• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking during blizzard.

chefmd

Oswego isn't that bad! Those of us who live here know what we're in for, and we're equipped to handle it. When we get the big lake-effect storms (the ones where the snow band sets up right on top of us and doesn't move for a few days), we get asked not to drive, because it's easier to plow when fewer cars are on the road. Even then, if you need to get somewhere (such as to refill your snowblower gas can) it usually isn't a problem, once you get your car out of the driveway.

We aren't quite as chilly this morning as ElainaA: the NOAA buoy in the harbor says that our air temperature bottomed out this morning at 18 ºF. Even the wind is down: a couple of days ago we had sustained winds of 40 knots with gusts nearing 55 knots; today we're just seeing a breezy 20 knots.

Yesterday, I made a pot of beef stock. I was able to quickly chill it on the "walk out" (AKA my deck) to the point where it was safe to refrigerate. This morning, I plan to defat it and then package and freeze it for later. I'm thinking that some of it will get combined with barley and mushrooms in the early part of next week.

How much snow have we seen in the last few days? None.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Good luck! I lived in DC and Baltimore for years and remember well the panic and bad driving with just an inch or two of snow. But this is a real one.  I hear that we (Boston, that is) are sending some snow removal equipment your way. We’re lucky that this storm is mostly missing us, but the food hoarding instinct still kicks in.

What did you think of the capon?  I’ve never tasted one.  I hope you’re planning on making some stock/broth with the carcass and meat scraps.  Though I don’t cook meat often, I generally grab a chicken on a pre-storm grocery run.  A roast, leftovers for sandwiches, and then a good soup—that’s generally part of my storm cooking strategy.

LindaK,

Yep, DC can be incapacitated by very little snow.  Last Wednesday all freeways were literally stopped after 1 inch on the ground (there was apparently no pretreatment).

I also never cooked capon before.  It tasted like very flavorful chicken.  Surprisingly there was very little fat, about 1/2 cup from 7 pound bird.  But the meat was very juicy and tender.  Will see how it reheats later today or tomorrow.  Will probably make capers and herbs sauce to go with it.

• Like 1

well

ive been in bad weather, and I do deeply respect it.

I do hope all eG's do well, and all their neighbors , right on down the Line.

here I have this (  BOS a bit West ) :WoodStove.thumb.jpg.970adf5b2854e48ca5b6

as my mother would have said :

" your not exactly a Spring Chicken Yourself Any More "  etc

but  here we are now.

Mister Cat  loves the gentle breeze from the wood stove here :

56a3bc94948a3_FrontBlanketIII.thumb.jpg.

well  that pic is a few days old.

Right now, MC is too busy to appreciate the Wood Stove

I sure hope all can be warm and safe.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

Totally inauthentic ramen for lunch.  Sous vide egg 145 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Left over pork roast seared in Benton's bacon drippings, more drippings went into soup for the fatty mouth feel.   I do not like large piece of pork in my ramen since it is difficult to eat so I cut it into bite size pieces.  Home made chicken/pork stock.

photo(23).JPG.d356309db5f4771ea5bd733c82

Brand of instant ramen noodles approved by my DIL from China.

photo(22).JPG.0eddf71e24a8b2b2a2db5d1f09

As a side note, I have tons of flavor packets from noodle soup.  Any ideas on how to use those?

• Like 4

HC

good for you

Id love to have something like that for my 2 families of Cardinals

One flies to the Left and the other Flies to the right

and indeed  Ive seem both families  at the same time

Good for You

have you consider some M.R. as a reward ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

Not nice out there at all. I live across the street from the Hudson River, and the winds are really fierce. I do sometimes worry about the windows holding up! Took my dog out earlier, she was Not Amused. It's nice to watch a storm from indoors, it always makes me feel so grateful.

