• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

On 7/5/2016 at 9:03 AM, Shelby said:

Yeah, I think so too.  I meant one of the carts further on down the page.

No room for a cart in my fully-cabineted, galley style kitchen.

The thing that really kills me about the CSO is the size. Had it been quarter sheet pan size, it would be easy to say yes!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

That was a killer for me too. 1/4 sheet pan seems the smallest useful size and part of what made the BSO a great thing.

But I'm finding that most stuff I can make in the CSO and I don't miss the extra inch or so.

Wondering about a roast chicken though.  Time  to experiment

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'm waiting to see someone post pictures of that 45-pound chicken Amazon cites.

Me too!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight was steam baked par-boiled red potatoes.  (One large steam baked par-boiled red potato, actually.)  My website seems to be down for maintenance, so unfortunately no picture.

But probably the best such potato I have prepared.  Served with 30 second green beans, which did not grace the CSO.

Edit:  my server is back up so here is the potato picture:

CSOPotatoes07072016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/CSOPotatoes07072016.png

Please excuse the poor elderly green beans.  They tasted better than they looked.

The large red potato was boiled for 25 minutes, allowed to cool somewhat, then cut up and steam baked at 425 deg F. for 25 minutes.

This plus wine was dinner -- no meat, no bread.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
picture (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

i mix up my TML by eyeball.  I have noticed from time to time the TML does indeed seem a bit looser than that in the BVXL

but as I do not measure, can't say if the CSB made that difference.

I do note how 'wet'  the mixture is as I shape it.  wetter = looser.

I used to use just finely ground rolled oats ( ground in a blade grinder, the kind some use for coffee )  but now I add milk directly to the

ground oats , mix up , then add to the almost finished TML mixture.

thermapen the meatloaf and take out at 140.  if the bacon is not to my liking on the top, and at that temp its not, I torch the bacon rather than

leave it in the CSB.   that 140 might have something to do with the looseness, but it doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

Can anyone advise on a CSO sized steamer insert?  Something suitable for, say, English peas?

I have (humorously enough) a Cuisinart Chicken Steamer from the 1980's.  The insert's holes are just about the right size to keep a pea from falling through.  But the insert is far too large to be accommodated by the CSO.

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Can anyone advise on a CSO sized steamer insert?

I have this stainless mesh basketir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B007SPKR8 that I purchased to use as a steamer insert for the Instant Pot.   If I put the CSO wire shelf in the lower position, that basket will fit.  I assume this is for steam only as food in the bottom of the basket would be quite close to the lower heating elements.

47 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have this stainless mesh basketir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B007SPKR8 that I purchased to use as a steamer insert for the Instant Pot.   If I put the CSO wire shelf in the lower position, that basket will fit.  I assume this is for steam only as food in the bottom of the basket would be quite close to the lower heating elements.

Thanks, that should do, but ideally I'd like something just a little smaller.

And, yes, for steaming only.

For steaming things like little peas I just ordered a smaller basketir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00BR4GWN than the one @blue_dolphin linked above, from the same supplier.

How it works we shall see.

Edit:  the embedded amazon link is not working.  This is the basket:

https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Endurance-Precision-Stainless-Colander/dp/B00BR4GWN2/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&srs=12092818011&ie=UTF8&qid=1467933641&sr=1-2

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
broken link (log)
  • Like 3

Salmon skin left over from making salmon mixed with mayo and capers from left over salmon posted in dinner thread.  Broiled at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, sprinkled with salt.  

image.jpg

• Like 1

Mom just went to our dark side. She had a gift card from a settlement on Amazon plus this good price.  I think it was like $160.

I'm so excited for her!

Now she can experiment and tell me stuff... :) 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Mom just went to our dark side. She had a gift card from a settlement on Amazon plus this good price.  I think it was like $160.

I'm so excited for her!

Now she can experiment and tell me stuff... :) 

Get her to post here!

• Like 1

As shown in the dinner thread:

CSO07082016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/CSO07082016.png

The pork and the sweet potato were cooked together in the CSO at 140 deg F. for 120 minutes.  The final temperature measured 147 deg F.  Thus I perceive the CSO is no substitute for an anova.  The sweet potato was then cooked for a further hour and a half at 150 deg F.  Then steam baked at 375 deg F. for an hour and fifteen minutes.

I have never had a better sweet potato.  I ate the whole thing with every bit of skin.

But the pork was over done.  Not overdone by USDA standards, perhaps, but more done than I would have liked.  Didn't keep me from eating it.  But to add insult to injury the pork chop trashed the inside of the CSO.  Fortunately the inside of the CSO cleaned right up with paper towels.  However the takeaway is that protein needs more precise temperature control.

The beet greens were so good.  I sautéed them in the Falk with garlic and clarified butter after searing the pork chop.

• Like 5

the SP was in the oven , at different tmps for 285 min ?

Id starve if I had to wait that long, even if it was the best SP ever

or have several bottles of MR and forget the potato in the CSB

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the SP was in the oven , at different tmps for 285 min ?

Id starve if I had to wait that long, even if it was the best SP ever

or have several bottles of MR and forget the potato in the CSB

It does give new meaning to the term "slow cooking" doesn't it?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

ive been making Toasties in the CSB for some time.

TJ's Sourdough from ' Pigs that Fly '  ( a local NH bakery  Tj's rebrands and gets the Fz and they fill up the shelf every night when restocking )

tomato, olive oil, and cheese that i have on hand, which is Jack, and Parmesan-ish  ( TJ's again )

I love Brie, and TJ's has several varieties, much cheaper than other cheese shops and its the same stuff.

never buy the Brie that does not bulge in the wrapped tranche   get the version that bulges the most, and unwrap and keep in a cabinet at Room Temp

if you have a cat that is a bit of a Cheese Snob.   I finally got around to making the toastie w Brie :

Brie toastie 1.jpg

last nights,  with a final torching.  note the parchment paper.  ands a hint smokiness  ?  

o.O

and then breakfast this am :

Brie Toastie 2.jpg

i remembered to add a few WindowGrown green onion tops.

this was the best toastie Ive ever made.   the Brie flavor was very complex, but did not overwhelm the dish.   I was thinking of some

Blue Costello next, but that's too strong I think.   Brie Forever

Im now out of Brie so have to motor down to TJ's for some more.

thank got for 'statins, I say

light toasting first :  # 4 on the CSB, then a little olive oil, tomato, cheese  the Steam Broil until bubbling, final torching optional

Soooooo  Goooooood

• Like 5

That does look really good, Rututs.  

Here is where the Cuis will live.  When I use it I pull it out and to the left a bit.  It balances out nicely because the Breville is in the exact same place on the opposite side of the counter.

photo 1.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

It does give new meaning to the term "slow cooking" doesn't it?

And then there is Kenji's 24 hour sweet potato...

So, let's hear a comparison, please.

Standard toaster: I put in the number of slices I want, check the setting in case DH changed it, push the lever down.  A minute or so later the toast pops up, toasted more or less the way I wish.  Obviously I don't have toasties out of this deal.  It's just toast, destined to receive butter.

CSB: how much more elaborate is the procedure for plain toast in the CSB?  Is there a preheat required?  Steam?  How much time does the process take?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown