• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

Cheers with my glass of Pino Gris.  I have had no problems with the reserve tank and I don't use the oven everyday and I don't use steam everyday.  You must have not seated it properly or it wasn't tightened enough.

Onwards and Upwards!

• Like 1

No. Mine has a plastic tank on the side where you put water when you're going to use the steam function. And it wasn't a case of not getting it seated, either. It just did the same thing. Being no fool, a folded-up bath towel jammed between it and the Keurig caught the water this time. Stopper in the tank is tightened pretty finger-tight; doesn't leak when held stopper-down, until you press on the little valve in the center.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have had my CSO all of three hours. And it has already tried to kill me. 

In anticipation of its arrival today, I cleared off the top of the microwave to make a spot, into which it fit perfectly. I read through the manual. Well, I think I read through the manual, though I had to go back and look up how to set the clock. And I perused recipes.

Also in anticipation of its arrival, I started a loaf of bread last night, along with the poolish for some baguettes and ciabatta tomorrow. 

First, I learned something. I learned when they say don't leave water in the reservoir when you're not using the steam function, they ain't kiddin'. I discovered this when I had to mop up about half a reservoir-full.

Not to be deterred, I went on about shaping my loaves and putting them in the CSO on steam at 100F to proof. My 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans fit perfectly, side by side, btw. And I went away and left it to steam for 20 minutes.

At the end of which time, I stepped away from the stove, where I'd been canning tomato sauce, into a puddle of water (another half-a-reservoir-full or so...and down I went. Fortunately, I did not damage either the healing ankle nor the previously damaged knee, though the good one now has a "tweak" in it it didn't have before.

I mopped up THAT water, read the directions again, put a little more water in the reservoir, and made sure it was seated well this time. I think that may have been my problem. However, when they suggest a loaf of bread will proof in 20 minutes on steam at 100 degrees, they're talking through their collective hat.

I'm now steaming again, and drinking a glass of wine. Back  yard tomatoes yielded three half-pints of sauce. 

OMG! O.o

Sounds like my kind of luck! xD

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt or re-hurt!!! :)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I leave water in reservoir all the time without leaking.  Sometimes for a week or longer if I teavel.  The only leaking I had was when I forgot to empty drip tray after multiple uses of steam.

That's weird.  Nothing blocking the little holes at the bottom of the seat?  Can't think of anything else. Oh wait, I googled the problem and found this:  

Re: Water leaks from the reservoir straight through the...

There is a screw at the back that need to be tightened before use. It is not mentioned anywhere on the manual, learned it the hard way.

There is a black knob at the back on the water reserve side, have a look.

Found the black knob probably about the time you posted that. Thanks!

We're going on an hour on steam at 100F to proof bread loaves. They ain't there yet.

This is not an auspicious beginning to our relationship.

Don't ask. Eat it.

35 minutes ago, kayb said:

No. Mine has a plastic tank on the side where you put water when you're going to use the steam function. And it wasn't a case of not getting it seated, either. It just did the same thing. Being no fool, a folded-up bath towel jammed between it and the Keurig caught the water this time. Stopper in the tank is tightened pretty finger-tight; doesn't leak when held stopper-down, until you press on the little valve in the center.

I've had mine filled to the brim every time I've used it and nothing like that has happened.

edit:  should have kept reading glad it's solved.

Edited by Shelby (log)

I had a similar issue with leaking.  I moved the oven over to the spot where I had previously placed the BSO.  After I moved it there was a big puddle on the counter.  Slid it out, wiped up the water and pushed it back.  Came back later to another puddle!  Then I checked the stopper in the reservoir, tightened it, and checked the black plug on the back and tightened it.  No more leaks (and I do store water in the reservoir).

On another note:  I'm wondering if anyone is using their oven as a proofing box.

""   don't leave water in the reservoir when you're not using the steam function ""

always water in my water tank.

the only water puddle Ive ever had was forgetting the itsy bits water collector that slides out from the front bottom

when I wash it I dry it immediately and slide it right back in

as far as i can tell (  CSB v1 ) I have no black knob on the back.

love to see a pic of yours if you have one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

""   don't leave water in the reservoir when you're not using the steam function ""

always water in my water tank.

the only water puddle Ive ever had was forgetting the itsy bits water collector that slides out from the front bottom

when I wash it I dry it immediately and slide it right back in

as far as i can tell (  CSB v1 ) I have no black knob on the back.

love to see a pic of yours if you have one.

Like so

image.jpeg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, lindag said:

On another note:  I'm wondering if anyone is using their oven as a proofing box.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/152296-the-bread-topic-2015/?do=findComment&comment=2062954

Mixed results.  In several trials I've not had the scarifications open properly.  But all the loaves I've proofed (or over proofed) and baked in the CSO have been quite tasty.

I'm thinking patons need a bit of a skin on the surface for the scarifications to remain open.  So far the best result was when I started the proof in the CSO at 100 deg F. steam for only a few minutes and then left the proof to finish in the still warm and moist environment.  Tonight I think I'll try pre-steaming the CSO, turning off the heat and steam, and only then loading the paton.

I've love to hear other people's results with proofing in the CSO.  Early in this discussion @weinoo posted a picture of a round loaf with better slashes than my mini baguettes.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I had a similar issue with leaking.  I moved the oven over to the spot where I had previously placed the BSO.  After I moved it there was a big puddle on the counter.  Slid it out, wiped up the water and pushed it back.  Came back later to another puddle!  Then I checked the stopper in the reservoir, tightened it, and checked the black plug on the back and tightened it.  No more leaks (and I do store water in the reservoir).

Yes, I used mine for two loaves of anadama bread yesterday. It took an hour, vs the 20 minutes the book said it'd take (albeit that was for a different kind of bread). I did it on steam at 100F; I think next time I may bump it up to 110, as it didn't feel very warm to the touch.

I tend not to slash my loaves (heresy, I know, but I always forget! and I don't do baguettes much), so I can't testify to that.

The Anadama bread was most excellent, both plain and toasted, btw.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Like so

image.jpeg

Exactly. Thankfully, the water did not get into the power strip and fry the whole house.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Sooo   what does the black Knob do ?

if not tight, does water leak out ?

Im a bit miffed.

maybe my CSB need a Pal.

after I drum up and electrician for a few more 20 amp circuits dans le Kitchen.

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Sooo   what does the black Knob do ?

if not tight, does water leak out ?

Im a bit miffed.

maybe my CSB need a Pal.

after I drum up and electrician for a few more 20 amp circuits dans le Kitchen.

It leaks half a tank of water over the course of 15-20 minutes. No leak since I tightened it. Not sure what its purpose is, other than to cause me agita.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Ah, the Agita Knob !

nice.

BTW  that little tray under the front would be checked  ' from time to time '

not so much for water, but after a steam-bake  some of the CSB ' jus ' collects there.

it then becomes a fascinating Bacti-Lab.  all sorts of things grown down there.

I submit a few pics, but its Snack Time  Somewhere .

• Like 1

cso2 0719.JPG

As noted, the 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans fit perfectly.

anadama bread 0719.JPG

Lovely, smooth crumb, and I am entranced by the glossy, crispy crust.

We seem to have gotten over the rocky beginning to our relationship.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

That bread looks quite amazing. Would you care to share the recipe? Did you have any difficulty keeping the top crust from burning. That is my one complaint with the CSO in relation to bread. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

please also share the pans  size etc

Im always out of sink  ( not the faucet type )

Id like to get back to baking bread

not so much from my MachineBread

witch does its job well for toast and sandwich

not so much for dough that was re-tarded for flavor.

thank

@Anna N, the recipe is Peter Reinhart's. It's here.

@rotuts, the pans are my standard 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 Calphalon pans that I use for most loaves. They fit just perfectly.

I made up the soaker the night before, and started on the bread about noon (after I finished all my errands). All was according to the reicpe except I used perhaps 1/4 cup less flour, and as noted earlier, it took the loaves more than an hour to rise in the CSO, rather than the 20 minutes the instruction booklet suggested.  The molasses is locally made sorghum molasses, not strong at all. Very good flavor.

My daughter announced, when she smelled it, that she wanted cinnamon toast for dinner. I happily obliged. It makes most excellent cinnamon toast.

Don't ask. Eat it.

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Anna N, the recipe is Peter Reinhart's. It's here.

@rotuts, the pans are my standard 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 Calphalon pans that I use for most loaves. They fit just perfectly.

I made up the soaker the night before, and started on the bread about noon (after I finished all my errands). All was according to the reicpe except I used perhaps 1/4 cup less flour, and as noted earlier, it took the loaves more than an hour to rise in the CSO, rather than the 20 minutes the instruction booklet suggested.  The molasses is locally made sorghum molasses, not strong at all. Very good flavor.

My daughter announced, when she smelled it, that she wanted cinnamon toast for dinner. I happily obliged. It makes most excellent cinnamon toast.

Thank you I have bookmarked the recipe. Need to wonder around the townhouse here and see if I can find the necessary cornmeal.

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, kayb said:

cso2 0719.JPG

As noted, the 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans fit perfectly.

anadama bread 0719.JPG

Lovely, smooth crumb, and I am entranced by the glossy, crispy crust.

We seem to have gotten over the rocky beginning to our relationship.

Thanks for the lovely 'evidence', your loaves look wonderful!!!

• Like 1