• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

Thursday was the grand reopening. If I had known it was going to be so well attended, I probably would have waited a few days, but I was already there.

You can kind of see from the color of the bricks, the extent of the new addition. It really doesn't look like much of an expansion, but seems quite a bit bigger inside.

Because of the turnout and the fact that the store has been totally rearranged from a layout standpoint, it was a nightmare to try and navigate. I grabbed the things I have gone without and beat feet. I went back yesterday to try and get a few pictures.

0824180933-00.thumb.jpg.49eddb89ce092d7db3b3bafe99e6ee03.jpg

There was a surprising turnout and a kind of humorous ribbon cutting ceremony. 

DSC01501.thumb.JPG.db119311804d9e44f053f0a908af4f7e.JPG

DSC01502.thumb.JPG.3db2378ec56add8a90ca97b225644eed.JPG

To their credit, they came out and handed out these gift cards to everyone in line.

IMG_1851.thumb.JPG.e9221d34f6a8afb84008a6ce08322449.JPG

If I had to put a label on it, I would say that the emphasis seemed to be on more fresh produce.

0824180935-02.thumb.jpg.d45c546cab761ad38bdd3a138b7f0253.jpg0824180937-00.thumb.jpg.0ea0fe22d097e6bfbfebfaf553a9d782.jpg

Before they closed, the fresh eggs were 43 cents a dozen. 0824180936-01.thumb.jpg.e2628c6185817be17e5b652274dfe6c8.jpg 

I have grown addicted to this Tuscan bread. I bring it home and put it in the freezer. It makes great sandwiches and bruschetta. My ten year old cell phone sometimes does not take great photos.

HC

0824180937-01.thumb.jpg.07efb4c4c41c60836be92f31be522c5c.jpg0824180939-03.thumb.jpg.90954d9db1c6ac947a8caef948a368ab.jpg0824180940-00.thumb.jpg.2af0498ef8b3054bcca9102d6285788e.jpg0824180938-00.thumb.jpg.e29dcb8cd5b2e3913022e124dc070878.jpg

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Thursday was the grand reopening. If I had known it was going to be so well attended, I probably would have waited a few days, but I was already there.

You can kind of see from the color of the bricks, the extent of the new addition. It really doesn't look like much of an expansion, but seems quite a bit bigger inside.

My gosh, that store is massive!

The stores around here would be about a tenth that size at most.

@HungryChris

thanks for the pics !

Im glad a store like this is doing well enough to expand here and there.

My Aldi is about 20 - 30 min away, and smaller

and not that well stocked the few times Ive been there.

Im a firm believer that decent competition  helps everybody.

how far away is your Aldi ?

THat store is way larger than any of the stores around here.  Prices seemed similar.  did they expand the selection or just put more product on the shelves? 

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

2 hours ago, joiei said:

THat store is way larger than any of the stores around here.  Prices seemed similar.  did they expand the selection or just put more product on the shelves? 

It is interesting, because in some cases, like the beer selection, they just seem to have added more stock. There is definitely a greater selection of breads, rolls, cakes and the like. There is a new section of fresh fish that was never there before. More cheeses and specialty cheese (I tried a new truffle cheddar, I'd never seen before). I also noticed more brand names here  and there.

HC

IMG_1873.thumb.JPG.1fcf2f5ab1cf61b8364a1edf13a083ce.JPG

• Like 2

WIth the liquor laws changing in October, maybe we will finally get the beer and wine that i have seen in the Missouri stores.   The last time I was there I picked up a hatch chili cheddar that is decent.  Very very mild on the pepper.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We had occasion to visit an Aldi about 3 hours from us- not a large one, but pretty decent.  Today was 'cattle to the butcher' day, and since the butcher is within 20 min to the Aldi store, we went.  The favorite finds today were:

1# Asparagus for $2.99

Organic Garden Veggie pizza for $3.99  (And they were fabulous!!!)

Watermelons....$2.99

We bought a gob of other things---chicken breasts, butter for $2.55/#, cheeses, turkey bacon, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. 

Overjoyed with the total bill.  

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I buy all my milk, half-and-half, cream and butter at Aldi; generally MUCH cheaper than Kroger (including butter, a buck a pound cheaper; half-and-half is comparably cheaper, whole milk close to the same. I find mushrooms at a good price there, consistently. Supermarket cheese is significantly cheaper, as is orange juice frozen concentrate. Bread has a  tendency not to be fresh. Produce is fairly consistently a good deal.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:20 PM, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

thanks for the pics !

Im glad a store like this is doing well enough to expand here and there.

My Aldi is about 20 - 30 min away, and smaller

and not that well stocked the few times Ive been there.

Im a firm believer that decent competition  helps everybody.

how far away is your Aldi ?

This Aldi is about 20 minutes away, but it's 20 minutes of rural driving and close to other stores I visit almost every day, so it is just a matter of should I stop in or not. I know that since it opened, I always have quarters in my pocket and a cooler in the car when I go out and pretty much what @kayb said, above.

HC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Aldi's is going to be joining the "home delivered groceries" market.

"Aldi to add home delivery to St. Louis by Thanksgiving"

Discount grocer Aldi on Tuesday announced it would expand its partnership with Instacart nationwide by Thanksgiving, meaning customers in the St. Louis area will soon be able to get their groceries from Aldi delivered to their homes.

Aldi began a pilot program with Instacart, which also delivers groceries from other retailers including Schnucks and Whole Foods, in 2017 and initial markets included Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles.

I stumbled across this story through Google News. Sorry if there's a survey pop-up. Lie through your teeth or whatever, to get past to the article. No harm no foul.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My closest Aldi is less than 3 miles from my house.  I am so lucky.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, joiei said:

My closest Aldi is less than 3 miles from my house.  I am so lucky.  

