• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi

Toliver

12 minutes ago, palo said:

Small font?

p

I suppose there may be areas where it makes sense to list locations but not so much around here.   

Newsprint paper and the printing process they use isn't really suited to small fonts and a printed address alone isn't all that helpful -either it's on a main street like 42 mile-long Sepulveda Blvd in Los Angeles or some little side street that only exists inside a single shopping block. 

There is one small chain that I sometimes get a circular for that only has 3 stores.  I think that's the only one I've seen with printed locations.  Very much an outlier.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Do you receive circulars from other grocery stores that indicate their locations?  
I got ads from 7 different grocery chains in this week’s pile. Not a one mentioned their location. Perhaps a conspiracy….

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I suppose there may be areas where it makes sense to list locations but not so much around here.   

Newsprint paper and the printing process they use isn't really suited to small fonts and a printed address alone isn't all that helpful -either it's on a main street like 42 mile-long Sepulveda Blvd in Los Angeles or some little side street that only exists inside a single shopping block. 

There is one small chain that I sometimes get a circular for that only has 3 stores.  I think that's the only one I've seen with printed locations.  Very much an outlier.

I remember some years  (decades) ago, going to a city Safeway for a particularly good promotional price.   The advertised price didn't come up at checkstand.    The checker called the manager who looked at my flyer, shook his head and said that he had never seen it before and asked where I got it.   I told him it came in the Tuesday junk mail packet.   He met the prices.    I later realized that it probably was delivered to our weekend place, a half dozen counties away.    Sorry about that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

of the USA?

Map of the area where the local stores are.  I sincerely doubt even nationwide chains print weekly circulars covering the whole country.  Else how would they know to flog Hellmann's or flog Best's??  In my experience Shoprite won't even honor prices advertised from the next store over.

A while back I went to the Aldi website printed on the Aldi circular but the website was of no help locating the Aldi store.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Map of the area where the local stores are.  I sincerely doubt even nationwide chains print weekly circulars covering the whole country.  Else how would they know to flog Hellmann's or flog Best's??  In my experience Shoprite won't even honor prices advertised from the next store over.

A while back I went to the Aldi website printed on the Aldi circular but the website was of no help locating the Aldi store.

First, I do not believe any Aldi is worth going out of one’s way for but from a general interest perspective, their website has a fairly standard store locator page which will display a zoomable/clickable map of the store locations near a given address. 
I tend to find such maps more helpful in locating stores than small printed maps but you could always shrink it down and print it out if that works better!
643DFF4C-68DC-47AA-A25E-99AD2705FD94.thumb.jpeg.6e5734cce8d760f8de7fb5a456bbcf81.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

Ive never had Dukes.  almost ordered it from Amz

years ago . but did not .  Amz was no offering ' free ' chocolate '

but Aldi seems to .

I find Duke's too eggy.

Not bad, just assertive.

btw the "small font" comment was a joke!!!!

After I googled Aldi locations and found that it seemed there was one on every corner in America (the southern part of America at least compared to the northern part of America, affectionately known as Canada) I could see the problem 😛

p

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Then what's the point of advertising?

As I've said before, they are mainly advertising products to an existing customer base which knows where the stores are. They will also pick up new customers - it's not so difficult to find the stores!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

As I've said before, they are mainly advertising products to an existing customer base which knows where the stores are. They will also pick up new customers - it's not so difficult to find the stores!

As I said, I once tried to find the nearest Aldi store without success.  Admittedly I did not try exhaustively hard because, wherever it was, I was pretty sure I could never get there.

I am not too young to remember when grocery stores wanting my patronage printed their addresses on the weekly circulars.

For sanity I just checked the Shoprite circular, and while they did not list the GPS coordinates of the stores, at least they gave the townships to which their circular applied.

17 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've just found my nearest Aldi store. Unfortunately it is 897 miles / 1444 kilometers away. It took me two minutes online to locate it.

The USA stores are here.

Thank you.  Mine is closer but it is still too far for me to get to.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw these French butter cookies at Aldi the other day and picked up 3 flavors.  Sixteen cookies/box @ $2.49/box with 4 little packs of 4 cookies.  

I've only tried the berry flavor and liked them.  In my store, they were in the aisle with seasonal-type foods, not the main cookie area so I'm assuming they won't be around for long. 

763E31C6-3625-423F-AC56-29FFB521CB86_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2961f9593c7a7f25106d33cf74b3d331.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to correct quantity - it's 16, not 12/box (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Saw these French butter cookies at Aldi the other day and picked up 3 flavors.  Sixteen cookies/box @ $2.49/box with 4 little packs of 4 cookies.  

I've only tried the berry flavor and liked them.  In my store, they were in the aisle with seasonal-type foods, not the main cookie area so I'm assuming they won't be around for long. 

763E31C6-3625-423F-AC56-29FFB521CB86_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2961f9593c7a7f25106d33cf74b3d331.jpeg

I love both the lemon & almond and the sea salt caramel versions (have not tried the berry) and have gotten them when available for a couple of years. My sister called me a week or so ago to tell me they had them. I was so excited and went right out to snatch up a few boxes. None at my store. And still none when I went again yesterday. Boo! I always stock up. Guess I'll have to console myself with another box of the St. Michel cookies at Costco. They still had them last week when I went.

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

I love both the lemon & almond and the sea salt caramel versions (have not tried the berry) and have gotten them when available for a couple of years. My sister called me a week or so ago to tell me they had them. I was so excited and went right out to snatch up a few boxes. None at my store. And still none when I went again yesterday. Boo! I always stock up. Guess I'll have to console myself with another box of the St. Michel cookies at Costco. They still had them last week when I went.

The berry bits are kinda little tooth pullers but I still like them.  Had one of the sea salt caramel ones with a cup of coffee and they're very nice, too.  I'll see if I can get more this morning.  Keep looking at your store, I'm often seeing items listed in their "Aldi Finds" add not showing up in my store until weeks after the ad dates. 

I also love those St. Michel cookies, too.  Maybe a good thing I don't have Costco membership!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Aldi deutsche kuche frozen pork schnitzel are pretty good for a quick heat up meal.  However, they don't seem to do well in the air fryer.  I suspect they need a spray of oil to crisp and brown nicely.  They stay pale in the air fryer.

I shop for a couple different households.   Aldi had veal patties in the frozen section, so I added those to a delivery, along with the frozen cheese spaetzle.    We'll see how the reviews come back.

• Like 1