• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker Odors

kbjesq

Host's note: this topic was split from the Instant Pot at Work- A Little Help Please topic.

I'm new to the IP (have only had mine for a week) but I definitely notice a strong odor when I open the pot.  For example, this morning I cooked pork chops for my dogs and when I opened the pot after cooking, the odor of cooked meat was overwhelming (and I have an open concept kitchen).  Would cooking odors be offensive to patients or co-workers?  I'm thinking of this because I used to work at a firm that banned microwave popcorn and curry dishes because of complaints from co-workers and clients - and the kitchen of this firm was actually in the basement but the odors could be detected even on the third floor.  I personally can't stand the smell of coffee that's been sitting on a burner all shift -- it literally makes me nauseous.  I'm not trying to be discouraging but just mentioning this as it was the first thing that jumped to mind when I read the subject line of this topic! O.o  That being said, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures, esp with huevos rancheros

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

perhaps you have a sensitive nose ?    that's a compliment BTW

I have not noticed any unusual odors from my pot.

where those Chops on the Older Side ?

Haha thank you for the compliment, maybe I do have a sensitive nose

Regarding my pork chops this morning, they were frozen until I cooked them. They came from a 4-H home-raised pig. We buy one every year, even though I don't eat meat. We feel it's important to support the local youth in positive endeavors like 4-H.  

However it was not just the pork that smelled, the vegetarian chili and poultry broth smelled very strongly, too -  perhaps the intensity of pressure cooking is the cause? 

nope

get your self a job as a  perfume sniffer :

http://www.ehow.com/how_5716856_become-smell-tester-perfume-company.html

or a Nose 

https://www.winefrog.com/definition/151/nose-wine

Im not making this up

id go with Chanel for the perfume :

https://www.winefrog.com/definition/151/nose-wine

and 

as a Journey Person for the Cellars of Paris or NYCity

Im not making this up.

I would  not mind a case or two of the the First Growths you rate below 97.

just a few a year.

BTW being a Nose is a real thing.  very much in demand

just a few cases a year would be fine.  Older the Better

no Channel, thanks.

Edited by rotuts (log)

16 minutes ago, kbjesq said:

maybe I do have a sensitive nose

That could well be the case.  It's possible that the high temp/pressure combo can release more volatile compounds.  I also think that the sealed pressure cooker can sequester some of those odoriferous components that are usually released gradually into the kitchen atmosphere during conventional cooking so your naive olfactory system gets a big dose of them when you open the cooker.  In a regular pot on the stove, your olfactory receptors would be more gradually be exposed to slowly increasing levels of these components and develop a bit of tolerance as they dissipate through your space.

Nuisance odors can be a factor in any work environment although modern hospitals tend to be pretty good in terms of air changes and filtering.  With the usual odd exception that sucks all the loading dock or trash autoclave exhaust fumes directly into the staff break room!

• Like 1

I'll admit that when I want something "stinky" during a 12 hour shift, I go across the street and warm my "stinky" food in the microwave there. That's where the EMTs, firefighters and other tough ppl hang out. They never complain about anything food-related,  (as long as I share).  But that assumes that I have time for a break.  If no time for a break, then I gulp a protein shot -  42 g protein in 3.2 oz. That will forestall hunger pains for hours and the added bonus is at only 3.2 oz,  no repeated trips to the loo, which we often don't have time for, either -  here is an example :  New Whey Liquid Protein, Watermelon, 12 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030DM28C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_k1lFwbEA2G8QP

PS I have only used Chanel No 5 for the last 30 years, nothing else smells good to me. I use the soap, lotion and eau de toilette.  Anything else is too strong for me 

Edited by kbjesq
clarification (log)

I stopped wearing colognes and perfumes years ago.  Everything seemed just too strong for the workplace as well as around food.  I particularly dislike smelling anything perfum-ey while dining. 

Thank goodness it seems that most women I come into contact with have done the same.

Remember when you walked into a department store and were rushed by sales girls pushing perfume samples at you and threatening to spray you with scent?

It's probably different for those who live in fashion forward big cities, I'm sure.

• Like 1

I do have some issues with some odors - in one ER where I work I've had to speak half a dozen times to someone who slathers patchouli oil on herself. Makes me wheeze and cough so bad I find it hard to work. Can't imagine how the folks with COPD handle it.