Anyhoo, I did bake bread last night, but was not thrilled with the result. (My errors, of course.) It's a Carol Field recipe, she calls it Sicilian Bread, it is basically a semolina bread. I love semolina. She does warn against using regular semolina, saying that fine semolina is needed. I had only about half the quantity necessary of the fine semolina, so for the rest I used regular semolina. I think more water would have helped. Also, it's quite over baked and dry. I baked according to her instructions, but the difference in flour certainly mattered. (Also, it was almost 2 in the morning and I wasn't paying attention.) She calls for 2-3 tsp salt, and since I usually find that most breads need a bit more salt than called for, I used 3 tsp. I think 2 1/2 tsp would have been better. Well, it is not bad toasted and buttered, but not a particularly successful bread. Oh well. I will have to buy some more fine semolina, try this again and actually follow her instructions!

Semolina Bread.jpg

Semolina Bread Sliced.jpg

• Like 4

Cakewalk, even if not successful as bread, it sure is successfully beautiful.  The crust looks perfect.  

And I second Lisa Shock on the dressing suggestion, I bet that would be delicious.  

It's also true, tho, that I have something like 2 gallon-bags of bread crumbs/croutons from my bread baking fails.  At some point, you just do NOT need any more of those.    

• Like 2

Having lived for many years in various assorted versions of "electricity goes out" country (blizzards, ice storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, third-world unreliable electricity), here's a tip.  When the electricity goes out, I'm sure everyone knows not to open your freezer in the hopes that perhaps the power will come back on before everything thaws.  Sometimes, when it's bad enough, we leave town until the worst is over.  When we come back, it's basically impossible to know if perhaps everything thawed, but refroze.

Pre-outage, freeze some water in a small cup or glass.  When it's frozen, put a penny on top of the ice.  Then, when power comes back on, you can tell if it thawed enough for the penny to drop to the bottom of the glass.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 12

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Since the power is still on, cooking some steel cut oats in the pressure cooker, Modernist Cuisine method.  For a fashionably late breakfast.

Now towards evening the snow has slackened.  A couple of hours ago there was no visibility.  Here's a view of my blueberry bushes from the balcony door.  (Ignore the okra in the foreground.)

BlueberriesSnow01232016.png

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

rotuts – Mr. Cat is GORGEOUS!

cakewalk – too bad about the bread because it sure is pretty!

We’ve needed breakfast these past two days.  Neither of us are big morning eaters, but it seemed necessary.  Not that we are outside shoveling, sledding or even walking, but whatever.  I haven’t seen this much concentrated snow in years!  I didn’t do much ahead of time shopping – water, some just in case canned goods, etc.  But today we cataloged the inside freezer and the urge kicked in.  I’ve got a loaf of white in the bread machine torturing me with its fragrance.  And as soon as I get the machine off the counter, I’m starting a loaf of banana bread.  Dinner tonight will be some of Mr. Kim’s BBQ that we unearthed from the freezer.  I’ve got buns, but sadly no slaw.

• Like 4

View from the terrace in Manhattan this afternoon. Quite a bit more snow has fallen since then, but it seems to be tapering off. Very nice to have all the streets closed to traffic.

56a407ca67157_ScreenShot2016-01-23at6.07

I stocked up on wine, chicken and pork chops. And I'm making no-soak black beans right now, possibly with fried chicken later on if I feel up to it. (I got Marcella beans too! Trying to figure out what to do with them - thinking simple / salad is best... ?)

• Like 7

My Stormy Jonas old fashioned made with Benton's bacon infused bourbon, agave, mandarin peel, Peychaud bitters.  Note to self: need to update my bitters collection.

photo(26).JPG.ed26365b2c0bf32d95ddb339e5

• Like 4

I'm so enjoying this thread! It was 80F (27C) here in Tucson today, but I have spent some time in cold and snow and with a few storms/power outages. ChefMD, I love the spirit of your building, what a great idea to have a party! 

It's great to hear from people and their experiences. The one thing I loved about big snowstorms in the city was how quiet the streets could get. Even in cities where the traffic keeps moving, the snow muffles the sound. 

I hope the storm doesn't cause too much hardship for people, though. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

HC

good for you

Id love to have something like that for my 2 families of Cardinals

One flies to the Left and the other Flies to the right

and indeed  Ive seem both families  at the same time

Good for You

have you consider some M.R. as a reward ?

Rotus, not sure what M.R. is , but suddenly feel the need to point out that Debbie and I  will be sharing Irish Coffee when I'm done with the shoveling.

• Like 1