• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steam Juicer Questions

Douglas K

I finally am living in my Puerto Rico home full time. We’ve been here about 7 months, and I’m learning the rhythm of things here in the garden. I haven’t yet started making chocolate, but will be soon, and have a good local source already for cacao beans while I wait for my trees to grow. One thing I am learning is preserving things for later use, mostly fruit since I’ve been pretty good with the vegetables from when I was in Colorado. For example, in a few months we are going to be inundated with mangoes (trees are flowering now). We’ll freeze what we can, but a friend mentioned a steam juicer recently to me. I got to thinking it would be great for making juice from the leftovers of the mangoes after getting the easy part off for freezing. Or for making juice from guanabanas (soursop) which are a mess to clean. I was wondering if anyone here had some insight on Steam Juicers since I’ve not found much online regarding them.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Douglas K said:

I finally am living in my Puerto Rico home full time. We’ve been here about 7 months, and I’m learning the rhythm of things here in the garden. I haven’t yet started making chocolate, but will be soon, and have a good local source already for cacao beans while I wait for my trees to grow. One thing I am learning is preserving things for later use, mostly fruit since I’ve been pretty good with the vegetables from when I was in Colorado. For example, in a few months we are going to be inundated with mangoes (trees are flowering now). We’ll freeze what we can, but a friend mentioned a steam juicer recently to me. I got to thinking it would be great for making juice from the leftovers of the mangoes after getting the easy part off for freezing. Or for making juice from guanabanas (soursop) which are a mess to clean. I was wondering if anyone here had some insight on Steam Juicers since I’ve not found much online regarding them.

I think that @andiesenji is the expert on steam juicers. 

I have a steam juicer.   I do prickly pear and stone fruit (plums, peaches, etc) and berries sometimes.   Apples, pears occasionally.  Sometimes tomatoes (the juice is almost clear).  Never citrus.   

I have not done mangoes.  Sounds like it may work fine.   There's a mango steam juicing post on winemakingtalk.com that may be helpful to you.

I am not familiar with soursop in the fruit form, but I see the canned juice in stores.

Thank you! 

I found some more information out there, plus watched a couple of videos. I prefer reading because I can easier focus on my burning questions. I read that post you linked to @lemniscate. Looks like it will definitely work. Soursop is a pulpy, spiky fruit with embedded seeds. We have several in our tree now. I’ll take a photo when I get a chance. I love the flavor, and it’s very popular here, but a lot of work to clear the seeds from the pulp.