Anyway - I've not had any complaints about smells of the food I bring to work - quite the opposite actually.

• Like 2

I'm with you, Kerry. I despise patchouli oil. It's so persistent. It stays in a room after someone wearing it has long left, it taints anything they touch or rub against. And I can almost taste it (blech) when someone wears it near me. And there are several perfumes that give me an instant sinus headache, if that's the right term. It's like something hit me right between the eyes.  

Food smells, on the other hand, are usually good. Especially fresh cooking ones.

But the older smell that starts to accumulate on those IP sealing rings, I'm not such a big fan of those. I wasn't on top of it when I first starting using the IP and the first dish I did (a simple beef stew) tainted the ring. I didn't think to remove it or even clean it until a day or two later and now nothing will remove the odor completely, it seems. My habit now is to pull out the sealing ring ASAP and throw it into the sink with some water and dish soap. And/or put it through the dishwasher. And I bought two extra rings. 

The IP manual does say (p 7) to keep the ring clean to avoid odor. (Ha, not sure that odors can be completely avoided.)

Washing the sealing ring in warm soapy water or dishwasher can remove odor. However, it is normal for the sealing ring to absorb the smell of certain acidic foods. That's why it is always a good idea to have more than one sealing ring on hand.

I'm not sure if some odors can ever be completely removed, but they do seem to be diminished after a few washings. I might try steaming a cut-up lemon in there and see how that works. That's acidic, but it's a nice acidic smell.  :)

• Like 1

I thought of something.

get some [ed.: Oxymoron coming]   'good quality Hot Dogs'

put a bunch in the pot.  find some with casings that 'snap'  

I can't say what 'warm' is but Id end up there, with a basket on top of the Dogs in Water  what hold those cheeps HotDog Bus to 'steam heat'

ball park mustard or dijon  ( lots ) and diced red onions ( lots )

treat the Staff.

as this is a prospective study, Im guessing you won't be bothered as much for the not revenant stuff

567ecaa7db11b_surprised.gif.1693328f42fe.

On 12/26/2015 at 9:01 AM, FauxPas said:

But the older smell that starts to accumulate on those IP sealing rings,...

I don't believe it's the metal pan and metal lid themselves that retain the odors but the other non-metal parts that do. Try a baking soda & water soak on the sealing ring to see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

27 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Try a baking soda & water soak on the sealing ring to see if it makes a difference.

There will be ridicule, but here's the #1 trick for removing odor from rubber, plastic and silicone.  I learned this after nearly driving myself insane trying to remove freezer odors from my $$ silicone "rocks" ice molds.  

Seal the item in a plastic bag surrounded with...  unscented clay cat litter.  Leave for 2-3 days.   

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading on the Instant Pot Facebook group and someone recommended using aquarium charcoal filters to keep the smells out of the Instant Pot. They say to place a filter in the pot and close the lid when not in use and the filter will absorb all the odors from the sealing ring. They say it is safe to be used in food vessels, but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on that? 

I have the Cuisinart version and here's what I do to minimize the gasket odor (and I've tried most everything - not the kitty litter though). First, wash it real good. Then I fill a round stainless or non-reactive pan, big enough to surround the gasket, with warm water and dissolve a scoop of oxygen "bleach" in it.  This is commonly available as Oxyclean, but it's just sodium percarbonate, so any store brand will do.  Let it soak overnight.  Take out the gasket, rinse well.  Most of the smell will be gone, but if some remains, let it dry in the air for a few days and the smell will dissipate.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On December 30, 2015 at 1:45 PM, boilsover said:

There will be ridicule, but here's the #1 trick for removing odor from rubber, plastic and silicone.  I learned this after nearly driving myself insane trying to remove freezer odors from my $$ silicone "rocks" ice molds.  

Seal the item in a plastic bag surrounded with...  unscented clay cat litter.  Leave for 2-3 days.   

Thank you!

The fragrance of Cascade Platinum (pods) in all my silicone utensils has been making me nuts.  [Store-brand detergent worked fine in the 1993 dishwasher but I couldn't get acceptable results with the "improved" 2014 model until I upgraded and upgraded again to the over-perfumed pods.]  I had tried baking soda, vinegar, alcohol, etc., and the kitty litter has worked better than anything else.  [If anyone can recommend an unscented dishwasher detergent that really works....]

• Like 1