I'm in Indiana and our closest is app. 3 miles as well.  It is my primary shopping outlet. 

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 2 months later...

the ALDI near me 

closer than Tj's 

seems to have stalled.  Ive seen no new activity in the last three months

next to them at Harbor Freight  I asked if they knew anyting

thought they were waiting for a liquor license

right next to Total Wine ? 

I remembered to ask at the TownHall, paying some bills

No , no liquor license has been requested.

at another window , they said ALDI has not come in for their building permit

Yikes !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Confused 2

• 5 weeks later...

For those of you who do frequent Aldi , I went to my local one today, and the butter , both salted and unsalted, was one sale for $1.47 lb. Didn't need heavy cream so I didn't pay attention to the price. Now having said that I don't know if the prices are by the store, regional, or nation wide, but just an FYI for those who bake and might be interested.

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

There are two Aldi stores we go to, whenever we're nearby. They're both 3 hours away.  They  both had 1 pound packages of butter for $1.99.    Apparently, they don't let you buy more than 5 in one trip.  (I tried to get 6 one time- right before Christmas. )   I don't get there too often.   

My husband has a newly remodeled Aldi near a couple of his hotels in WI, that he frequents during his on-site visits.   I text him my grocery list, and he gets whatever he can find.  It is always packed with customers, and food does not stay on the shelves long there. 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
  • Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/15/2019 at 7:30 PM, ChocoMom said:

There are two Aldi stores we go to, whenever we're nearby. They're both 3 hours away.  They  both had 1 pound packages of butter for $1.99.    Apparently, they don't let you buy more than 5 in one trip.  (I tried to get 6 one time- right before Christmas. )   I don't get there too often.   

The comparable sale in my neck of the woods is when it goes on for $2.99 (dairy products in general cost more in Canada), occasionally at Sobey's but more usually at Shopper's Drug Mart or Superstore as a weekend door-crasher or as a week-long sale at No Frills (all part of Loblaw's). No Frills usually has a limit of 4 or 6, and the others draw the line at 4. My ideal scenario is when they run out and give a rain check, because often they'll have it back in before the sale expires. Then I can get my limit under the sale (typically more than once, since they're all with in easy driving distance) and then go back with my rain check when the sale is over.

ETA: For non-Canadians, I should explain that No Frills is the low-price arm of one of our major chains, and is a sort of quasi-Aldi in ways. They stock a pared-down selection that's heavy on Loblaw's store brands (the generic yellow label products and higher-end President's Choice items), and customers box or bag their own. There's also a coin-based cart-return system there, though other retailers have used that system off and on as well.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...

Annual Pilgrimage to ALDI

Mecca for Mayo

4 jars of Berman's  ( their brand of mayo.   not pictured  .  look the same to me as last years jugs

$ 2.19.  Yikes ! up from $ 1.87

perspective :  Hellman's  :  MarketBasket  ( sale ) $ 2.99

Stop$Shop :  3.9i9 .      RocheBro  some times $4.25.

A2.thumb.jpg.f92024f0771db1d5549202aaed36eac4.jpg

Im a sucker for Creamy Ranch sub-types   Todays work is Chipotle.

Chocolat 

A1.thumb.jpg.b3e8413f50a6998a1d76355fbcea8fa3.jpg

they seem to change their lineup at years yearly.  and they have quite of few european choc's

have to look into their sausage

A3.thumb.jpg.499c9cbb1b19b4360100e39ab862fcd7.jpg

L to R :  chicken Teqhila Habanero ( one missing )    Chiclken Tequila Lime ,  Smokes brats

One bag of ALDI generic HD buns.  fit chicken ' sausage ' BTW

nada one of the HL chickens :  mice / torch / micro bun / plenty of grainy mustard

no hints of tequila that I can tell , good heat , but Habanero ? did not examine Nutritional info.  aster all , the Town I live in give me

a free ( $ 3.00 ) parking pass , so why bother ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Annual Pilgrimage to ALDI

Chocolat 

A1.thumb.jpg.b3e8413f50a6998a1d76355fbcea8fa3.jpg

they seem to change their lineup at years yearly.  and they have quite of few european choc's

I am hooked on their Dark Sea Salt Caramel Choc!

HC

• Like 1

Aldi used to carry a Moser Roth bar that was filled iwth a runny caramel. I look for it ever time I'm in there. Haven't seen it of late.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My review;

the spicy chicken ' dog ' was indeed spicy , not overly salty and nice

the chicken tequila lime might have had some lime in it , trace amounts and no tequila flavor I could detect.  still I fine chicken ' dog '

the brat was very very salty .  I try to restrict my commercial salt intake and am sensitive to it.  Ill cut the rest of the dogs in 1/2 , and soak them in ice water then cook.

Chocolat :

the dark salt carmel was very nice .  not too salty.  the caramel did take some time to ' dissolve ' away from my teeth

the 85 % dark :   very very nice

the dark chili :   the chili took a bit of time to ' hit ' and was OK.  but I don't think spicy chocolate is for me.  the bar itself was nice if you like some chili

Orange almond :  i know orange does well w chocolate , esp dark.  but I wouldn't look for it.  this bar changed my mind : excellent it was.

each box had individual smaller wrapped chocolates in the box.

so a bit thumbs up on the chocolate.

• Like 3

I agree that the Aldi bars are quite delicious.  I think I prefer the 70% to the 85%, but I do love the sea salt caramel.  My favorite Aldi sausages are the occasionally available Deutsche Kuche brand Smoked Knackwurst. The DK bavarian brats are also pretty tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch