• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot at Work - A Little Help Please

Kerry Beal

Picked up an Instant Pot at a good price with the thought that it might prove useful at work when I have some of my 24 hours shifts in the ER. We have a call room that's set up like a little hotel room - with a microwave, kettle and small fridge. I keep a tea pot and cosy there as well as a cutting board, paring knife, 8 cup pyrex measure, noodle bowl, tea mug...

There will be a spot I can leave the Instant Pot up there tucked away in a cupboard.

So I'm hoping for some suggestions - I'm eating low carbish these days and would love some ideas of what meals I could easily make myself that use the Instant Pot. I guess looking for things I can just bung in the pot, turn on, go see patients then return to eat when the time comes.

I'll use this thread to report what I make too!

soup.

using fresh or frozen vegetables , esp the veg in those large plastic bags frozen.

just figure out what sort of stock you plan to use.  and some of that low or salt free seasonings that are around.

although TJ's is not near you, the '21 seasoning solute " is decent

get some cracker and some cheese you might grate at the last minute.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Soup is also what came to mind to me. You can throw in whatever you want. Ahead of time, chop some onion and other aromatics, and use the saute function to brown them (or do that part at home first). Broth in a box so it doesn't need to be refrigerated or require any special tools to open. Add less broth for something more stew-y.

You're going to have everyone else within nose-shot jealous.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I bet you could also do whatever your favorite pot roast recipe is in the IP. Or a chicken, maybe even a turkey breast if you can find one that fits? Once you have the cooked meat, you could always eat it in lettuce leaves with whatever condiments you prefer, if you're looking to stay away from noodles or rice or mashed potatoes.

I suppose the ribs would be a no-go, since you won't have an oven and someone might object to you torching them at the end?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Ooh, I also just remembered: squash! Cook small ones whole, and then scrape out the seeds and add butter and seasoning! Once it's cooked and soft, there's minimal danger of you needing the services of your colleagues to sew you up after a knife mishap.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

59 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I was wondering about ribs - too bad I don't have a CSO there to finish them off!

Well, there are different types of rib dishes, many of which don't require "finishing off."  Perhaps short ribs cooked some sort of hot-pot or Asian style. And I'm a big fan of ribs & Bavarian sauerkraut - although it's true that not everyone likes the aroma of sauerkraut cooking as much as I do. But you could just go with German red cabbage - not quite so pungent. 

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

to be fair : 

at some point your going to do more Cookn' than Workn'

id avoid that like Id avoid the Plague.

is the ER busy ?  so-so busy ? etc the best way to get though those 24 is to be busy .

an the other hand, if its rairly busy, say evenings and nights, 

put your feet up, and read a good book

Michael Connelly ?

Ive been pretty superstitious in my past, and doing high IP End Cooking will eventually get you inundated with a long line of extra patients to see

soup.   ad something different to each bowl you eat

more that that, the ER Gods will make sure you'll never see the break room again

just saying

It's usually steady during the day - at times I've had a few hours to put my feet up. Next shift is Boxing Day - traditionally a crazy day.

Picked up two nice pork blade chops - boneless - wonder what would work well for them. Picture to follow.

Look on the hip pressure cooking blog for a recipe called "20 minute pressure cooked pork chops with cabbage". Just might fit the bill. Tried to provide a link but it seems the site will not allow it. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1531.jpg.0b408341165263996f2d703dfc2

Here's the chops - I like the look of the chops with cabbage - but the sauerkraut suggestion is calling out to me too - wonder what I have in the way of kraut stashed in a cupboard somewhere. Kraut, caraway...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here's the chops - I like the look of the chops with cabbage - but the sauerkraut suggestion is calling out to me too - wonder what I have in the way of kraut stashed in a cupboard somewhere. Kraut, caraway...

...and a couple of new potatoes...

Oh, wait.  Carbs.  But, hey...

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Just now, Jaymes said:

...and a couple of new potatoes...

Oh, wait.  Carbs.  But, hey...

I know, I know! I was tempted by the spuds too.

• Like 1

Dropped in to the grocery store this morning on my way to work and got some sauerkraut. Will freeze the chops until Friday night and assemble my various ingredients to take along.

Thinking for my other meal I might make Huevos rancheros - got to think through how to best do that in the IP.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Dropped in to the grocery store this morning on my way to work and got some sauerkraut. Will freeze the chops until Friday night and assemble my various ingredients to take along.

Not sure what sort of sauerkraut you buy, but I usually get "Bavarian Style."  Already has the caraway seeds, and a hint of sweetness.  Love the stuff.  Many brands, but I think they're all good, especially when I'm pressed for time.

to your SK  consider adding some dried cranberries if you have then

( note : next time your are at TJ's USA  get a LOT )

or some raisins    a touch of sweetness

consider as mentioned an apple or two that's on the tart side, ( I keep the skin on ) sliced up on the very top of what you have in the Pot.