forwarded to the ALDI Buying Team for review.

Thank you again for reaching out to us.

Kind regards,

ALDI Customer Service"

Edited by HungryChris (log)

Sorry to hear that.  I know there was none yesterday at my store but I think there was a couple of weeks ago (I didn't need any so didn't buy any).

I was disappointed not to find any Cowgirl Caviar in the freezer section yesterday and I won't be surprised if it suffers a similar fate. It was a steamable side with 7 whole grains (brown rice, oats, rye, red wheat, triticale, barley, buckwheat and red quinoa) plus black beans, shoepeg corn, and green bell peppers with either guajillo pepper seasoning or mango.  I really liked the one with guajillo.  Fortunately I stocked up a couple of weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, brucesw said:

Sorry to hear that.  I know there was none yesterday at my store but I think there was a couple of weeks ago (I didn't need any so didn't buy any).

I was disappointed not to find any Cowgirl Caviar in the freezer section yesterday and I won't be surprised if it suffers a similar fate. It was a steamable side with 7 whole grains (brown rice, oats, rye, red wheat, triticale, barley, buckwheat and red quinoa) plus black beans, shoepeg corn, and green bell peppers with either guajillo pepper seasoning or mango.  I really liked the one with guajillo.  Fortunately I stocked up a couple of weeks ago.

I think Cowgirl Caviar was a limited edition item

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

2 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I think Cowgirl Caviar was a limited edition item

Thanks.  I didn't know Aldi did that.  The store near me has only been open 7 months and I've only been going about half that time so I'm still learning but I am very glad to have some new competition in this part of town and I'm trying lots of products.

14 minutes ago, brucesw said:

Thanks.  I didn't know Aldi did that.  The store near me has only been open 7 months and I've only been going about half that time so I'm still learning but I am very glad to have some new competition in this part of town and I'm trying lots of products.

https://www.aldi.us/en/new-to-aldi/shopping-at-aldi/

^^See 2nd item

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

My Aldi had the pork belly. Two varieties, same as in the photo from @GlorifiedRice above. $5.99/12 oz. package. I got one of each, along with a couple of boxes of cereal at $1.39/box (Wegmans has the equivalent for $1.69/box right now; their standard price for their own brand when it's not on sale or for those without the shopper's card is $1.99/box).

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On 1/17/2017 at 11:58 AM, HungryChris said:

Once again, I could not find the little 8 oz wheels of brie that we have become addicted to at Aldi and decided to contact them about it.

Their response, below was disappointing, to say the least.

RIP, Happy Farms brie

Brie.jpg

HC

"Thank you for reaching out to us.

Like any retailer, we only sell the items that perform well. Unfortunately, this item did not sell well enough for us to continue stocking it, therefore the item has been discontinued and is no longer available. However, your feedback is very important to us and has been forwarded to the ALDI Buying Team for review.

Thank you again for reaching out to us.

Kind regards,

ALDI Customer Service"

I went there this morning and, much to my surprise, the brie was back in stock. I got 6, just in case it was a last  bit of stock. When I asked about it at checkout, I was told that they had a seasonal brie that was stopped, but this one was still on the list. I hope that is true!

HC